New Worm Discovered For Macs???

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I just read this on Engadget and thought it was something worth posting for everyone.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/18/n...leased-in-lab/

The article mentions that this is NOT in the wild, but something that ought to be brought to light. Hopefully Apple will pounce on this.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    sadly, the creator of the worm sed that he doesn't have any plans of telling Apple of the hole
  • Reply 2 of 7
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    So he created a worm for OSX and tells everyone about it, but won't tell Apple or release the worm into the wild.

Sounds like the same people who have cloned a human but won't produce the clone or tell anyone anything about it.

If he could do what he says think of the cudos he would get from the pc fanboys, if he is not releasing it because he is a mac fanboy then why not tell apple ? and if he is neither then why tell anyone at all that he can do it.

I almost wish someone would create and release a worm for osx just to get the whole thing over and done with and to see what and how swift and effective apple's response will be.

(well we don't have the eternal 10.4.10 debate any more do we)

j.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brian Green View Post

I just read this on Engadget and thought it was something worth posting for everyone.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/18/n...leased-in-lab/

The article mentions that this is NOT in the wild, but something that ought to be brought to light. Hopefully Apple will pounce on this.

It seems bogus, unless proved otherwise. By the the way, if this is a new worm, could you refresh my memory and tell me when was the previous worm for Macs? Mac OS 9 and older do not count.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I know we've all heard the stories time and time again about all of these security issues and that we've always been spared before because we all belong to such a small market share. When I saw that article I thought it was better to inform everyone and have everyone laugh it off, than not to tell everyone and have something happen where everyone asked, "Why were we never told?"

One can only hope that there's a strong presence of security engineers that work on vulnerabilities all the time and could all pounce on something new in the wild if something did occur. Ideally, the OS could handle any such attack without them having any success, which seems to be what we have right now.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brian Green View Post

I know we've all heard the stories time and time again about all of these security issues and that we've always been spared before because we all belong to such a small market share. When I saw that article I thought it was better to inform everyone ...

And you rightly did so. Though this is not a subject to laugh at, but to be concerned with. It seems that many people try to get the laurels (and probably the money) of the one who will break Mac OS X in an "Ã* la Windows" manner. Everyone should be vigilant and practice prudent computer use today, be it Mac OS X or other.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    Indeed. Testing the evidence is a separate issue from what's possible and the need-to-know. I don't think anybody's having a go at you for posting about it.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    feartecfeartec Posts: 119member
    We have created cold fusion 11 times successfully (ha ha ha you stupid American pig-dogs, you will never know we just lied because cold fusion can obviously work and now you will think us, the USSR the supreme rulers of Cold Fusion) since it was discovered. Cold Fusion was discovered to be a farce. The first great electronic scare-spam.

Now, someone claims a mysterious worm is blood thirsty for some awesome code infractions, I say bring it on. As soon as it's released Apple will squash it, that is if the worm creator isn't Russian, or Russian Cold War-esque in which case it probably doesn't exist, they just really really want to make themselves look cool.