Jobs says Apple won't offer refunds to early iPhone adopters

Comments

• Reply 121 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Or you could learn to use paragraphs...

why are people in the blogosphere so paragraph centric...

if we don't do something active to evidince our collective irritation we are sheep... soon to be apple's shearling coats (i.e., not just shaved, but slaughtered and worn).
  • Reply 122 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Goodwill? You people sound like your iPhones were taken from you and you have nothing to show for your $600 spent. \

How exactly do I sound like that?

I sound like I resent the obvious price-gouging, and I'm merely stating that I will no longer be spending any money at Apple that isn't completely necessary.

33% of $599 plus tax is a lot of money for such a quick "adjustment" in 10 weeks.

I love the iPhone, I'm not in love with the company making me feel gouged.

I'm also not in love with spending a lot of money on a product and getting "you got burned you fool" taunts as a result. Thanks, Apple.
  • Reply 123 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

Zanshin, Blurp., Promethias, Timeline...

try READING the posts ahead of yours before you complain more.

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/openiphoneletter/

Even more brilliant!!!!

Love this guy!
  • Reply 124 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

Well Jobs has been corrected... by Jobs.

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/openiphoneletter/

$100 apple store credit...

God help those that bought their phones at ATT outlets.
  • Reply 125 of 169
    I already have a contract with Cingular, and I can get the iPhone today as a current customer at the same price as a new customer. I cannot get a 8525 for the same price as a new customer, because only new customers/upgrading customers can get it at the subsidized price.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

Your iPhone, as purchased at an Apple Store, is useless unless activated.

Guess how you activate it? With AT&T. On a new 2-year contract (or pay-as-you-go, if not credit-worthy or not a fan of 2-year contracts).

Either way, $399 is a subsidized price. Apple are kicked back from AT&T a percentage of monthly billing (which percentage varies depending on which report you read). Lowering the price to $399 will increase the residual payments to Apple, by sheer volume of new customers, while reducing their initial profit from the sale of the phone.

From the AT&T website:

If you are a current customer, you still need to 're-up' for the 2-year term.

• Reply 126 of 169
    Apples has announced that all iphone owners will get a $100 store credit. Of course this won't apply to those who are buying the phone at the new price. Just a way to make nice with early adopters.
  • Reply 127 of 169
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shelf Life View Post

They usually upgrade the product at the same price. They do not have a history of knocking 33% off the price of an item 10 weeks after launch.

Calling Spetember 5th the holiday season is also a stretch.

I've never bought any new product in this price range that suddenly magically becomes 33% less in value after 2 months.

If you bought anything during the middle to end of September in previous years, there's a good chance it became 33% less on Black Friday (day after Thanksgiving in the US). You probably just didn't know about it.

Or purchases the week before Christmas becoming 33% on Dec 26th. Especially expensive toys. Again, you probably just didn't know about it.

And, post-Labor day is now the beginning of the holiday season. Apple announced the first video-capable iPods in October, and it turned out to have cost them sales. Since then, they've been making their iPod announcements in Sept., though their announcement is one week earlier than last year.
  • Reply 128 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

"Unneccasary" - I assume by this you mean "as long as you can control your impulses."

I didn't spend over $7,000 on Apple gear on impulse. These are business investments based on need, and I felt as if I was dealing with a company I trusted based on their track record.

This price gouging is almost cartoonish, like a comedy skit where you buy something and moments later it's free. I didn't think spending $599 on an Apple product would make me feel like Homer Simpson 2 months later.
  • Reply 129 of 169
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shelf Life View Post

Dropping the price $200 after 10 weeks wasn't decided yesterday.

They obviously took advantage of the goodwill I had toward their company by overinflating their price at launch. I'm not bitching, I am merely stating that I will never show them any goodwill again, and will no longer be making any unneccasary purchases from them ever again.

Losing out on any further business from me, and any future iTunes purchases I might have made, is also the "tough luck of technology."

So you are making major electronics purchaces based on goodwill for the company, not for the product you are buying?

Sounds rather lame. Pay for what you want--don't pay for something if it is not worth it to you. You are bound to be dissapointed if you think Apple or any other corp. is your friend.
  • Reply 130 of 169
    This is a fantastic move on Apple's part. $100 store credit will go a long way, and will drive more sales of other products. Gee Steve I might just buy one of those ear pieces for the iPhone now. So, apple gets another $30 of mine. I'm happy. I wasn't upset before anyhow. Cheers.
  • Reply 131 of 169
    If you are angry, join this facebook group:

http://bu.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5919246108
  • Reply 132 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post

God help those that bought their phones at ATT outlets.

Did you read the letter?

Quote:

Therefore, we have decided to offer every iPhone customer who purchased an iPhone from either Apple or AT&T, and who is not receiving a rebate or any other consideration, a $100 store credit towards the purchase of any product at an Apple Retail Store or the Apple Online Store. Details are still being worked out and will be posted on Apple's website next week. Stay tuned.

Everyone's covered.
  • Reply 133 of 169
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timeline View Post

Even more brilliant!!!!

Love this guy!

Yep! Suckered them in for another purchase...

Wow!

