Briefly: Mac OS X 10.4.11, iWeb, Woz, giant Apple logo

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

Once out of womb, alway out. You can't go back. you gotta keep moving forward.

I think you've got the comparison totally wrong. Technology moves forward but aesthetics often repeats, even at the high end / elite circles. If done well, a similar material would work better. The age of the technology doesn't really matter, glass has been made for a couple millennia but for some odd reason, Apple's switching to it. Newness doesn't necessarily mean better, I wish the electronics industry would move away from its blue LED indicator fetish.

Anyway, I really don't think that the private lives of these people is our business, and the gossip really doesn't fit the tone of this site.
  • Reply 42 of 57
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Anyway, I really don't think that the private lives of these people is our business, and the gossip really doesn't fit the tone of this site.

Gossip drives the site, but the tone of this gossip doesn't fit the site, I'll agree.
  • Reply 43 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lafe View Post

Gossip drives the site, but the tone of this gossip doesn't fit the site, I'll agree.

One key part of what gossip is about other people. Technology rumor mongering is not gossip. Generally, I don't think a business qualifies either.
  • Reply 44 of 57
    citycity Posts: 522member
    private
  • Reply 45 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

I think they should take a picture of the old building, file the picture, tear it down the building and build it to the highest standards. "Aesthetics" are not measurable, not universal, unreal, personal to the mind of the beholder and tend to hold the rest of us back. Sure, when I see something I like leveled, I miss it. I find that i am only one one the few that few that way amoung people that are runnung around trying to protect the chaming.

Completely tearing something down because you don't like the looks (as in "old") is the most incredibly wasteful thing I can think of doing. Are you a building contractor? Related to one? That type of person really likes this kind of attitude. An old building isn't necessarily unsafe either.

What is a chaming?
  • Reply 46 of 57
    enseeensee Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phizz View Post

so when exactly is the glasgow store opening?

A week today. They left the announcement a little late.

Any idea if this is a flagship store? I notice they're doing 'Live from London'-esque music every Tuesday; no prizes for guessing what it's called. And it's not just you who won't be getting prizes - look at the bands playing this month: grim.

Neil
  • Reply 47 of 57
    citycity Posts: 522member
    private
  • Reply 48 of 57
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

The man is brilliant, but like many geniuses is unable to relate to human beings.

Based on that ludicrous, slanderous and defiling statement, it is obvious that you will never have that problem.
  • Reply 49 of 57
    socratessocrates Posts: 261member
    ... what was the last "brilliant" or "genius" thing that Woz did? Can you name anything noteworthy he's achieved in the last 20 years for example?

Based on comments like this: http://www.macobserver.com/article/2003/09/11.11.shtml (macs only don't get viruses because nobody uses them)

... or this: http://www.forbes.com/2006/02/24/woz...acescan05.html (apple was stupid to switch to intel, and should ditch the ipod business)

... or even this: http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index...S&NewsID=18595 (AI is impossible and we'll never see robots that can make coffee)

... I get the impression that if we got chatting at a party I'd pretty quickly ditch him to go and find someone with an opinion that mattered.

I don't think he's a "Mac" person at all - he lacks the vision, enthusiasm and insight that Jobs brings to the table, and while Woz probably is (or was) a good engineer, I expect that any hardware nerd that hooked up with jobs in the late 70s could have achieved the same success. It's rather telling that he's never been invited back to work at Apple isn't it?

Someone like Jonathan Ive has made (and continues to make) a far more significant contribution to Apple's success than Woz ever did, and unlike Woz he doesn't give interviews where he sprouts ill-informed, crudely-reasoned, pessimistic crap about Apple or technology in general.

So regardless of whether it would be interesting that a celebrity was dating someone, I don't really think that Woz is worthy of the celebrity status he is afforded in these forums. He's just a guy that used to work at Apple, and now doesn't.

( dons flame-retardant pants... )
  • Reply 50 of 57
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Socrates View Post

... what was the last "brilliant" or "genius" thing that Woz did? Can you name anything noteworthy he's achieved in the last 20 years for example?

Based on comments like this: http://www.macobserver.com/article/2003/09/11.11.shtml (macs only don't get viruses because nobody uses them)

... or this: http://www.forbes.com/2006/02/24/woz...acescan05.html (apple was stupid to switch to intel, and should ditch the ipod business)

... or even this: http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index...S&NewsID=18595 (AI is impossible and we'll never see robots that can make coffee)

... I get the impression that if we got chatting at a party I'd pretty quickly ditch him to go and find someone with an opinion that mattered.

