Exorbitant data rates keeping iPhone out of Canada?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 93
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ollebolle View Post

i wonder what are they gonna do in Belgium. here, it is forbidden to sell 2 products at once, like a subscription and a mobile phone(that's why we always pay full price for mobile phones).

in belgium you get 275min for 55 euros,

and these are the data plans with GPRS or 3G(only big cities)

Access Time Option (standaard)\t? 0,4158 / 5 min

(? 4,99/hour).

Access Volume Option\t? 0,50 / 100 KB\t

bundle of 10 MBt? 18,15 / month\t10 MB (accounted per 10 KB)\toutside the 10 MB: ? 0,0177 / 10 KB

A silly law.

That's much worse than in the States.

It seems the truth about other places is finally leaking out.
  • Reply 22 of 93
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 584member
    What also sucks is that the 3 big companies, Bell, Telus & Rogers, collectively decided to stop offering roaming numbers. It's like they have a tri-opoly or something.
  • Reply 23 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

Sorry, guys, but I'm the reason that the iPhone hasn't come to Canada yet.

Apple really hate me.

Don't feel so bad, we ALL hate you.

• Reply 24 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John the Geek View Post

I've never really understood Canada, Rogers is huge, it's the cable, TV, internet, phones... but it's Rogers.... That's like "Bob's Wireless" except his name is Roger. A better name wasn't available?

Maybe Rogers means something else in French?

Anyway, a lot of my artist friends live in Canada, so I hope they can get iPhones soon. Meanwhile, I'm still trying to get one in the US with a huge shortage right now. Let's get these things in stock people.

Think of the word *Monopoly*.
  • Reply 25 of 93
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John the Geek View Post

I've never really understood Canada, Rogers is huge, it's the cable, TV, internet, phones... but it's Rogers.... That's like "Bob's Wireless" except his name is Roger. A better name wasn't available?

Maybe Rogers means something else in French?

Anyway, a lot of my artist friends live in Canada, so I hope they can get iPhones soon. Meanwhile, I'm still trying to get one in the US with a huge shortage right now. Let's get these things in stock people.

In the UK (and the Canadians tend to speak a version of English closer to us than the Americans do), "roger" means "to fuck". Sounds like they're living up to their name.
  • Reply 26 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Don't feel so bad, we ALL hate you.

Do I smell a temp. ban?
  • Reply 27 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

Do I smell a temp. ban?

Yes, if you have no sense of humor.

• Reply 28 of 93
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It sounds like it would be a lot cheaper for Canadians to go the US to get an iPhone and then just pay roaming charges.

Roaming charges for data usage might be huge.
  • Reply 29 of 93
    Quote:

Yes, if you have no sense of humor.

Fair enough.

I'm only lacking an iPhone.

• Reply 30 of 93
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,096member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbravo556 View Post

A couple of years ago, all the wireless companies had unlimited data plans (before Rogers bought Fido), it was listed for $60 at Fido (I didn't check the other companies)...

And Rogers still let me keep my $40 unlimited on my Blackberry... mind you, it's a 957...

But that rate has me keeping that old piece of hardware for the type of (text) browsing that I regularily do.

It's not a phone, but the 957 does have a pager!
  • Reply 31 of 93
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Blame Canada!
  • Reply 32 of 93
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Am I wrong, but in Canada, the Competition Act makes it illegal to tie the sale of a product, the iPhone, to a specific provider, ATT or Rogers Canada, especially if Apple is to get royalty payments for each cell phone user throughout the duration of the subscription contract with the cell phone service provider.

Am I wrong or what?

Hopefully, Canadian consumers are protected by the Competition Act. If need be, I will swear a statement of complaint to start an investigation by Competition authorities.

Canadians will not be fleeced!!!

P.S.: Has anyone investigated the matter with American Antitrust authorities?

• Reply 33 of 93
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    The heady combination of angst, sadness, bitterness, and bite-the-lip-ness in this thread makes me feel bad for our friends up North.

Yet (I am very sorry), I can't help rolling on the floor laughing.... at the humor you guys can muster.

\
  • Reply 34 of 93
    Quote:

It seems the truth about other places is finally leaking out.

Brilliant.

I have certainly discovered that about France, if Paris is any indication, this week!
  • Reply 35 of 93
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Steep wireless data rates may be the primary reason Canadians have not yet been treated to Apple Inc.'s revolutionary iPhone handset, according to one expert.

"The barrier to the iPhone in Canada is not Apple," says Michael Geist, Canada research chair of Internet and e-commerce law at the University of Ottawa. "Rather, it is the lack of wireless competition that [...] leads to pricing that places Canadians at a significant disadvantage compared with other developed countries."

In the U.S., AT&T's combined iPhone service and data plans start at just $59.99 for 450 anytime minutes, 5000 additional night and weekend minutes, and unlimited data. But in Canada, as Geist notes, a comparable plan for Rogers Wireless -- the only carrier with an iPhone-compatible GSM network -- would currently run about $295 per month.

Rogers charges $60 for 500 anytime minutes, $25 for an additional $500 anytime minutes and a whopping $210 for 500MB data plan. Unlike AT&T, the Canadian carrier does not offer an unlimited data plan and its monthly minutes do not rollover to the next month if they go unused.

If Rogers does introduce the iPhone to its customers, it will have to make major changes to its data pricing, Geist told Canada's National Post on Monday. "I don't see how you can have an iPhone with the pricing structure that they're offering," he said.

In an email advisory sent to subscribers earlier this year, Rogers said that it was still sorting out iPhone availability and pricing terms with Apple. However, the carrier confidently claimed that it would be the only Canadian provider to offer the Apple handset.

