Purported photos of new iMac keyboard stir debate

Comments

• Reply 221 of 244
    as i said in the which forum member is steve jobs thread, the keyboard is going to have the "aluminum look". Soon the iMac will appear on the market, and it as well will have the same look. I am teh steve.
  • Reply 222 of 244
    Insider from czech branch of Foxconn CONFIRMED, that THIS IS a NEW KEYBOARD for iMacs, which will be in silver aluminium coat.

Strongly secured bay of this factory manufacturing new iMacs already.

Also said, that August 7th is too early date, but just in his opinion.
  • Reply 223 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMacExpectant View Post

Apple had better put this new iMac out before the Paris show. By then you feel compelled to wait another month for Leapord to come installed.
  • Reply 224 of 244
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,390moderator
    Quote:

Insider from czech branch of Foxconn (Pardubice, Czech Republic) CONFIRMED, that THIS IS a NEW KEYBOARD for iMacs, which will be in silver aluminium coat.

Nice to hear confirmation but if August the 7th is too early did he give his own estimate, maybe a couple of weeks later? I guess Apple could still launch it and increase the shipping time just to let us see what it looks like.
  • Reply 225 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bogg View Post

The raised part that holds the USB ports goes over 90% of the bottom of the keyboard. Look at the pictures of the bottom of the keyboard and you'll see that the "heel" actually goes almost from one side to the other.

And I still don't get your "USB port is 2d", it looks perfectly fine for me

Look at that picture that I targeted on and look at the angle of the shot with how the keys line up. You can see the sides of the keys that would be nearly on top of this 'heel', but you cannot see the side of the heel itself. Does anyone else see what I am talking about, or am I just crazy? If no one agrees with me within a day I'll drop it and you win.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logan09 View Post

I would have thought the F3 key would be for Spaces, and not expose (if that's what you mean by dedicated expose key). I would assume the normal expose keys would be the same. I reckon F4 must be either sleep or time machine.

That makes sense. But moving the volume controls doesn't.
  • Reply 226 of 244
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    I wonder if the color labels indicate that perhaps there might be a black version...or whatever the dark version of "sea shell 1" might be.
  • Reply 227 of 244
    fairlyfairly Posts: 102member
    Totally hate it.
  • Reply 228 of 244
    idoaudioidoaudio Posts: 22member
    Am I the only one who noticed the placement of the USB ports? Why would Apple put them back on the sides of the keyboard again? That puts a USB cable poking out right where your hand is mousing.

I love this keyboard, but HAAAAAATE the USB ports.
  • Reply 229 of 244
    idoaudioidoaudio Posts: 22member
    Someone was eluding to this above... look at the keys directly above the USB port in the above photo. Look at the left hand side of the keys. You can see the left edge of the keys, but there is no left edge of the USB port directly below them.

Huh?
  • Reply 230 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by idoaudio View Post

Someone was eluding to this above... look at the keys directly above the USB port in the above photo. Look at the left hand side of the keys. You can see the left edge of the keys, but there is no left edge of the USB port directly below them.

Huh?

First of all, I was not eluding to anything, I don't even think that I was alluding to it as much as I flat out said that, but that is besides the point, which is: Yay, someone agrees with me.
  • Reply 231 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Nice to hear confirmation but if August the 7th is too early did he give his own estimate, maybe a couple of weeks later? I guess Apple could still launch it and increase the shipping time just to let us see what it looks like.

He said that he would believe in the end of August more, but it's just feeling. He's not working for "Apple part" of Foxconn. It's just about "sometimes I can see something throug the open doors" .

I definitely agree with your second sentence. I just need to know, what to expect, I can wait with shopping \
  • Reply 232 of 244
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Insider from czech branch of Foxconn (Pardubice, Czech Republic) CONFIRMED, that THIS IS a NEW KEYBOARD for iMacs, which will be in silver aluminium coat.

Hey, don't say much about location. You may give a hard time to someone. You can still edit your post.
  • Reply 233 of 244
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    ok fine new keyboard is a proto or a motto.. i'm sick of it.. WHEN WILL IT BE ANOUNCED? Amazon is already giving 5 - 7 days for the 17" and 20" with only the 17" basic and 24" being available and ready to ship in 24 hrs..

So again.. WHEN ?

• Reply 234 of 244
    fishafisha Posts: 126member
    Quote:

Not really. Standard SLA air frieght would have that across the ponds in 24hrs to Apples WW main hubs. 1 to 2 day distribution from there to local hubs / stocks . . . so even starting today thats 3rd or 4th August with local hubs having stock ready to ship.

And thats not including that the supplier may have been producing / shipping for a week or so already.
  • Reply 235 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fisha View Post

Not really. Standard SLA air frieght would have that across the ponds in 24hrs to Apples WW main hubs. 1 to 2 day distribution from there to local hubs / stocks . . . so even starting today thats 3rd or 4th August with local hubs having stock ready to ship.

