Whats better... Reason 3.0 or Logic 7?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm an amateur musician. Been using Reason 2.0 since 2003 on a PowerbookG4. I am upgrading to a new iMac 24 2.4 and I would like to upgrade my production software as well.

I love Reason, but 3.0 has some major changes and will force me to learn some new things. I figure since i need to learn anyway, maybe i'll get Logic Pro instead. I have heard good things about logic pro, like but I have also heard about some negatives:

1) Logic Pro doesn't do well for samples

2) Learning curve is too steep compared to Reason, and basic tasks can bee very difficult

3) Macworld said its impossible to constrain audio to a tempo, which is not good since i spend alot of time manipulating my samples (but does Apple Loops fix this?)

Questions:
  • Is Logic due for a revision soon?

• Does anyone use the network-distributed processing feature? If so, is it user-friendly?

• Can anyone make some clear distinctions between Reason and Logic in terms of ease of use?

• Can anyone share their honest opinion of Logic 7?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bg_nyc View Post

I'm an amateur musician. Been using Reason 2.0 since 2003 on a PowerbookG4. I am upgrading to a new iMac 24 2.4 and I would like to upgrade my production software as well.

I love Reason, but 3.0 has some major changes and will force me to learn some new things. I figure since i need to learn anyway, maybe i'll get Logic Pro instead. I have heard good things about logic pro, like but I have also heard about some negatives:

1) Logic Pro doesn't do well for samples

2) Learning curve is too steep compared to Reason, and basic tasks can bee very difficult

3) Macworld said its impossible to constrain audio to a tempo, which is not good since i spend alot of time manipulating my samples (but does Apple Loops fix this?)

Questions:
    • Is Logic due for a revision soon?

• Does anyone use the network-distributed processing feature? If so, is it user-friendly?

• Can anyone make some clear distinctions between Reason and Logic in terms of ease of use?

• Can anyone share their honest opinion of Logic 7?

Thanks.

Err, well Reason is being updated soon, they said the same about Logic, but I haven't seen anything yet. Ummm, Logic and Reason are completely different applications. Logic is a DAW program that can Host VST, AU, DXI, and can work with other apps via rewire. Reason is a slave program, meaning it can not host any applications, it must run through something else. Reason (as you know) can not host VST, or any other plugin types. Logic can edit audio, and has a lot of tools you can use, Reason you can't besides little .rex loops and stuff, not really anything to get excited about. Personally I don't like Logic, I use Cubase 4, Reason, and Live 6, and when I can, I use my roomates Pro Tools 002 setup. I use Live most of the time with Reason, then take all my tracks and record them in Cubase, then finish them off. For the amount of money your going to spend on Logic, you might want to look into a Pro Tools Mbox setup. They are very affordable, and you will be running industry standard software. It's just like anyone other DAW application out there. If I didn't jump and buy Cubase 4, i would be using it right now, but I need to sell my software before I can buy anything else. Check out Live, it is also a great application, it's not that expensive, and you can host VST/AU/DXI/a few more formats. Definitely worth looking at both of those.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    bg_nycbg_nyc Posts: 189member
    Thanks Disasta. I have enjoyed reason because of its simplicity. Its got great midi support and the synths are awsome. Easy to do sequencing too. All in all, I woudl say it is alot better than just rex loops. Thats popular, but i actually never even use the rex loops. They have all been heard before, and lead to some very unoriginal music. I've never found a reason to host VSTi, RTAS, AU and DXi because Reason provides such an awsome library of instruments and drum kits. I guess the loss of that library is one negative in switching to another program. But reason does nto have a great custom loop editor, which i know Logic has (apple loops).

I have never actually seen ProTools in use. I will check out that site for info. I have seen Live and it has some features that I never had a use for in the past. I will check that out more in detail also.

You use alot of apps. Most folks I know use Reason and can produce an entire track in that one application. But then again this is just the instrumental track. I dont lay down additional voice tracks. I just enjoy creating a complete digital instrumental track (mostly House, Lounge and some Hip Hop). It appears that you are producing an entire song, complete with instrumental, voice, post production mixing, etc. Correct?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bg_nyc View Post

Thanks Disasta. I have enjoyed reason because of its simplicity. Its got great midi support and the synths are awsome. Easy to do sequencing too. All in all, I woudl say it is alot better than just rex loops. Thats popular, but i actually never even use the rex loops. They have all been heard before, and lead to some very unoriginal music. I've never found a reason to host VSTi, RTAS, AU and DXi because Reason provides such an awsome library of instruments and drum kits. I guess the loss of that library is one negative in switching to another program. But reason does nto have a great custom loop editor, which i know Logic has (apple loops).

I have never actually seen ProTools in use. I will check out that site for info. I have seen Live and it has some features that I never had a use for in the past. I will check that out more in detail also.

You use alot of apps. Most folks I know use Reason and can produce an entire track in that one application. But then again this is just the instrumental track. I dont lay down additional voice tracks. I just enjoy creating a complete digital instrumental track (mostly House, Lounge and some Hip Hop). It appears that you are producing an entire song, complete with instrumental, voice, post production mixing, etc. Correct?

Ok, I use programs for certain things. Reason I use the Redrum mostly just because all the drum VSTs suck, yes even battery sux, it's a system hog. Other then the Redrum, I sometimes use the NN-XT if I don't feel like using Kontakt. The Malstrum is something I have played with but I have found a lot of VSTs to be a lot better, and more capable then the Malstrum. Everything else Reason has, I have in VST but a lot better, like the Waves plugins, Wave Arts plugins, and a few other randoms I have found over the years. I use Live for a lot of reasons. One being the way it works with tempo and the samples capabilities are far beyond any other DAW program out there, and it's looped based. I enjoy making loops and then being able to pull them from my HDD and have them automatically fit with the track I am working on at the time (something a lot of programs can't do). You can also do real time time stretching, which again a lot of programs have a problem with. So I use Live for loops, samples, some older VSTs and AU support because Cubase doesn't support them at all anymore. After I have all the loops and regions all put together and tracked out, I then open Cubase. I rewire Live and Reason into Cubase and record the entire track (30 audio tracks or more). I then work with the audio tracks and put all the compressors, limiters, efx, and everything else on them. If I need to add vocals, Cubase can handle it. If I wanted to chop up the vocals, resample into Live, do what I have to do, and rerecord the track into Cubase. Quick mixing session in Cubase, have my roomate do a little mastering (he's good, and it's good to have fresh ears), and the track is done.

I mainly produce Hardstyle, which is really hard trance/hardcore basically. I'll get into some modes where I'll pump out some electro or some other stuff, but for the most part, Hardstyle is my place.