OpenML pitched as competitor to DirectX

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
<a href="http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0206/11.openml.php"; target="_blank">This could help Apple</a>

If Nvidia, ATI and other stalwarts of the graphics industry support this standard then I cannot see it failing unless it is technically inferior to Directx.

It is never good to have one company control the API to your graphics. This is very troublesome to Microsoft. Directx is not only used for games but for 3D as well. This would break Microsofts dominance in Games and severely weaken their gains in the 3D market.

This would probably also help Linux as well.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    Um, what advantage does this have over OpenGL?

It would be wiser for people to work at improving and promoting OpenGL than starting from scratch with yet another graphics API. Open GL is already available and in use on Macintosh, Windows, and Linux, and is used by many games, especially stuff based on the Quake engines.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    [quote]Originally posted by rogue27:

<strong>Um, what advantage does this have over OpenGL?

It would be wiser for people to work at improving and promoting OpenGL than starting from scratch with yet another graphics API. Open GL is already available and in use on Macintosh, Windows, and Linux, and is used by many games, especially stuff based on the Quake engines.</strong><hr></blockquote>

OpenML contains the full structure of OpenGL. SGI is of course a member. OpenGL is merely the 2D/3D API..it doesn't handle Audio, Networking and other vital components like DirectX does. This would be like having Super OpenGL. We'd have a crossplatform API that deals with the entire core of not just gaming but virtually anything dealing with Audio/Video and Graphics. It would be a tremendous boon to the industry. The problem will be Microsoft....are they big enough to stop it. I don't think so....not as long as ATI, Nvidia 3Dlabs and other are on board.

This API is truly the key towards ending the crappy amount of games on the Mac. This has been tried before with OpenPlay, OpenAL and other tech...but those techs never had Big Wigs supporting them.

Cross your fingers. Imagine EVERY game being cross platform right out the box.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    Ah, I guess I did not read it close enough. In that case, it's a very good idea.