Exorbitant data rates keeping iPhone out of Canada?

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 93
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pandoering View Post

It is a law implemented to protect consumers.

How do you feel about having to switch to AT&T? Don't you want to have the iPhone and at the same time choose your own service provider?

From that post, it doesn't seem to be doing it.
  • Reply 82 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by www.teamhcn.com View Post

Of course the U.S. has more CAT scanners than Canada ? their population is 10 times the size of Canada's! And it's no wonder why Americans don't have to wait in line for operations: there's 48 million people who've been booted out of the line because they don't have health insurance. Canadians like myself might occasionally have to wait a bit for a medical procedure, but I can assure you that the vast majority of those who need an essential medical procedure get it quickly. As for medical care being "better" in the United States than in Canada, that sort of "we're number 1" arrogance drives me nuts. Does the United States have some great hospitals and doctors? Sure ? but so does Canada (we've been a world leader in the field of medical R&D for decades). Really, the difference in quality of care at U.S. and Canadian hospitals in negligible. In fact, one of the only differences it that visiting a Canadian hospital won't lead to you having to sell your house and declare bankruptcy. Oh, and Canada doesn't have a Martin Luther King, Jr. medical center; we don't put elderly patients in taxi cabs and dump them off in the projects because they can't afford medical care.

Not quite! We have ten times the population, but at least 50 times the numbers of scanners, or any high tech medical equipment.

You would be surprised that people do not get "kicked" out. Hospitals normally accept people, and there are free clinics whose doctors give service.

What started this is not me, but the "bragging" of those from other countries.

It's interesting that so many Canadians come here for medical care they can't receive up there, because it isn't allowed, or the equipment isn't available.
  • Reply 83 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

For your consideration:

? Average in-hospital treatment costs are nearly twice as much in the U.S. ($20,673 U.S. vs. $10,373)

? There are 9.9 qualified nurses per 1000 population in Canada as compared to 7.9 nurses per 1000 population in US (so you get a highly personalized care!)

? Overall satisfaction with the surgical experience is similar in both countries (85.3% U.S. and 83.5% Canada).

? The number of acute care hospital beds in Canada is 3.0 per 1000 population as compared to 2.8 in US

? Canadians have lower rates of in-hospital mortality (1.4% Canada vs. 2.2% U.S.).

? Administrative costs consume more of the total cost of treatment in the U.S. (38.2% of total costs in the U.S. vs. 31.7% in Canada).

? In-hospital cost of coronary artery bypass graft surgery (CABG) in the U.S. is 82.5 % higher in the U.S. than in Canada.

? The mortality rate for end-stage renal disease is 47% higher in the U.S. than in Canada. Adjusted monthly costs of treatment are $503 higher in the U.S.

? Fifty-seven percent (57%) of U.S. patients have reprocessed dialyzers used on them, compared with 0.0% of Canadian patients.

? Compared with the American counterparts, low-income Canadians have a significant survival.

? Advantage for 13 of the 15 kinds of cancer studied.

? One-year mortality rates following myocardial infarction are virtually identical for both countries (34.3% U.S. vs. 34.4% Canada).

? Canada has a higher rate of annual bone marrow transplants (0.89 per 100,000 population vs. 0.81per 100,000 in the U.S.)

? Canada has lower mortality rates for patients 65 and older three years after both low-mortality (18.52% U.S. vs. 15.31% Canada) and moderate-mortality (19.19% U.S. vs. 16.63% Canada) procedures.

? Survival rate for four disease condition is higher in Canada than in America:

o Colorectal cancer: 113 Canada vs. 108 U.S.

o Childhood leukemia: 118 vs.110

o Kidney transplants 113 vs. 100

o Liver transplants 123 vs. 102

? The prescription drugs and medicines are far less expensive in Canada.

As for monopolistic tendencies, Rogers Cable (Toronto) charges $59 CDN for digital TV (including the box and access fee) and you get a choice from a 1,000 movies a month, up to 225 channels, up to 24 timeshifting channels and 16 HD channels. Whereas Time Warner Cable (Buffalo) its $52 US for Basic, Standard, plus 25 Digital Channels.Access up to 250 total channels, Movies on Demand, Free on Demand, Music Choice, and access to 8 High Definition Channels. Basically it appears they are equal and similar price comparisons are evident when you compare wireless and internet services.