Since then, no further details on the matter have surface. However, a recent posting to Best Buy's Canadian website hinted that an announcement could be imminent.

Not sure if we can believe the information posted above. Apparently there is no 500MB data plan available from Rogers. A sample data plan, e.g., their DataMax PDA plan which includes 350 voice minutes, unlimited nights and weekends and 25 mb data (which will yield approximately 200 emails and 10 websites daily) costs about $92 US per month. Blackberries have a different plan.

Interesting that comparing most of the cell phone plans whether US or Canada are quite similar. Unfortunately, there is no consistency in how each of their respective plans are tabled, making the attempt to compare services offered and charges for very difficult. If anything, Canadian prices tend to be lower than the US. For example, Canadians pay 99¢ for iTunes-but in Canadian dollars.

I think that we should move with caution attempting to assume what, where and how the Canadian program will rollout as we found with the final iPhone launch here. History tells us that Rogers' success is based on innovation and customer service. I would side with caution accepting some of the anecdotal comments posted here as a true reflection of the companies endeavors.

I would suggest that Rogers is no dummy. Canada, with a population basically that of California is a significant opportunity for the likes of the iPhone, and Rogers will do everything in its power to make it happen, thus satisfying their investors, Apple and most important its customers.

P.S. Did I just hear that Sprint has dropped a 1,000 customers for making too many service calls?
  • Reply 36 of 93
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Does anybody know if there is any infrastructural (is that a word?) reason for costs to be so high in Canada? I know it is a big country with a relatively small population, but I assume that Rogers would only be focusing on the population centers which would mitigate, to some extent, these costs.

How about the cold. Do the towers have to be constructed differently or with power-hungry deicers up there?

Or is it simply a case of a de facto monopoly that is trampling the people in Canada land?

I dunno. Its hard to believe that those extremely high costs are legitimate, but it is worth asking if anybody knows a reason why other than the simple money-grubbing, innovation-stunting, monopolistic bastards...

It is simply because there is no competition here. It is the problem in many industries here. No competition=high prices.

I was wondering from the beginning how the iPhone would go over here with all of the data extensive features. Either Canada won't get the iPhone or Rogers will wake up and smell the coffee and lower their data plan costs. That would be a win win all the way around. We would get the phone and lower prices. Rogers would dramatically improve their sales.
  • Reply 37 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Canada, with a population basically that of California is a significant opportunity for the likes of the iPhone......[/B]

Canada pop'n, end-2006: 32.5 million

California pop'n, end-2006: 36.5 million (= 112% of Canada)

Canada, land area (sq. miles): 4,000,000

California, land area (sq. miles): 160,000 (= 4% of Canada).
  • Reply 38 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Not sure if we can believe the information posted above. Apparently there is no 500MB data plan available from Rogers. A sample data plan, e.g., their DataMax PDA plan which includes 350 voice minutes, unlimited nights and weekends and 25 mb data (which will yield approximately 200 emails and 10 websites daily) costs about $92 US per month. Blackberries have a different plan.

Interesting that comparing most of the cell phone plans whether US or Canada are quite similar. Unfortunately, there is no consistency in how each of their respective plans are tabled, making the attempt to compare services offered and charges for very difficult. If anything, Canadian prices tend to be lower than the US. For example, Canadians pay 99¢ for iTunes-but in Canadian dollars.

I think that we should move with caution attempting to assume what, where and how the Canadian program will rollout as we found with the final iPhone launch here. History tells us that Rogers' success is based on innovation and customer service. I would side with caution accepting some of the anecdotal comments posted here as a true reflection of the companies endeavors.

I would suggest that Rogers is no dummy. Canada, with a population basically that of California is a significant opportunity for the likes of the iPhone, and Rogers will do everything in its power to make it happen, thus satisfying their investors, Apple and most important its customers.

I would think that if Rogers really wants the iPhone, and if they think it will earn them more money than they would without it, then they would work out out what it would be they would have to do to make that so.

Considering that the iPhone is a very web-centric device, a big part of the pull would be to have people USE the web with it. If the plans data costs are too high, that won't happen. If it doesn't happen, people won't buy the phone, and Rogers will make less money.

In economics 101 you learn that there is a point at which the price and the number of customers gives maximum profits.

When prices are too low, more customers results in lower profits. The same thing is true when prices are too high.

As I would never expect any company to do anything other than to maximize its profits (and rightly so!), they have to walk that fine line.

If almost no one uses internet access on their phone, then a very price is justified, but, if they want to have many more using it, then prices have to come down, but not below where they can maximize their profits from it.

Quote:

P.S. Did I just hear that Sprint has dropped a 1,000 customers for making too many service calls?

And, yes, Sprint is supposedly doing that.

But the average person with Sprint (I'm one) calls customer service once every 2 months. These people call customer service an average of over 22 times PER month!
  • Reply 39 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Canada pop'n, end-2006: 32.5 million

California pop'n, end-2006: 36.5 million (= 112% of Canada)

Canada, land area (sq. miles): 4,000,000

California, land area (sq. miles): 160,000 (= 4% of Canada).

This is also the reason why it's so expensive to get broadband, at really high speeds, across the USA.
  • Reply 40 of 93
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

It is simply because there is no competition here. It is the problem in many industries here. No competition=high prices.

I was wondering from the beginning how the iPhone would go over here with all of the data extensive features. Either Canada won't get the iPhone or Rogers will wake up and smell the coffee and lower their data plan costs. That would be a win win all the way around. We would get the phone and lower prices. Rogers would dramatically improve their sales.

Sounds just like the same comments that were coming forth just before the iPhone launch.