Anyway, now the support forum crew will stop threatening to quit from being overtaxed at deleting threads...
  • Reply 134 of 169
    And for those who don't think Apple didn't bend over the early adapters, Engadget is reporting that Apple will be offering $100.00 rebates.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/06/s...back/#comments

So they are like, "yeah we know we screwed you, but here something to mend fences." Nice move on Apple's part. But I bet the same people who got "burned" with the price drop on the iPhone, has already ordered their iPod Touch, right before the holiday shopping season.
  • Reply 135 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

I already have a contract with Cingular, and I can get the iPhone today as a current customer at the same price as a new customer. I cannot get a 8525 for the same price as a new customer, because only new customers/upgrading customers can get it at the subsidized price.

Wouldn't you be an 'upgrading' customer?
  • Reply 136 of 169
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I think the only way you can keep a healthy perspective on any kind of price drop is to compare the original price versus latest price.

Whether the product has been out 2 months or 2 years is really irrelevant. Why? Because if the same product gets a lower price it's still the same product, no matter how long it was out before. A product that's been out for a year is the same product whether you bought it on its introduction date or 4 days ago.

So let's level the playing field a bit. Prices at product introduction vs. now:

The 8GB iPhone was $599. Now it's $399. Difference = $200 (33%)

The 4GB nano was $199. Now it's $149. Difference = $50 (25% and now it plays videos and games!)

The 80GB iPod was $349. Now it's $249. Difference = $100 (28.7%)

The 30" ACD was $3499. Now it's $1799. Difference = $1700 (48.6%)

If I owned an iPhone I'd be a little miffed, but still realize that it was bound to happen sooner or later. If I bought an iPhone on 6/29 for $599, no matter when the price dropped, I still bought it for $599 on 6/29.

I'd be pissed if I bought a 30" ACD for $3499. If it's only sat on a desk this whole time, there's really no difference between it and what you can get brand new today. Maybe the older one's a bit dimmer.

And with prices and the value of a US dollar both going down, the price difference is even a little bit more.

It's all about supply, demand, and component costs. Apple's supply of iPhones was probably much less on June 29 than it is now. They likely charged a premium to keep demand down those opening days and the cost of components has likely also dropped since. That's business, sorry.
  • Reply 137 of 169
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

It's supply and demand, folks. Supply and demand.

Imagine the demand if these suckers were $399 on June 29.

I do think they should have introduced a 16GB version for $599 Wednesday. That might have lessened the sting a bit.

That is a great point! I agree that it would have tempered the pain some.

'Course then they might have supply problems with the 16GB Touch!
  • Reply 138 of 169
    I can't believe that they're just offering this rebate to early adopters... this is clearly discrimination! I ordered an 8 GB iPhone yesterday - you can just bet that I'll be in their faces soon about my rebate. I'll settle for $25 to $50 if I have to.
  • Reply 139 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blurpbleepbloop View Post

Oh really?! Well, how about I rent my iPhone to you for $100 a month? How about that since you think it's such a bargain.

Because at the end of the term, it's a rental and not mine. Bad analogy.

Quote:

Price drops were expected, but not just two months after a brand new product intro. This is almost unheard for a product like the iPhone.

Cite your sources. I dare you.

Quote:

For most people, $200 is a lot of money, it certainly is for me. I bought my iPhone on the first day but held it unopened for almost two weeks trying to decide if I was really going to be an early adopter.

If that's honestly and literally true, I would urge you to consider that this says more about you than it does about Apple or the iPhone.

If the price is *really* that high for you, shame on you for buying it to begin with.

Besides, who *does* that?

Quote:

I finally succumbed to the allure of the iPhone but I figured I'd have at least 5 or 6 months of use before being taunted by Apple with an upgraded version or a cheaper price.

You figured. And the value of your figuring is...?

Quote:

Had I known anything like this was possible from Apple (which is masterful at squeezing the last possible dollar from the tech that they sell) there is no way in hell I would have purchased the phone. It's fine that Apple has reduced the price of the phone in such a short time, but it's not okay to just shaft those people who just purchased the device.

Did your phone stop working? Have they discontinued support? How exactly are you shafted?

Oh, that's right... you couldn't wait for the (obviously) inevitable price drops. Oh, the violins... they play for you.

Quote:

Job's statement to the effect that this is the way the tech world works and no consideration is to be paid to initial customers is complete B.S. That's like saying that since we live in an imperfect world, Apple shouldn't be upset at the theft and vandalism they endure at their stores.

Really? You're drawing an analogy between product price cuts and theft / damage costs. Things get cheaper in the electronics business -- that's legal.

Let me help you here:

Theft and damage of property are illegal. If you *really* want to present this as a part of your argument, the you bear the burden of having to prove that Apple's price change is legally tantamount to theft.

Quote:

This situation is not analogous to buying a Mac or any other established line of electronics that Apple sells. This is a brand new market segment for Apple...their proposed treatment of their early supporters is shameful.

You're meandering here... not only is this simply opinion, but it doesn't add value to your argument, which is...

Actually, I'm not even sure you're clear on that part.

Quote:

Given the two year contract we are tied to with AT&T a simple and cheap way out of this problem would be for Apple to credit our wireless accounts with the price difference we paid for the phones (or close to it).

Are you taking a swipe @ the 2 year contract part of the iPhone purchase? You *do* realize that contracts are a standard bit of all US mobile carriers, for the majority of their phones, right?
  • Reply 140 of 169
    I can't upgrade, I'm just 5 months into my new contract. GOOO SAMSUNG BLACKJACK. lol.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

Wouldn't you be an 'upgrading' customer?