Tracing

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Is there a piece of software that runs in X, that traces bitmaps into vectors? Like Streamline. That was the handiest thing back in the wild days of the 90's. But it makes my back teeth itch to have to boot 9 to trace seomthing. ANYHOO... If anybody knows from vector-tracing software, do let me know.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    1bgmnk1bgmnk Posts: 26member
    I don't know of any stand alone products, I do know that flash does a passible job, I'm not finding the option in illustrator but I know Freehand has an option similar, better, but similar to flash's.

k
  • Reply 2 of 4
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Freehand, Create, CorelDraw all do this I think, but none are standalone tracing apps. Freehand is probably the best at this.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    scott f.scott f. Posts: 276member
    [quote]Originally posted by Auntie Aubrey:

<strong>Is there a piece of software that runs in X, that traces bitmaps into vectors? Like Streamline. That was the handiest thing back in the wild days of the 90's. But it makes my back teeth itch to have to boot 9 to trace seomthing. ANYHOO... If anybody knows from vector-tracing software, do let me know.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Adobe? Illustrator also has an auto-trace tool that works well.... but it's not as *easy* and flexible as Streamline? was (is?).
  • Reply 4 of 4
    jobesjobes Posts: 106member
    you can do it in flash mx (and earlier versions)... convert a bitmap to a vector image ... not brilliant but it works, then you can just copy/paste into illustrator or whatever.

flix pro will convert quicktime footage into vector artwork ... film or stills ... i saw a good review of it on creativemac.com .. and it's fully X native now

and finally there is a standalone app, i think it is norwegian and possibly named after a famous artist ... have never seen any reviews of it but it claims to be the only standalone X-native solution. i read about it last week but can't check my bookmarks as i am at another terminal now ...

hope this helps