Apple Mail and Attachments

sidsid
Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Found an issue here at work that I am stumped on and am looking for some assistance.

New employee is using Apple Mail along with MS:Office X with the latest updates. He sends a Word document to various employees in the office. Those on Entourage and Apple Mail get the file no problem. Two employees using our company's Google Hosted mail accounts are having the attachment lose its file name and extension.

As a test, I had the employee send me the file and sure enough, through the Google Hosted email, it would lose its filename and extension. I had the employee send the word doc both with the option of it being "Windows Friendly" and not checked. With it checked, the file would come through fine. Without it checked, loss. So I have at least narrowed it down to that setting.

The conundrum is that we are all on Macs here and that option shouldn't be necessary. Anyone experience these problems before?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    It just means that the Google mail software is emulating the broken behavior of Outlook when it comes to attachments. Too bad really, file a bug with Google.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    I use Apple Mail to send e-mail to Gmail with attachments daily without issue. If this was a problem with Gmail, Mac users would have heard about it by now...

How big are the Word files?

Any non-Windows friendly characters in the file names?

Is there macros in the Word documents?

Hopefully, we can pin down the problem for you....

Dave
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karl Kuehn View Post

It just means that the Google mail software is emulating the broken behavior of Outlook when it comes to attachments. Too bad really, file a bug with Google.

Outlook (not Outlook Express) has always been solid for me. What is the issue?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    sidsid Posts: 12member
    The files shouldn't be any bigger than 1 Meg. No non-Windows friendly characters that I know of and no macros. Very strange issue because I rarely ever get problems from folks using Apple Mail. Usually, it's a "How do I...". I did select the option on the employee's machine saying "Always send Windows friendly attachments" and that has seemed to have solved the problem for the time being.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sid View Post

The files shouldn't be any bigger than 1 Meg. No non-Windows friendly characters that I know of and no macros. Very strange issue because I rarely ever get problems from folks using Apple Mail. Usually, it's a "How do I...". I did select the option on the employee's machine saying "Always send Windows friendly attachments" and that has seemed to have solved the problem for the time being.

Are you sure that antivirus apps aren't stripping the attachments at the server level or Wintel PCs?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Do the file names of the attachments contain spaces? Try replacing them with underscores. This might help.