Windows only message on TV networks sites

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hqppy August, people!

Webpage problem for you: At TNT's and TBS's webpages which run episode videos, I get the following message: This clip requires Windows to play

No luck when I changed the user agent in Safari to MSIE 6, either.

Is there any workaround for this? I can buy these episodes on iTunes, but... \

Thanks,

Steve B.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    cyko95cyko95 Posts: 391member
    Just out of curiosity, have you tried installing Firefox to see if that will work?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Does having Flip4Mac make any difference?

Give us the links to those pages and we should all send feedback. This sort of thing is unacceptable nowadays.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Almost certainly they're using WMV w/ the latest DRM, which Flip4Mac doesn't support.

But yes, unacceptable.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cyko95 View Post

Just out of curiosity, have you tried installing Firefox to see if that will work?

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, cyko. Same thing with Firefox. Netscape was a no-go, too(tho the video window was blank) and IE 5.2.2 showed a basically black page with a link to a flash download center. Went there and it said something about incompatibility with FP 8, but I recently installed Flash Player 9.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Does having Flip4Mac make any difference?

Give us the links to those pages and we should all send feedback. This sort of thing is unacceptable nowadays.

Everyone, I must say I'm pumped to see this solidaritic(is that a word?) response from you guys.

Lundy, I have F4M(latest version, I think).

TNT page: http://www.tnt.tv/dramavision.jsp?cid=32089

TBS page: http://www.tbs.com/video/0,,114542|340865,00

Good luck!

Steve
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macmaniac View Post

Everyone, I must say I'm pumped to see this solidaritic(is that a word?) response from you guys.

TNT page: http://www.tnt.tv/dramavision.jsp?cid=32089

Good luck!

Steve

Here's the forum - with a few thousand AI fans bombarding their "Video" forum, this thread should get someone's attention.

There were already 2 posts cussing them out before I posted.

Just put a bogus email address for registration and POST AWAY! Let's see how big we can make this thread.

Here is the thread: http://forums.tnt.tv/jive/tnt/thread...D=23162&#23162
  • Reply 7 of 11
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Thanks for the heads up, I've added my two cents. I suggested they make sure their cable offerings only work with certain brands of TV.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    It's WMV/WMA with DRM.

Check out some of the other threads in "Video" to see how the Windows users are having to screw around with all kinds of system files to get the ()@*(#& thing to work... LMAO
  • Reply 9 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

I think the word you wanted is solidary.

I don't see the issue with TV companies using DRM to be honest. There are always torrents for the rest of us, which are unencrypted and they usually do us the favor of knocking out the adverts too.

As long as TV companies broadcast to TVs unrestricted, there will always be a way to get the shows without requiring Windows. The TV companies will get the message sooner or later.

The WMV shows are probably crappy quality anyway if they are streaming it. I used to watch The Apprentice after I missed it and the quality was almost unwatchable on the TV network site but the torrents were full DVD quality and I could skip to whichever bit I wanted very easily.

In fact, you might wish to inform them of this on that thread. Just say that you are off to get the torrent. Even better, post a link to the episodes of the show you want. That'll really make them sit up and listen.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

The WMV shows are probably crappy quality anyway if they are streaming it. I used to watch The Apprentice after I missed it and the quality was almost unwatchable on the TV network site

I've had no trouble watching the ABC episode player, incl. good picture.

Lundy, I thought you meant send feedback to Apple, but I'll do the same with TNT(thanks for the link).

steve b
  • Reply 11 of 11
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

I've had no trouble watching the ABC episode player, incl. good picture.

Lundy, I thought you meant send feedback to Apple, but I'll do the same with TNT(thanks for the link).

steve b

Yeah, I don't know quite what ABC is doing, but they sure can put up a good picture.