okay, one last question about the big switch

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I know I've been pestering you guys with all sorts of questions about switching from Windows to Mac, but I've figured a lot of things out. I even found out that Windows has a built-in file converter, so I made all my WMAs to MP3s. Sweet deal.

However, one last question: Is there any way I can retrieve my files on my home computer (the PC that I'm on now) from my Macbook (which I shall be getting next week)? Can I put the files up for sharing and take them off the Internet from maybe an ftp:? Or do I need to have a server/server software for that? I really don't feel like coming back just for files, but I guess I'm gonna have to if it's my only option.

Once again, thanks for all the help in making my switch as smooth and seamless as possible.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Padilla79 View Post

I know I've been pestering you guys with all sorts of questions about switching from Windows to Mac, but I've figured a lot of things out. I even found out that Windows has a built-in file converter, so I made all my WMAs to MP3s. Sweet deal.

However, one last question: Is there any way I can retrieve my files on my home computer (the PC that I'm on now) from my Macbook (which I shall be getting next week)? Can I put the files up for sharing and take them off the Internet from maybe an ftp:? Or do I need to have a server/server software for that? I really don't feel like coming back just for files, but I guess I'm gonna have to if it's my only option.

Once again, thanks for all the help in making my switch as smooth and seamless as possible.

One option is that you buy external HD-case for your old HD. Mac reads windows discs fine, you just can't write to NTFS discs.

Or you can connect the machines via LAN network and use windows built in file sharing. Mac is very sophisticated network citizen, and talks with everyone just fine.

BTW iTunes can also convert your music to MP3's if you so choose.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    l33r0yl33r0y Posts: 94member
    Quote:

I even found out that Windows has a built-in file converter, so I made all my WMAs to MP3s. Sweet deal.

That'll teach you for choosing a propriatory format over an industry standard!

If possible, avoid re-encoding from a lossy format to another lossy format as it will introduce more compression artifacts (noise)

Good luck with the switch!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I converted them and they sound just fine. I'm not a huge audiophile, but I didn't notice a huge drop in quality, if any at all. In fact, my file sizes somehow got bigger (don't ask me how).

I'm probably just gonna have to come back home (I live in Orlando for college) once I get the computer and just transfer over the network.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

The new Leopard Finder will easily share files with PC's too. If you are thinking about switching I'd personally recommend waiting until October.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Is there any way I can retrieve my files on my home computer (the PC that I'm on now) from my Macbook (which I shall be getting next week)?

Yes.

http://www.apple.com/getamac/movetomac/