Big Question

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
This is something that is scaring me. What are the odds that the new iPod will have internet on it? I will seriously be upset if I buy the iPhone, and then have to buy a new 30gb 6 generation iPod that does the exact same thing, it just isnt a phone. Im kinda worried. Someone shine some light on the subject.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    fuzz_ballfuzz_ball Posts: 390member
    Well there is no guarantee, but about the only thing they could add is a limited WiFi capability. You would only be able to connect in the presence of WiFi because EDGE and 3G require cooperation from a carrier, and I doubt they'll open their network to a non-phone device (less revenue). It would also require a redesign of the iPod to look more iPhone like because I doubt the scroll wheel would be that great of an Internet navigation interface.

What you have to be worried about is a 30+GB iPhone coming along in 12 months, especially if you're one to carry tons of music/video with you.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    well the next iPod will be touch screen and like the iPhone, just not a phone. The internet is a big deal to me, and if it will be on the new iPod, I will seriously be upset, because then the iPhone is a waste, unless you use it as an iPod. Personally 4-8 doesnt do it for me. Dont get me wrong I love the iPhone I spent alot of time with it today flipping out about it, im just saying if the 6G iPod has internet I will be upset. I just hope its unlikely.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    "Jobs added that some of the Mac systems coming out over the next year will be "off the charts." He similarly hinted that the company was working on next-generation iPods that, like iPhone, would run an embedded version of the Mac OS X operating system."

Thats what gets me...an embedded version of Mac OS X.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Why would you be upset? I personally don't get it when people get upset that they don't have the absolute latest and greatest anymore. If you buy, clearly you want it. Buy the phone and be happy, or don't buy the phone and be happy. Fretting about what might come out that would give you buyers remorse is pretty pointless.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    davidzladavidzla Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Why would you be upset? I personally don't get it when people get upset that they don't have the absolute latest and greatest anymore. If you buy, clearly you want it. Buy the phone and be happy, or don't buy the phone and be happy. Fretting about what might come out that would give you buyers remorse is pretty pointless.

Well, I'm not in line for an iPhone, but I don't know whether to buy a current iPod with its interface or wait until a significantly overhauled version hits... this fall? And to your point about latest and greatest, I agree. If the "iPhone interface" doesn't make it a better music player then I'll pass.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    well, let's put it this way...

say the 6th gen ipod doesn't have wifi/safari built in. what's the novelty here?

* widescreen

* multi touch interface

* larger hard drive(? 100 gb? 80? who knows)

i mean, sure that would be an upgrade from gen 5.5 to gen 6, but sounds to me like it is just a little bit shy from greatness. (and i'm not being spoiled here, i realize the multitouch interface is a big deal).

putting wifi on the ipod is the next big step. i think it's even bigger of a deal when you take into account that it will sport such a gorgeous widescreen, solid OS and a magical input device at your fingertips.

not putting wifi would be a terrible way to cripple the other technologies you're building in. and wifi is not some gimmick, it turns your ipod into a minicomputer.

and using this reasoning then there's a good chance for apple to include note taking apps (it would be a shame having the multitouch screen and not being able to type stuff), widgets, email.

what about the camera? will gen 6 ipod be the first one with a camera?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    cato988cato988 Posts: 307member
    no matter what happens, i think apple needs to expect a large amount of canniblism. With all these "needed" features on all devices their individual significance will dwendle