As I pointed out before, the pre-launch iPhone outcry about how AT&T and Apple were going to rip us off was enormous. Turns out, much of the noise was for nothing primarily because the iPhone brought with it a need to re-structure the pricing plans due to the more ease of use, reduced support, services and infrastructure required to make it function. I would suggest that Rogers will provide a similar plan for Canada and that it will include unlimited data. It may or may not be priced the same but it will be close. What many haven't taken in consideration, much of the costs Canadians have had to bear building and supporting their wireless, cable and internet was borne by a low Canadian dollar. Now things are changing significantly, particularly in the past few months as their economy strengthens and yes the US weakens.

I can't remember exactly, but when the iTunes Music Store was introduced in Canada, the price per song was 99¢ CDN, however, their dollar was about 85¢US. Canada got a better deal. Sure their selection may be a little smaller and they had to wait much longer, but again (and it was commented here at AI) the pre-launch outcry was the same. Funny how in both cases, i.e., for the post-launch muted commentary for the iPhone and the iTunes (US/Canada), was in such contrast to the pre-launch screaming how "the world's coming to an end," because of the greedy likes of the corporate giants such as Apple and AT&T.

Sounds good. Where did you get the numbers from?
  • Reply 84 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

From that post, it doesn't seem to be doing it.

It's true that at this moment this is probably the reason why we can't buy the iPhone yet. But in the end if Apple wants to sell in Europe, they will have to comply with local legislation.

Another example is Apple Care. Apple expects us to pay up after 'just' one year. In Europ Apple now offers standard 2 years of protection because they have to.

All in all, it takes a longer time, but in the end I think the consumer benefits.
  • Reply 85 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

There seems to be a perception that Canadians pay more, however, if you exam the fine print (which is very difficult to compare individual service plans) it appears that the prices between Canadian and US services are quite similar.

For example, Rogers has unlimited incoming calls for free in some of their plans or an extra $10 CDN as an option. We can't seem to find that in the AT&T plans.

Canadian plans offer unlimited nights and weekends period. No need to for roll-over as is necessary with the 5000 minute offers.

A Canadian colleague apparently pays only for the time (to the second) for his calls which was offered in the early cell days. No one minute minimum.

It depends on the company.

With Sprint, I get unlimited nights (from 7:00PM) and weekends as well, and they bill with the second. Unlimited data (3G) for $15 a month.

I can't speak to Canadian plans, because it was Canadians who mentioned what their plans cost.
  • Reply 86 of 93
    found this today. gives those of you who don't live here a taste of what things are like.

link:http://www.thomaspurves.com/2007/04/...e-data-access/
  • Reply 87 of 93
    Urge to kill rising?
  • Reply 88 of 93
    sho38sho38 Posts: 21member
    Yes Data plans are ridiculous in Canada...I never noticed it until now that the US has unlimited data plans! Up until yesterday, I was paying $40CDN per month for 1MB of data on my Blackberry plan!! 1MB!! $40!!! Then Rogers generously upgraded the plan to 7MB at the same rate!! WOOHOO!!

They used to have a $60 unlimited blackberry plan when Blackberrys first rollout to the market. I would think that over time, there would be more blackberry users and the price should have driven down. Instead, they cut off the unlimited plan and charges us an obscene amount on data!!
  • Reply 89 of 93
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I'm paying less for my iPhone than my old cell phone. I rarely used data on my old phone due to it being so expensive, so it was limited to special purposes and special occasions. Frankly WAP sucked too.

But with my iPhone I've already downloaded 60+ MB over EDGE and that excludes all the WiFi traffic. This is only after 2 weeks.

You want that unlimited data plan.
  • Reply 90 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

thirded!

It seems its true then Rodgers SUCKS!

i'm with rogers and they actually have very good reception, and i've never had a problem with them. except their customer service sucks bawls.
  • Reply 91 of 93
    merlemerle Posts: 10member
    I'm a little surprised that with the tone of this thread, no one has used the vulgarism above. Maybe I missed it, but it seems apropos.

Actually, looking it up perhaps the genders are mixed up.
  • Reply 92 of 93
    It's funny, by the time the iPhone makes it to Canada (rumoured Q4/Nov '07) G6 iPods should be available and will probably severely undercut sales. Newer product, more HDD space. Could spell bad news for the device.
  • Reply 93 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

CDMA coverage is definitely a lot better around here. If you have Rogers, you can't even travel 10 minutes outside of the city, or you won't have service anymore.

Which city is that?