New Keyboard IMAC 2007

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Dear All,

I am going to buy a new IMAC 24" but still confused about the keyboard to use...

the new one with cable or the wireless one?

I don't understand if the small wireless one is unconfortable or with less functions.

Can you give me some support please?

Thanks in advance,

Regards.

Danilo

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I don't have time to say a lot now, but I'm typing on the new wired one, and when I sell this computer in October or November I'm getting the wireless one with my new iMac. The only real questions you need to ask yourself are; do you need the big number pad, and do you need the 'big' cursor keys, cause I don't, really. And even if I do occasionally, I'll make the sacrifice to save desk space, that was the deciding factor for me.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    If it's just going to sit at your computer, get the wired one; if anything for the USB ports.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

If it's just going to sit at your computer, get the wired one; if anything for the USB ports.

That's a point I debated for some time too. The new iMac should really have 4 USB ports, heck the mini does. I am selling my external HD with my computer so I can get a Firewire 800, bus-powered one though, so I'm not 'too' bad. The new iMac should have one Firewire 400, one 800 and four USB ports... 3 is unacceptable.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    It all depends on what you do with your Mac and Keyboard. Ever pay bills online and have to do some accounting work? Then you will miss the number pad so get a wired version. Just want to have a clean desk and perhaps put your keyboard on your lap from time to time, then get the wireless version.

Good point on the USB ports made above too.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I don't see that saving a keypad's worth of desktop space matters if you have anything resembling a normal desktop (ie. not a small keyboard tray).

But having the keypad in that location is very bad for ergonomics, because it interferes with the mouse placement, and most people who don't actually work with numbers overestimate how much real gain they achieve from it. It's much easier to point at the keypad while typing on it to save a second or two once a day and say "see? useful!" than to point at the keypad when after two years of computer work your neck and shoulder hurt.

So in short, I don't need my keyboard to be wireless, and I could use USB ports on the keyboard, but I'd get the wireless. If you need to ask, get the wireless.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    thanks to all of you...

I agree with irealnd and friends...but am i going to miss just numbers pad or also some other functions?

About the USB port I say at this time an USB hub conncted to the Imac should be necessary more then on the wired keyboard (mouse goes wireless) and digital camera or usb storage oen/key to the hub