MB/MBP Update

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Sorry if this has already been discussed somewhere... I couldn't find any information about it. Anyone have any speculation on when we can expect the next MB/MBP update (other than the MB Mini)? I talked to a man at the Apple Store and tried to pull information from him... he seemed to hint that no updates would come before the release of Leopard - all MB/MBPs will be upgraded with them over time.

I'm going to a college with a five-year program next year, and want to get rid of my PC now (crashes too much ). However, if anyone speculates an update to the MB/MBP line before Q3 2008, I would much rather wait for it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tyler S View Post

Sorry if this has already been discussed somewhere... I couldn't find any information about it. Anyone have any speculation on when we can expect the next MB/MBP update (other than the MB Mini)? I talked to a man at the Apple Store and tried to pull information from him... he seemed to hint that no updates would come before the release of Leopard - all MB/MBPs will be upgraded with them over time.

I'm going to a college with a five-year program next year, and want to get rid of my PC now (crashes too much ). However, if anyone speculates an update to the MB/MBP line before Q3 2008, I would much rather wait for it.

Before Q3 2008!!??!?!?!??!?!?!! I expect MB in October with leopard and MBP around MWSF. Another update to the regular MB before Q3 and maybe a MBP around then too.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Sorry - I wasn't clear... I was talking about updates in terms of hardware.

The Apple store guy said Leopard is coming out in October, and the laptops will have everything new loaded pretty quickly. I'm just not sure if Apple is going to get around to hardware updates with all the iPhone/MB Mini/etc. nonsense going on.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    easyceasyc Posts: 69member
    We probably wont see a Macbook or MBP update for a tad bit, earliest Q4 2007. There just isnt any real "new" hardware to put in the little buggers. I mean the MB could use a better graphics card (which means it will get the better onboard intel card) but honestly I dont see anything hardware wise that needs to be in. Faster this faster that is always good but I see new hardware updates coming when better perfomance hardware is less pricey.

Smaller HDs maybe even flash hard drives, newer optical drives like Blue ray or HD DVD drives and the such. If your looking for a processor bump or graphics bump theres no big deal if they are updated because they arent going to be cosmically better than the current ones. And the cooler hardware options are a ways away, im thinking q1, q2 2008. And thats not saying commenting on the fact that apple may start a new line of notebooks with flash drives.

And as for people thinking Apple needs to release newer machines for Leopared, HELLO! this is apple we are talking about. Leopard is going to be fully operational for many macs, so no need to worry if you buy a computer thats currently on the market.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

Before Q3 2008!!??!?!?!??!?!?!! I expect MB in October with leopard and MBP around MWSF. Another update to the regular MB before Q3 and maybe a MBP around then too.

I agree with MB update in Oct. when Leopard hits... They may do the entire notebook line at one time. Maybe if I hope REALLY hard..........
  • Reply 5 of 10
    opnsourceopnsource Posts: 216member
    I just want to know if waiting until after MacWorld San Fran to buy a MacBook or MacBook Pro... I am currently running an iBook G4, and while it is a good machine, it needs to be replaced. I am just wondering if waiting till January will yield any REAL rewards versus buying a new machine in the next two to three months... Thoughts?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    I dont think holding out until Jan is worth yout time. Unless you are completely content with your iBook then all you have to be is patient. Heck the Santa Rosa hardware just became available not too long ago. We are a needy society always wanting more,more,and more. But enough with my politically correct rant I want to see some new hardware too!!
  • Reply 7 of 10
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Expect Apple to ship new laptops when Intel ship Penryn.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Updates? lol....

Pro: no way in hell before Jan.

MB: no way in hell before Jan.

MB-Mini: no way in hell ever.

They will update the pro first, and thats not happening anytime soon. 2.2ghz, blazing graphics, LED.

The MB isnt far behind w/ 2.16ghz. And btw, CS3 runs like a DREAM on the mb. Until that changes, expect things to chill.

Oh yeah. If you want a MB-Mini, buy a lenovo and paint it white.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    bacillusbacillus Posts: 313member
    A bump to SR for the MP I would think is coming soon, perhaps an LED screen?

Major redesign will likely come after the MBP, since it was introduced later.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    It's hard to tell what's going to happen. I have heard that Apple's going to update the MacBook Pro line again soon and give the 17-inch MBP an LED-backlit display. But that seems uncharacteristic of Apple, and I haven't seen any LCD vendors showing off LED-backlights for 17" displays.

I know one thing, I wrote a P.O. for three stock 2.2GHz MacBook Pros towards the early part of July through my work (a school) and they have all been delayed. One is scheduled to ship on Tuesday the 14th, but we'll see. If they delay it again, I am going to call up and see what the hell is going on. The last time I saw these types of delays with Apple hardware was last summer. Last July, I ordered 3 iMacs and 2 Xserves. Both were delayed, delayed, delayed. And then after about six weeks, Apple announced new Xserves (at last year's WWDC) and new iMacs after Labor Day. But it could also be demand. Although I read forums where individuals are ordering theirs well after I ordered for the school and getting them, similar to what was happening last year with the iMac, the rumors of the 23-inch version, and people ordering them and getting them. So we'll see.