Which pocketable camera takes decent video ?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I currently have camera and camcorder. I carryboth of them together when I travel, it get's to be a pain after a while. I'm looking for a slim pocketable camera and need to support Mac machine. I'm not expecting 3CCD video quality. I'd like the video to be 640x480 w/audio at 30fps.

How about the this camera? Any comment?

Sanyo Xacti VPC-CG65 Digital Movie Camera

Thank you so much!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I've been pleased with my Aiptek... and they now have an HD version for less than $300.

http://www.aiptek.com/Merchant2/merc...&Store_Code=AS

It'll fit in your pants pocket, but probably not in your shirt pocket.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    There are quite a few compact digital cameras with good movie modes. Check DCresource.com for reviews. Also, this doesn't belong in Future Hardware. Please post in an appropriate area in the future, like General Discussion or Appleoutsider.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    about 3 months ago i bought a panasonic fx-12. 7.2 megapixels, and takes full res NTSC video at full frame rate in Quicktime (motion or photo jpeg, forget which one). the quality of the video, for a digital camera, blew me away when i first looked at it.

on a recent trip to japan i didn't bother carrying my mini-dv camcorder with me, just used this camera with a 2 gig sd card (had my trusty g4 pismo with me as well to dump video files onto). i can import the video files into FCP and edit them there as well. fab camera.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    easyceasyc Posts: 69member
    I personally like the Optio line by Pentax. All of these cameras fit into an Altoids tin and have some nice features. Although not quit up there with certain aspects they are very durable and take nice pictures and good video for the price and size.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

I've been pleased with my Aiptek... and they now have an HD version for less than $300.

http://www.aiptek.com/Merchant2/merc...&Store_Code=AS

It'll fit in your pants pocket, but probably not in your shirt pocket.

Given the very low cost of SD cards now, that looks great.

Do the files import into iMovie/Quicktime Pro nicely?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    thttht Posts: 5,447member
    Canon PowerShot TX1

This is a camera that takes video. Some compromises, but does take 720p quality HD video like the Xacti. The Sanyo Xacti is a camcorder that takes photos. Coming from opposite ends of the spectrum.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

Given the very low cost of SD cards now, that looks great.

Do the files import into iMovie/Quicktime Pro nicely?

I haven't actually used THAT camera (the HD one)... nut it does have a USB2 interface, and it records as .mov files, using h.264 ... so it SHOULD import right to the Mac with no issues.... and ready to watch in QT or edit in iMovie if you wish.

Their older lower-res .mp4 camera works great with my Mac.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post

Canon PowerShot TX1

This is a camera that takes video. Some compromises, but does take 720p quality HD video like the Xacti. The Sanyo Xacti is a camcorder that takes photos. Coming from opposite ends of the spectrum.

The new canon TX1 looks promising and I read lot of good reviews!

However, I like the look and the style of the Sanyo Camcorder. I know they have the weather proof version but I'm not sure about its model#.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    I'm currently looking at the Xacti HD2. Obviously it's not going to be the best picture quality in the world but for me the ability to pocket a 720 video camera and 7 Mpx still camera is more important than the quality. It also promises to import in to iMovie HD nicely.

I was also looking at the CA65 which is the SD (Standard Def) SD (Secure Digital) camcorder with waterproofing down to 1.5metres.

On balance I think I'l wait until the HD version gets waterproof. Does anyone have any experience/comments on either in the meantime.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Future Hardware
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Future Hardware

Exactly.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gabriel.Dog View Post

The new canon TX1 looks promising and I read lot of good reviews!

However, I like the look and the style of the Sanyo Camcorder. I know they have the weather proof version but I'm not sure about its model#.

We have the TX1. Video is just beautiful. Buy a couple of 4 GB cards.