Help me choose; 20" or 24" New Aluminum iMac?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I went straight from a 19" CRT + smallish laptop LCD's to a 24" LCD. I used to think you can't have enough screen, but I have to say this feels enough for desktop. I wouldn't pay a lot to exchange this for a 30".

20":s are nice and big, and I wouldn't rush anyone currently with a 20" to upgrade to a larger one.

Looking at the specs and prices, either go with the 2.0GHz 20" or the 2.4GHz 24". The other two are bad value compared to these, no matter what use you have in mind for the computer.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

There is a $300 difference between the 20 inch and the 24 inch 2.4GHz Macs ? similarly equipped.

Sad words:

?I could have had a V-8.? (Do you get US commercials in Ireland?)

?I could have been a contender.? (Did you see the movie ?On the Waterfront??)

Later on, don?t say to yourself, ? Could a, would a, should a.?

That's a nice pep talk but the meaningful question is whether it's worth $600 to have a 20% faster processor (just above the threshold of whether you are able to notice a difference), 4" more screen and the corresponding pixels going from 2.0 20" to 2.4 24".

Graphics don't matter. Both have good enough that you won't see a difference between them on the desktop. If someone wants to play games, both are poor and iMac is not the right choice.

Doesn't sound all that clear cut to me.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    Recently bought the new 24". I really love it, but it might be biased moving from a 15" laptop to a 24" desktop. I feel liberated!!!!

But the specs are almost identical if you're looking for performance for less buck with the 20".
  • Reply 24 of 43
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gdog View Post

get 24 with 4 gigs ram or go home

I am home biatch!
  • Reply 25 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iShawn View Post

Recently bought the new 24". I really love it, but it might be biased moving from a 15" laptop to a 24" desktop. I feel liberated!!!!

But the specs are almost identical if you're looking for performance for less buck with the 20".

Let's just say money isn't the issue.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Let's just say money isn't the issue.

Get the 24", it's a better display in that it's brighter and has a wider viewing angle.

NOTE: the iMac displays are 6-bit displays. The new iMacs use LG panels that offer only 6-bits per channel. Apple cleverly states "millions of colors" but they don't say 24-bit or 16.7 million colors. They use dithering to turn the actual 262,144 colors into 16.2m colors. That's how they can come up with the term "millions" but those aren't true colors. If you look at Apple's Cinema display specs, they say 16.7m colors so those are true 8-bit panels. Get the idea?
  • Reply 27 of 43
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

Get the 24", it's a better display in that it's brighter and has a wider viewing angle.

NOTE: the iMac displays are 6-bit displays. The new iMacs use LG panels that offer only 6-bits per channel. Apple cleverly states "millions of colors" but they don't say 24-bit or 16.7 million colors. They use dithering to turn the actual 262,144 colors into 16.2m colors. That's how they can come up with the term "millions" but those aren't true colors. If you look at Apple's Cinema display specs, they say 16.7m colors so those are true 8-bit panels. Get the idea?

link please, not for the "millions" statement from Apple but a link for your 6-bit display statement
  • Reply 28 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

I'm 90% set on 24" now.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    If money isn't a issue I would go for the 24 inch if you need the room. I have a 20" and it's fine for me but I would have gotten a 24" if I'd had the money. Good luck.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Top Gear? How do you know?

The internet is an amazing thing. Plus, it just might be the most genius show ever devised: one part car show, one part "The Three Stooges," and one part pyrotechnics. And they unabashedly bring the better looking women to the front of the studio audience (well, better looking is relative; we are talking about an English show). Absolutely brilliant, as they'd say.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

The internet is an amazing thing. Plus, it just might be the most genius show ever devised: one part car show, one part "The Three Stooges," and one part pyrotechnics. And they unabashedly bring the better looking women to the front of the studio audience (well, better looking is relative; we are talking about an English show). Absolutely brilliant, as they'd say.

I can catch the occasional episode of Top Gear on a local PBS affiliate hereabouts. Love it.

I still laugh when I think of the episode where they tried and tried but just couldn't kill a Toyota Hilux diesel pick-up truck. Oh, hey, here it is.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imacFP View Post

If money isn't a issue I would go for the 24 inch if you need the room.

Seconded, get the 24" no matter what. No reason to go 20" if money doesn't matter. I still wouldn't take the 2.8GHz processor because it's not going to make a noticeable difference going up from 2.4.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

Seconded, get the 24" no matter what. No reason to go 20" if money doesn't matter. I still wouldn't take the 2.8GHz processor because it's not going to make a noticeable difference going up from 2.4.

