Value of an AlBook with a dead HDD?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Anyone know the value of a 15" aluminum powerbook with a dead HDD? I couldn't find any comps on ebay?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smatanovic View Post

Anyone know the value of a 15" aluminum powerbook with a dead HDD? I couldn't find any comps on ebay?

I'd say it's about $100 less than one with a working hard drive; that's the replacement cost for a nicely sized 2.5" drive.

Perhaps subtract another $50 for the professional installation cost of the new drive.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:

About 1/2 the price of what you would get if you put in a new hard drive. Have you ever tried to sell a car with a blown motor? How would anyone know if the rest of the computer worked properly without a working hard drive?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

You should definitely pay for a new hard disk and installation fee. Your eBay experience and return on investment would be very worth it, particularly you can then advertise as "completely brand new hard disk just replaced".
  • Reply 4 of 6
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

About 1/2 the price of what you would get if you put in a new hard drive. Have you ever tried to sell a car with a blown motor? How would anyone know if the rest of the computer worked properly without a working hard drive?

Yeah, with the new HD you can then test out the functioning of the laptop properly so that again, your eBay process is very smooth... nobody asking for refunds, etc. etc...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Can't you put in a new drive yourself. I swapped out a 40GB drive and replaced it with an 80 in my TiBook 867. The TiBook user manual even had directions with illustrations and there were several sites on the net that had more complete directions. NewEgg.com and ZipZoomFly.con are good sources for drives and sometimes Fry's and Circuit City have sales with very attractice prices.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Powerbook-...QQcmdZViewItem

No idea what your specs are, but suffice it to say it's not worth a hell of a lot.