video capture device that captures regardless of signal quality

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have some tapes that I took of my cousin's wedding, and I have been trying to import them. My camera was damaged, and so were the tapes, but they can still be played, but some parts don't. My current capture device likes to stop when it thinks the signal has ended, so it stops at these points, and doesn't restart for 3 seconds, so I lose about 5 seconds for every glitch. Is there a capture device (preferably firewire) that will continue to capture regardless of signal quality?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    If you just hit play in the camcorder with the tape in while it's attached to firewire, apps like imovie or Final Cut should record a continuous stream.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    You might try using a pass through camera. Both my Canons have this feature. You use the analog out from one camera to the analog in of the pass through camera to the firewire out and into your computer. That may enable an uninterrupted stream.

m
  • Reply 3 of 3
    I guess when I get a new camera, I will look for one that allows me to do that. I was trying to avoid buying one until I had to, but I guess now is as good of a time as any. Thank you.