I think I wondered about this before, a few years ago, but I wonder what the upper limit on "big enough" is?

20" used to be fairly huge, now it seems kinda puny and 24" seems like the sweet spot.

As prices continue to drop, I wonder if, in a year or two, we aren't advising people to skip the somewhat cramped 24" and go straight to the 30".

I'm thinking 30" is pretty much it-- after all, our field of view isn't getting any bigger and no one wants to have to scan a wall of monitor in front of them to find a particular element.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I think I wondered about this before, a few years ago, but I wonder what the upper limit on "big enough" is?

20" used to be fairly huge, now it seems kinda puny and 24" seems like the sweet spot.

As prices continue to drop, I wonder if, in a year or two, we aren't advising people to skip the somewhat cramped 24" and go straight to the 30".

I'm thinking the limit with the current desktop might be between the 24" and the 30". I have only used a 30" at the store, but I found myself actually turning my head to see things happening on another side of the display.

Another thing about the larger displays, which I also noticed with the 30" even in a short time, was that it bothers me when graphics are drawn in a straight pane and that pane is so wide everything on the edges appears to you with significant perspective distortion unless you move your head.

A fun idea would be using the iSight to monitor where the user's head is (easy) and distorting a huge panel's picture so that all windows face you. A 3D desktop projected on a 2D screen in order to keep the appearance of a 2D desktop. I think that could tremendously increase the usable display size.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:

I'm thinking the limit with the current desktop might be between the 24" and the 30". I have only used a 30" at the store, but I found myself actually turning my head to see things happening on another side of the display.

Another thing about the larger displays, which I also noticed with the 30" even in a short time, was that it bothers me when graphics are drawn in a straight pane and that pane is so wide everything on the edges appears to you with significant perspective distortion unless you move your head.

Two 22" or 24" displays have more real estate than a 30" (except in height) but it's seems easier (to me) to move my head from side to side using two displays than up and down with a taller display. AND two 22's or 24's are cheaper.

It's bugging me that I won't be able to use both of my 2 x 22" displays if I get a new Mac. The Mini and the iMac have only one DVI out. I don't want a Mac Pro.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    Quote:

A fun idea would be using the iSight to monitor where the user's head is (easy) and distorting a huge panel's picture so that all windows face you. A 3D desktop projected on a 2D screen in order to keep the appearance of a 2D desktop. I think that could tremendously increase the usable display size.

Oooh, I like that head tracking idea. Maybe eye tracking, as well, and you could map some functions so that they are triggered just by looking at them.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    It's just a lot more robust when you track the head and not smaller targets, and when the effect is mild and continuous, not something activated.

There could be a slight damping and delay used so the windows aren't "restless", too.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I can catch the occasional episode of Top Gear on a local PBS affiliate hereabouts. Love it.[/URL]

The thing about all the US syndications I've seen is that they cut out the "star in a reasonably priced car" segments as well as most of the anti-american comments from Clarkson. You'll also never see on US TV the "the film" of the Top Gear roadtrip from Miami to New Orleans. I tend to be somewhat supportive of my fellow countrymen, but Clarkson is such an American-in-disguise that it's easy not to take him too seriously.

Fortunately, most episodes are downloadable. Yeah, I know it's probably illegal, but until there's a better way I'll stick to it.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Fortunately, most episodes are downloadable. Yeah, I know it's probably illegal, but until there's a better way I'll stick to it.

yeah .. UK iTunes PLZ!
  • Reply 40 of 43
    phizzphizz Posts: 142member
    I was in Dublin a week or two ago and saw the 24" iMac (not the brand spanking new aluminum one mind you) in a shop at the top of the new dundrum shopping centre and another in the city centre, (both those mainly useless small shops that also sell phones, etc... why Dublin hasn't even got rumours for an Apple store (never mind a real Apple store) is beyond me) So you might be able to go preview one without tripping to London.

Regarding the sizes, if you work day in day out on your computer, definitely go for the 24". Even if you can't think why, trust me, the extra screen real estate will be used. I remember going from a 14" to a 17" and thinking, damn this is fantastic, i could never go back. Same thing happened when i then went to 19", same again when i went to dual monitor 19", and same again when i went to dual monitor 24". The dual 30" is tempting me, but I don't think they'll fit on my desk \