Which to get: MacBook or Mini?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm currently using a G4 iBook and would like to upgrade to an Intel machine. I'm a very casual Mac user and I still base my personal AVI to DVD conversions on my AMD mid tower as the software for PC seems easier and keeping the computer on for days with Torrent and conversions suits a PC mid tower better, I think.

But I'd like to get more into Macs and was wondering between the MacBook and the Mini. I was thinking of the 2ghz processor with 2gigs of ram. I don't think portability of a laptop would be really useful to me but the price of both would not be too far off, considering the laptop has a screen and a keyboard, both items needed to run the Mini.

I also read here that it would be wise to wait till the end of September to do any shopping, so I might wait.

I'd appreciate any quick tips. Thank you.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    cyko95cyko95 Posts: 391member
    I have a Mini AND a Macbook and I would recommend the macbook personally. My mini is great, but it's not like I can take it with me, and let me tell you my Macbook goes everywhere with me. It's nice to have a desktop to go to so your not constantly unpacking your laptop, worrying about the charge, etc. But I just love my Macbook.

Also, I could be wrong about waiting until September, but they just bumped up the Macbook's a couple months ago, so I doubt any changes will be made to it that soon.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    I just got the 2.16 gHz macbook as my first mac and I'm really pleased. As clever of an idea as the mac mini is, I think the macbook is just too attractive of a package to ignore.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Yup, you can start out with the MacBook White 2.16ghz Core2Duo 1gb RAM with DVD burner. Eventually you may leave it on all-night as a server and downloading stuff, converting stuff, etc. Just be sure if you are using it in "desktop" mode you put the MacBook on some sort of cooling tray if you are in any room environment hotter than about 20degC/70degF
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Suggestion, connect your existing screen to the MacBook also when in "desktop" mode. Honestly, I suspect after a while you may do away with your AMD rig completely.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Suggestion, connect your existing screen to the MacBook also when in "desktop" mode. Honestly, I suspect after a while you may do away with your AMD rig completely.

Not without an external drive or a NAS...but otherwise yeah.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Yup, you can start out with the MacBook White 2.16ghz Core2Duo 1gb RAM with DVD burner. Eventually you may leave it on all-night as a server and downloading stuff, converting stuff, etc. Just be sure if you are using it in "desktop" mode you put the MacBook on some sort of cooling tray if you are in any room environment hotter than about 20degC/70degF

My non-AC Los Angeles apartment hits 85*F almost every day in the summer, are you talking about just any notebook cooling pad or is there an MacBook specific one? I just saw some generic cooling pad with a couple of build in USB fans, I like the fan idea but don't like it taking away my USB ports.

Thank you ALL for the info, I'm sure I'll have a MacBook very soon.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polvadis View Post

My non-AC Los Angeles apartment hits 85*F almost every day in the summer, are you talking about just any notebook cooling pad or is there an MacBook specific one? I just saw some generic cooling pad with a couple of build in USB fans, I like the fan idea but don't like it taking away my USB ports.

Thank you ALL for the info, I'm sure I'll have a MacBook very soon.

Yeah, you can use any cooling pad you like, make sure it has fans. There *are* some cool-looking, not-too-noisy cooling pads, find a nice one. For LA and summertime, since you don't have AC, this is highly recommended IMHO for overnight or 24/7 MacBook use.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Well, eBay has just informed me that my G4 iBook has sold.

I sure hope I can hang on to the money for the Leopard MacBook.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Well, last night I thought I had sold my iBook but this morning they Buyer sent me a fake PayPal Payment Confirmation where he added $300 dollars extra to ship it out TODAY to a Nigerian address. Also, about a minute later I got a PayPal looking e-mail that said the payment for my iBook won't clear until I send them a proof of shipping confirmation.

I thought since eBay charges a gazillion dollars to post, then if you sell, gets commission, they had taken care of this crap.

I must admit that those Nigerian e-mails look very authentic, I can see how they could get 1 out of what (??) people to send in their stuff. But c'mon, I thought we were passed all this.