And thats not including that the supplier may have been producing / shipping for a week or so already.

You're right and according to recently announced press event for 7th August we'll see very soon, what Steve's boys prepared Finally!!!
  • Reply 236 of 244
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mandricard View Post

Whether or not it is called "command key," I think it makes no sense to remove ALL visible apple-branding from the top of the KB. I think this is not a production unit... if real at all.

though it does look super-cool!

Hope Springs Eternal,

Mandricard

AppleOutsider

No visible logo:

As a switcher the double-named keys always confused me -- and the "Klingon" keyboard short cuts in the menus still do -- e.g. is the ^ for the ctrl or the option (or is it alt, and what does one use fn-alt for anyway?). So, the Command key, even with another Klingon symbol that can't be typed is an improvement in my eyes. I would've gone for Command/CMD.

But you do have a point. Plenty of room for an Apple logo above the cursor keypad.

Re other posters: I miss the "smily Mac face" at bootup about as much I miss "tools" menus being called "goodies" on the original Mac. The "snoring" sleep indicator on my iBook is a super cool design touch, but those others just made Macs seem like toys instead of serious machines.
  • Reply 237 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jubelum View Post

:Republicans start pointless wars. Democrats make sure we lose them:

I know this doesn't fit the topic, but it's your tag line, so just for the record:

Iraq can be easily argued as a "pointless war" started willfully by W (R) -- and the current peace-mongering congress (D) is filled with Democrats who were out of the mainstream activists during the Vietnam era -- and this may presage how the future will go. But in terms of a longer view of history, your facile phrase doesn't hold water, especially given that Congress has only integrally inserted itself into the war-making process in the last few decades, and gave earlier prexies far more latitude.

JFK (D) sent American advisors into Vietnam, and LBJ staged the Gulf of Tonkin incident which made it an American war. Nixon (R), under Democrat and Yippie/hippie/Weathermen pressure, did get the troops out.

(JFK, to his credit, did stand up to the Soviets during the Cuban Missile Crisis, and to his shame, not to Castro after the Bay of Pigs rebels felt they had guarantees of American support.)

Korea started under Truman (D), Eisenhower (R) secured a cease-fire.

WWII started on FDR's (D) watch and was won with a Democrat congress.

During WWI Wilson (D) brought America in.

The mere prospect of dealing with Reagan got our Iranian hostages home, and Reagan (R) started, won and ended his little Caribbean intervention in a few weeks. He also scared the bejesus out of Khadaffy, who has since mostly made nicey-nice, and we sadly lost a bunch of bivouacked troops in Lebanon. And oh yeah, we won the 40 year Cold War under his policies, which Germans, Czechs, Slovaks, Poles, Hungarians, Lithuanians, Estonians and many others will tell you was hardly pointless.

Bush I (R) started and won back Kuwait's independence in Gulf War I.

Clinton (D) did something in Kosovo, but I'm not sure who won or lost what, and then bombed an aspirin factory somewhere east of here. He also used troops to guarantee Haiti's right to remain the poorest, most miserable country in the hemisphere. Somalia was another short-term botch job.

And somebody captured the dope-dealing president of Panama (name happily forgotten) by playing loud heavy metal music. Or something like that.

That leaves only W (R) and the current crew in Congress possibly fitting your mold, and then on Iraq much more than Afghanistan.

Care to reconsider??
  • Reply 238 of 244
    fishafisha Posts: 126member
    Quote:

Care to reconsider??

Care to not bite the bait and take the thread completely off topic unnecessarily ???

Quote:

Whether or not it is called "command key," I think it makes no sense to remove ALL visible apple-branding from the top of the KB. I think this is not a production unit... if real at all.

It does make sense as for those sorts of things to get built, you'd still need to send the thing off to a machine shop of some sort, you'd take off the branding to help disguise whose keyboard it is when its there.
  • Reply 239 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fisha View Post

Care to not bite the bait and take the thread completely off topic unnecessarily ???

Guilty as charged. I need a life, obviously. Or at least a little restraint. Or to be placed in restraints!

Nevermind.
  • Reply 240 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by socokid View Post

No way in hell would a keyboard like this fly. It's a photoshop job no doubt.

I can already see the carpel tunnel lawsuits... flat keyboard? You guys are kidding, right? There are very real, very good reasons dektop keyboards are the way they are. Angled, stepped, heavy enough to not move, etc... The necessity for them being flat on a laptop is also blindingly obvious.

If you knew anything about ergonomics, you would know that it is much better to have your keyboard at a flat position or negative angle than to have an angled keyboard that curves up. Forcing your fingers to strike keys on an upward-sloping plane is just asking for a RSI.