PNGs

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    [quote]Originally posted by clonenode:

<strong>I'm pretty sure PNG (portable Network Graphic) is an invention of Adobe's, though they may have open sourced it. You can create these with Illustrator.</strong><hr></blockquote>

PNG was created in repsonse to the whole licensing issue over GIF with Compuserve and Unisys. (it was actually the compression scheme that is used in GIF that was patented)
  • Reply 22 of 28
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    [quote]Originally posted by unremarkable:

<strong>Mozilla 1.1a is actually:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en-US; rv:1.1a) Gecko/20020610

So the page is correct. Do you see?

[ 07-29-2002: Message edited by: unremarkable ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why does Mozilla 1.1a register as Mozilla/5.0 ? I knew that you could get it to register as IE/5.5 or whatever else to get some sites to work, but why doesn't Mozilla stick to the version scheme that they publish? Or am I missing something here?
  • Reply 23 of 28
    [quote]Originally posted by pyr3:

<strong>

Why does Mozilla 1.1a register as Mozilla/5.0 ? I knew that you could get it to register as IE/5.5 or whatever else to get some sites to work, but why doesn't Mozilla stick to the version scheme that they publish? Or am I missing something here?</strong><hr></blockquote>

mozilla was the internal code name Netscape Navigator so Netscape 4.0 was a.k.a. mozilla 4.0 and the unreleased NN 5.0 formed the original basis of what we now know as Mozilla 1.0 (though most of the code got chucked and rewritten).

[ 07-29-2002: Message edited by: stupider...likeafox ]</p>
  • Reply 24 of 28
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    i can view the .png 's on these sites posted here BUT if i download it, then drop it into IE browser window, i can't view it. it asks if i want to select a plug-in or application. weird...

[ 07-29-2002: Message edited by: burningwheel ]</p>
  • Reply 25 of 28
    Did you read my post at all?
  • Reply 26 of 28
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>Go to "Save for Web." Check out the options for PNG vs JPEG.

Do the same for "Save As."</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't have PS but I tried this in QTPro and GraphicConverter and I would say they have the same numer of options, in fact if you ignore quality (which doesn't really apply to PNG by design) then PNG has more options. So what does PS let you do?

For the curious:

PNG
    • choice of 6 filters or use 'best'

• interlaced or not

• 9 depths from black & white to millions colours+

JPEG
    • quality (1-100)

• colour or black and white

• progressive or not

• optimize for streaming

[ 07-29-2002: Message edited by: stupider...likeafox ]</p>
  • Reply 28 of 28
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    In Photoshop, if you use Save As, you get once choice...Interlaced or not.

If you select Save for Web, you get that choice and a toggle for 'transparency' (and that isn't even true transparency.) If you want true transparency you should use Save As...and it's done automatically.

Quality does apply to PNG, and image quality vs size is a big issue for web designers and consumers who want to send pictures via e-mail and stuff.

I would hate to receive a 1280x960 PNG digital photo from someone. It would be 3-4x the size of an acceptably compressed JPEG.

[ 07-29-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>