When will Apple update its product line with features like this?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
HP Pavilion TX1000z.

HP TouchSmart IQ770 PC

Anyway, I bring this issue up because I recently visit a computer shop with my cuz and I was very impressed with the TX1000z. Its cheap and it has a touch screen and the laptop can become a tablet PC. How good is that? So is there any rumours of future MacBook or iMac to get this kind of techno stuffs. Seriously I really like that laptop, if only I can install MacOS X on it, hate Vista, laggy and buggy.

I hope Apple will make this kind of feature on the MacBook or iMac instead of MacBookPRO or PowerMac cause this features are usually use by students (same price as the current iMac and MacBook). The only hint that I get is Apple is developing something with motion sensoring because they patented a hand gestures dictionary (I read it on AppleInsider). Maybe they are developing some sort of motion sensor thingy for future Mac's, maybe they are going to do like Nintendo Wii+Minority Report , Motion sensoring - Go through windows like Minority Report but with the Monitor?

And when is the MacBookPRO getting the MacBook keyboard?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    flinch13flinch13 Posts: 228member
    Apple might be working on a tablet, and then again they might not. The accepted story of development basically goes like this:

1) Apple tries to make a tablet.

2) Steve Jobs doesn't like it very much, but thinks it has potential for a smaller device.

3) Apple makes iPhone.

My guess is that multitouch will eventually be worked into many apple products; it seems logical enough, and people who still want to use keyboards and mice will have that option too. The problem with multitouch is the lack of tactile feedback. And I don't think Apple is going to do a device with a stylus (ie tablet notebook) anytime soon... they'll find a more elegant solution.

As far as a convertible tablet/notebook combination, this won't happen until Apple puts out a brand new product. All of Apple's mobile offerings in the way of notebooks are far too large to be considered for use in this type of application. The fabled sub-notebook might be the key to this.

I'm certain that Apple will put out a small, thin, and light multitouched-based tablet in the future, and I will want one. The question is when; it will probably be a long time from now when it's technologically and financially viable to do so. IMHO, it will have to be cheap, almost completely wireless, and have as few moving parts as possible (i.e. no hard drive, disk drive, anything like that). The most important issue here is probably the price of flash memory... it will need to be very low in order to allow this type of device to be produced (i.e. below 50 cents per GB).
  • Reply 2 of 10
    wheelhotwheelhot Posts: 465member
    Im sure if Apple were to make those kind of notebook's, more students are going to buy it, especially if Apple even bundled in softwares to make Windows compatible (means the function works on Windows too). I've been thinking of submitting my idea about motion sensing touch screen to Apple, but I dont know how, its something like Minority Report style but I believe its do-able since there are some hardware's that are showing that capability.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I'm hoping they do it soon. I had been thinking Apple could have pulled this type of computer off, and done extremely well with it way back when the Vadem Clio came out. If anyone remembers that.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    "Internally, Apple is much further along, according to sources, who say the company will again tap an embedded version of the Mac OS to form the foundation of yet another business segment and digital device family in 2008."

- AppleInsider
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Cmon Apple, make us feel owning better PC's then Windows Equipped PC . I remember last time, people own MacBook Pro cause its the lightest notebook out there. Now the weight is considered normal
  • Reply 6 of 10
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

Im sure if Apple were to make those kind of notebook's, more students are going to buy it, especially if Apple even bundled in softwares to make Windows compatible (means the function works on Windows too). I've been thinking of submitting my idea about motion sensing touch screen to Apple, but I dont know how, its something like Minority Report style but I believe its do-able since there are some hardware's that are showing that capability.

Better get the right person.

I did this several years back, and got a registered letter telling me

"We know what we are doing, and surely don't need your help / input" If you send another letter with your suggestions, we will deem it necessary to take further action"

Or something close to that. I still have the letter. I'll have to dig it up, and see what I said / did that cause such a response?

Skip
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Better get the right person.

I did this several years back, and got a registered letter telling me

"We know what we are doing, and surely don't need your help / input" If you send another letter with your suggestions, we will deem it necessary to take further action"

Or something close to that. I still have the letter. I'll have to dig it up, and see what I said / did that cause such a response?

Skip

Wut, apple did that? Thats rather unfriendly of them. In the MountainBiking world, some riders actually stop riding their bikes because of poor customer service
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Apple doesn't accept suggestion letters from customers because if they're already working on something along those lines, or do down the road, they don't want people suing them for a cut of whatever product was written about.

It's simple legalities. And everyone sues Apple, so it's hard to blame them.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tinkerer View Post

Apple doesn't accept suggestion letters from customers because if they're already working on something along those lines, or do down the road, they don't want people suing them for a cut of whatever product was written about.

It's simple legalities. And everyone sues Apple, so it's hard to blame them.

Yeah, since you made it that way, it makes sense, reading aInsider news makes me amazed silly stuffs that people are sueing
  • Reply 10 of 10
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

Well that already pretty much exists but if you want to invent something it'd make more sense to apply for a patent then send the idea to your fav company.