Microsoft delays Office 2008 for Mac until mid-January

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    I wonder if they wised up and the delay might be to make a full-blown Outlook client for the Mac. Entourage is okay, but it is not Outlook. And most big companies run because of their Exchange server.

I really doubt MS wants to kill a product that makes them so much money for relatively little work.

Now, if they put in Project and Access, at that point I would say that would show MS is becoming an business applications company and getting out of the nightmare that is operating systems.
  • Reply 42 of 53
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

I gave up on Intuit and run the Windows versions of QuickBooks and Quicken in VMWare Fusion.

Ironically, the my most important financial applications are the only thing I run on virus-susceptible Windows. C'mon, Apple, give Inuit some competition the way you gave Adobe competition with Aperture!

Virtualization offers you some pretty good opportunities to mitigate that though. You aren't (or shouldn't be) using email or the main web through the virtualization, and I think the Windows virtual machine is behind the Mac's firewall, and that's covering almost all of the potential malware problems if you only use just that one program.
  • Reply 43 of 53
    murphywebmurphyweb Posts: 295member
    So call it nonsense if you want, but talking as someone who actually sells business communcations software to the enterprise i think i have some knowledge of what i am talking about.

Your point about Mac surviving in the corporate enviroment despite the lack of key business applications is blatantly not true! Mac has not survived in the corporate marketplace, there used to be a far higher percentage of macs in the enterprise 20 years ago than there are now. I know IT Managers who use mac personally and would not swap them for anything else and would love to get them into the office but they just cannot. Be it through purchasing decisions made at a very high level or just basic needs such as running the mission critical applications they need to run.

It used to be that the Art dept or the marketing dept could run Macs on a seperate network and not join in with the rest of the company, today this is changing, companies want everyone in the organisation using the same applications, communications have moved from the phone to the desktop and things like presence will only work properly if everyone using the same applications.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    Well this delay doesn't affect me at all so I think it's funny. Microsoft has a real hard time shipping products on time, don't they?

I prefer iWork to Office many times over, mainly because iWork is less bloated and much cleaner looking, not to mention iWork documents look a lot nicer.

I wonder if some of the higher ups in Microsoft had something to do with this? Delay a Universal version of Office to try and prevent people from buying Macs. Try and make people see their "dependence" on Microsoft.

Oh well, iWork '08 may well be arriving this week so this news might be forgotten quickly.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    dprdpr Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CharlesP2009 View Post

Well this delay doesn't affect me at all so I think it's funny. Microsoft has a real hard time shipping products on time, don't they?

I prefer iWork to Office many times over, mainly because iWork is less bloated and much cleaner looking, not to mention iWork documents look a lot nicer.

I wonder if some of the higher ups in Microsoft had something to do with this? Delay a Universal version of Office to try and prevent people from buying Macs. Try and make people see their "dependence" on Microsoft.

Oh well, iWork '08 may well be arriving this week so this news might be forgotten quickly.

Wow, it's amazing how quickly you forgot that Leopard got delayed from Spring '07 to October? I realize that most of us dislike Microsoft immensely and love every opportunity to bash them, but just be a little careful before you bash their inability to ship products on time.
  • Reply 46 of 53
    Sure, Apple delayed Leopard, but Microsoft has had far more delays far more frequently. I was quite ticked when Leopard got delayed, and I'm not nuts about how Apple's policy of shipping products late in a month usually means the last day or two of the month. Oh well.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dpr View Post

Wow, it's amazing how quickly you forgot that Leopard got delayed from Spring '07 to October? I realize that most of us dislike Microsoft immensely and love every opportunity to bash them, but just be a little careful before you bash their inability to ship products on time.

• Reply 47 of 53
    When buying a new Mac, it is important to install X11 right away before losing the disc. Then you may run OpenOffice.org

X11 should be pre-installed or available as a download because discs are obsolete.

You must run an X11 update from Apple's Software Update before OpenOffice will run on Apple X11. Before Apple released this X11 update, it was left broken for a while. X11, KDE, Gnome and Hildon are the desktops of the future. Neooffice is not recommended for professional use as it uses an obscure proprietary desktop.

iWork is OK but it would be more useful if Apple sold templates for OpenOffice in Open Document format instead of writing a whole new obscure program with new file formats.
  • Reply 48 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pythonista View Post

When buying a new Mac, it is important to install X11 right away before losing the disc. Then you may run OpenOffice.org

Uhm, neooffice?

edit: What do you mean by obscure proprietary desktop?? It runs on java and loads a little slow, but apart from that i find it way more pleasing that running any X11 program.
  • Reply 49 of 53
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    I find only Excel to be truly important for my work.

An extreme point of view would be: Everybody who relies on Word or PowerPoint in his workflow might reconsider his workflow. Most tasks for which these apps are used can be done equally well or even better with other apps.

This certainly is an exaggeration, but it sums up my personal opinion about these two apps. There is simply very little in these apps that appeals to me.
  • Reply 50 of 53
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

X11 should be pre-installed or available as a download because discs are obsolete.

You must run an X11 update from Apple's Software Update before OpenOffice will run on Apple X11. Before Apple released this X11 update, it was left broken for a while. X11, KDE, Gnome and Hildon are the desktops of the future. Neooffice is not recommended for professional use as it uses an obscure proprietary desktop.

iWork is OK but it would be more useful if Apple sold templates for OpenOffice in Open Document format instead of writing a whole new obscure program with new file formats.

That is complete nonsense with generous helpings of FUD.

Every paragraph in that reply has a factual error.
  • Reply 51 of 53
    Quote:

I agree that it's really quite inconvenient that I cannot download X11 for MacOS. I did temporarily lose my OSX installation disc a few months ago, and it was precisely when I wanted to add X11.

Quote:

Neooffice is not recommended for professional use as it uses an obscure proprietary desktop.

I personally avoid NeoOffice too. But my reasons are different. As long as I keep on using OOo's official distribution, I feel more secure that I am maintaining feature compatibility with the stable releases of OOo for other platforms (I regularly use Windows, Linux, and FreeBSD computers as well as my Mac), which are generally released 2 - 4 months before their feature-compatible NeoOffice counterparts.
  • Reply 52 of 53
    OpenOffice's Mac version should be out soon enough. Probably out before Microsoft releases Office 2008.

I doubt I will purchase MS Office if OpenOffice is available.
  • Reply 53 of 53
    pm149pm149 Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post

OpenOffice's Mac version should be out soon enough. Probably out before Microsoft releases Office 2008.

Well, if your definition of *soon* is along the lines of "in a year or two" you might be right.

Seems to be a long time to wait when you could use NeoOffice right now and get a stable, native suite.