Rapper Eminem sues Apple (again)

13»

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 49
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    I wonder what might happen if Eminem prevails. This could create the opportunity for Apple and other music download sources to negotiate directly with the artists for their music, thereby cutting out the music labels.
  • Reply 42 of 49
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post


    I wonder what might happen if Eminem prevails. This could create the opportunity for Apple and other music download sources to negotiate directly with the artists for their music, thereby cutting out the music labels.



    I don't think any signed band can do that until their contract runs out. I'm fairly sure that they sign an exclusive distribution agreement for all their works for a certain time period. In most cases, I think the band is basically forgotten by the time the contract runs up.
  • Reply 43 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    Making a song is a lot harder than that description lets on, and it's not cheap, particularly studio time, and it's not just one recording take, I don't think anyone is that good.



    Don't say that... All the silly young teenagers who were misled, might just turn into maniac hip-hop heads.

    Why? Because they read the reality... But remember, thinkofthechildren.
  • Reply 44 of 49
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    I don't think any signed band can do that until their contract runs out. I'm fairly sure that they sign an exclusive distribution agreement for all their works for a certain time period.



    As others have pointed out, what is covered by distibution agreements (CDs, digital downloads) is an area of some considerable confusion. I think that this suit could allow for some clarification although I do not understand why the plaintiffs chose not to sue Universal.
  • Reply 45 of 49
    shaminoshamino Posts: 481member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post


    I wonder what might happen if Eminem prevails. This could create the opportunity for Apple and other music download sources to negotiate directly with the artists for their music, thereby cutting out the music labels.



    The only way Eminem can prevail is if he owns his copyrights and didn't sign them over to Universal as a part of his contract.



    The vast majority of artists published by major labels do not own their own copyrights, and therefore have no legal say in anything that happens to the music, once it is recorded and delivered to the label.
  • Reply 46 of 49
    My opinion, i don't think Eminem will win this court...

    Steve Jobs is 30 years in this business, he knows what to Do.
  • Reply 47 of 49
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shamino View Post


    The only way Eminem can prevail is if he owns his copyrights and didn't sign them over to Universal as a part of his contract.



    The vast majority of artists published by major labels do not own their own copyrights, and therefore have no legal say in anything that happens to the music, once it is recorded and delivered to the label.





    Sorry, I was not clear. This suit was filed not by Eminem but by his music publisher and his copyright manager. They contend that the rights assigned to Universal do not include permission to permit music downloads. This area is not well-defined in the courts and we may see many other suits to clarify the issues involved.



    Quote:

    In their complaint filed Monday, Eminem's music publisher and copyright manager, Eight Mile Style LLC and Martin Affiliated LLC, allege that although Apple pays a portion of the revenues it collects from Eminem downloads to recording giant Universal Music Group, Eight Mile Style and Martin Affiliated have never authorized Universal to allow the downloads.



    What I was suggesting is that this may, in the future, position publishers to directly arrange contracts with electronic music distributors (iTunes and others) leaving the major labels out of the picture WRT music downloads. I, for one, would love to see the artists being compensated better.
  • Reply 48 of 49
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by violo25 View Post


    My opinion, i don't think Eminem will win this court...

    Steve Jobs is 30 years in this business, he knows what to Do.



    ?



    Jobs has only been in the music distribution business for five years. Years of experience doing computers and computer animation doesn't translate to years of experience in the music business.
  • Reply 49 of 49
    shaminoshamino Posts: 481member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post


    Sorry, I was not clear. This suit was filed not by Eminem but by his music publisher and his copyright manager. They contend that the rights assigned to Universal do not include permission to permit music downloads. This area is not well-defined in the courts and we may see many other suits to clarify the issues involved.



    Regardless, their suit should be against Universal, not Apple. Apple can't be expected to know the details of an individual artist's contract, any more than you could expect Amazon or any other reseller to know.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post


    What I was suggesting is that this may, in the future, position publishers to directly arrange contracts with electronic music distributors (iTunes and others) leaving the major labels out of the picture WRT music downloads. I, for one, would love to see the artists being compensated better.



    Artists have this option right now.



    It has been many years since the time when you couldn't be successful without selling your soul to a label. If a performer today signs one of those contracts, he has only himself to blame when the label takes advantage.
Sign In or Register to comment.