WTF is up with the 24" imac configurations??

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I noticed that the 24" imac has 2 configurations. One is a 2.16ghz model and the other is a 2.33ghz model.

Its a $250 difference between the 2.

WTF is up with that? Isn't that kinda lame?

I mean, really what kind of performance difference are you going to get out of .17 ghz???

Shame on apple for trying to squeeze $250 outta people for such a pointless "upgrade".

They should just make the 24" model 2.33ghz and be done with it.

Good thing I am waiting for the next big update anyway. :-)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

I noticed that the 24" imac has 2 configurations. One is a 2.16ghz model and the other is a 2.33ghz model.

I mean, really what kind of performance difference are you going to get out of .17 ghz???

Shame on apple for trying to squeeze $250 outta people for such a pointless "upgrade".

They should just make the 24" model 2.33ghz and be done with it.

Good thing I am waiting for the next big update anyway. :-)

Here's what Apple has to say about that:

"To enjoy the greatest possible performance for processor-intensive tasks such as video rendering, gaming, and more, you can upgrade the Intel Core 2 Duo processor in your 20-inch or 24-inch iMac from the standard 2.16GHz to an even faster 2.33GHz."
  • Reply 2 of 10
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:

It's not a matter of tactics, it's that, to get that upgrade, they need to custom build an iMac for you with a whole new logic board. No one said it was a worthwhile upgrade, but it's there if you want it.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    Still think its silly. :-)
  • Reply 4 of 10
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:

Still think its silly. :-)

If you can tell me how many they sell at the upgrade price, then I can tell if it's silly or if it's good economic sense or cents.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

It's not Apple that's at fault. Intel charges $214 more for a 2.33Ghz CPU than a 2.16GHz:

Intel Price List

So Apple are only charging you $46 for the upgrade service.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    Well then I stand corrected. Intel is the silly one. :-)
  • Reply 7 of 10
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    What do you care what it costs? You already said that it's such a small increase that it essentially makes no difference (which is true) - so even if it was $20 more it would be wasted money.

Apple always does this - the "top of the line" item always carries a premium. It is standard marketing 101. There are lots of customers who always want the top of the line, and it's good marketing to have a product for them to buy. If you make it several hundred dollars more, then these customers are even more likely to buy it.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I'm looking at my wife's pc in the kitchen and am thinking 'how nice would an iMac look there'.

I know that contributes nothing to this thread but... my 2 cents.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I think it's silly that the MBP offers a 2.4GHz SR processor and 4GB of RAM, and the 24" iMac only offers a 2.33GHz processor and 3GB of RAM.

The iMac has to be updated soon, right?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

It's not a matter of tactics, it's that, to get that upgrade, they need to custom build an iMac for you with a whole new logic board. No one said it was a worthwhile upgrade, but it's there if you want it.

Not really. The processor is in a slot.