I don't think he's a "Mac" person at all - he lacks the vision, enthusiasm and insight that Jobs brings to the table, and while Woz probably is (or was) a good engineer, I expect that any hardware nerd that hooked up with jobs in the late 70s could have achieved the same success. It's rather telling that he's never been invited back to work at Apple isn't it?

Someone like Jonathan Ive has made (and continues to make) a far more significant contribution to Apple's success than Woz ever did, and unlike Woz he doesn't give interviews where he sprouts ill-informed, crudely-reasoned, pessimistic crap about Apple or technology in general.

So regardless of whether it would be interesting that a celebrity was dating someone, I don't really think that Woz is worthy of the celebrity status he is afforded in these forums. He's just a guy that used to work at Apple, and now doesn't.

( dons flame-retardant pants... )

First of all, Woz is still an Apple employee. He "still receives a paycheck because [he] want[s] to be an employees forever." (Next to last question) He first left Apple because of a bad airplane crash which caused some temporary amnesia in 1981.

It would be much more accurate to say that Jobs "hooked up" with Woz than the other way around. The ideas for the technology were all Woz's. What Steve brought to the picture was the business acumen and people skills, as well as the vision to see that the stuff Woz was doing could have far-reaching circumstances. It certainly was not the case that Jobs thought up the Apple II, or anything else, and then had Woz build it for him.

Woz is often misquoted in the press or has his statements twisted in order to fuel the popular myth that him and Jobs are "enemies" and had some kind of falling out. It is really not the case; this was shown once again when Woz was offered an early iPhone by Steve just recently.

Comparing Woz to Jonny Ives is just dumb. Ives is an artist. He designs the physical "outsides" of devices. He has no influence on technological direction or future product vision. He may be very good at what he does, but it is in a completely different realm that Woz ever was.

Finally:

In 1987, twenty years ago, he brought the first Universal Remote Control to market.

He's been involved in tons of technology related charities and volunteer work.

He's founded wheels Of zeus, a GPS company.

He currently runs Jazz Technologies

The guy invented Breakout for Pete's sake. You still dare to try and diss Woz?
  • Reply 51 of 57
    socratessocrates Posts: 261member
    Okay,

having reviewed the evidence, I retract this statement:

"I expect that any hardware nerd that hooked up with jobs in the late 70s could have achieved the same success"

Most of the rest stands. I mean, are you seriously telling me that you would worship the inventor of the universal remote if they hadn't been involved in Apple's inception? That a maker of GPS and RFID systems is somehow worthy of celebrity status?

Breakout was a good game, but Tetris was better and yet you don't see any news stories about who Alexey Pajitnov is dating, do you?

And the fact the Woz draws a salary at Apple but doesn't actually work on any technology for them just confirms that any contribution he made is purely historical - he clearly has nothing further to contribute. And if you expect charity work to impress me, you'll be saying we should big up Bill Gates next...
  • Reply 52 of 57
    fairlyfairly Posts: 102member
    If I have to hear one more time about Woz and his new girlfriend I am going to vomit all over you.
  • Reply 53 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Based on that ludicrous, slanderous and defiling statement, it is obvious that you will never have that problem.

Nor will you, since "slander" is an oral statement, not a written one.
  • Reply 54 of 57
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by britwithgoodteeth View Post

Nor will you, since "slander" is an oral statement, not a written one.

You are absolutely correct. However, I look upon blogs as 'oral statements' considering that one would never be able to sue for such as written and thus libelous.
  • Reply 55 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eduardo View Post

Make that people from the United States of America; we don't want to offend the Canadians.

It always bugs me when people talk about americans from mexico illegally immigrating to the US and they say they aren't really americans and I'm like, they always were.
  • Reply 56 of 57
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Delfoniq View Post

''The equivalent of Steve Wozniak dating Kathy Griffin, would be Steve Jobs dating. . . . . ."

Jerry Seinfeld
  • Reply 57 of 57
    I went to the Friends & Family event last night at the now Glasgow Store, so I got some photos then. Store should be opening about 10 minutes ago, but since they're expecting queues of >3000, these photos should give those too far away to go a good sense of this stores "awesomeness". The staircase is amazing!!

Woulda posted them last night but I didn't get back till gone midnight, very tiring!

The Photos!