DOS emu for os x?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hey guys, just found an old old old pc game I used to play, WingCommander Privateer, its a dos 4.0 game. Is there a dos emulator out there somewhere that will support the graphics and sound stuff?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    I think Virtual PC with DOS would be the only solution.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Well there is SoftWindows (I have 3.1 for Solitaire) and something called Mac Bochs.

But Brad is right, just get Virtual PC. It's awesome.

[ 08-12-2002: Message edited by: Aquatik ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 13
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    What about FreeDOS? Doesn't that emu support graphics and sound?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i'll let you know how it goes. i'm about to do the same to try and play Master of Orion, Star Control 2, Syndicate and Privateer 2 on my powerbook. it will be nice for the plane rides
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Aquatik:

You forget that SoftWindows is not a Mac OS X native program, which is what iMud asked for.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Does anyone have any experience using Virtual PC on a G3? I need a new laptop but don't want to underbuy.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by pyr3:

<strong>What about FreeDOS? Doesn't that emu support graphics and sound?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well maybe you could compile and boot for Mac PPC but you still have an X86 exe file to run.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I haven't tried SoftMac in Classic but I'd assume it works.

But this is all irrelevant. I wanted to show that there were alternatives, but that they were not viable. VirtualPC is the best by far.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    I found a perfectly usable free DOS emulator once. Didn't use it more than to play around with (I already have VPC), but you could get it with DOS or one of many Linux flavours preinstalled.

Amorya
  • Reply 10 of 13
    whats this Linux DOS emulator called?
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Amorya, ya there? what DOS emu has Linux with it?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    ppl hello? iMud? did you abandon your post here?
  • Reply 13 of 13
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    well, thought i'd let everyone know that i played Privateer 2 in DOS mode tonight. worked like a charm on my PowerBook, other than the screen rez was a little off.

this game rules, and i'd been disappointed that i couldn't play it on my PC tower with win2k (even with virtual PC DOS for my PC)

in any case, my Mac is now playing it no problem, much to my surprise. w00t!