Microsoft highlights Office 2008 origins in new sneak peek

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    As long as you can switch the Elements Gallery OFF, what's the issue? You're back to a nice clean Mac like toolbar and 3cm more space on your screen.

I wonder what possessed them to use ORANGE though as the colour. Do their UI designers still use candy coloured G3 iMacs?

Perhaps they should look at modern Apple applications instead of 'traditional' applications. Candy colours went out years ago.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

I wonder what possessed them to use ORANGE though as the colour. Do their UI designers still use candy coloured G3 iMacs?

Perhaps they should look at modern Apple applications instead of 'traditional' applications. Candy colours went out years ago.

....ahem, what about aluminium, or whatever colour Mac's been using the past decade? Yeah, sure, that's a different story cause it's a Mac. If Mac came in brown it would be fashion colour

I'm actually really looking forward to the Office 2008, and i'm just sorry it got delayed, could've used it today.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    In our office, after two, some three month using the new layout on windows, more then half are using the older version again. Because nobody can find what they need, normally you click a menu and you see what you need, but now you have to start searching. There are a lot of things still confusing, terrible interface. Waste of money.

I didn't see yet the macos interface, but am happy to read there is a normal menubar.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    Wow, that looks horribly cluttered and down right painful.

Moreover, that picture is missing the window title bar, so it's going to be even thicker then the Windows ribbon.

That ribbon (plus the menu bar, plus the dock, plus page rulers, plus scroll bars) will leave a pathetic amount of room to type.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

MS is a snake in the grass, they are not nice, but they are a convicted monopolist in the US and in a lot of trouble in the EU...they have to seem humble, not overtly kill competition and whatnot...or they get fined or worse!

Apple seems to be transforming into a parody of its self: if Steve Jobs farts, there will be a news conferance, a cheezy demo and an obligatory ass licking from Pouge..They don't announce jack at their trade shows, where the real fans are, where the paying customers are, they invite Leo Laporte, Engadget, a hand selected AP guy and of course Steves bitchboys Pouge and Mossberg...because the last thing apple wants is comeone to stray from the prepared PR copy and boiler plate...just loike all other companies, but with Apple the GP gives (or at least gave) a crap...

and lets talk product: Vista may have been buggy for a while there, but MS has a product that is going on one year in the wild, is close to being fully vetted for use in corporations and working on the service pack...meanwhile Apple has delivered nothing but a cell phone while promising a vista killer thatapperantly now will not ship till 1 year AFTER vistas release (Oct 06 was the release to Volume License customers)...

And apple is so secretive on everything, they for a while there seemed to be ""open" but now they allow no 3rd party dev for the iPhone, and seem to undercut 3rd party mac apps at every turn: they are paranoid, NDAs for people testing the OS? what didnt they show in the public WWDC stuff? they already showed us all of the new stuff, so why the NDAs? the testers arent seeing OSX source code...

Steve, or someone inside of Apple is ruining it...quickly, the company has changed directions in the last few years

Mac will die in 2011, and OSX will be abandonware because Steve will never open it!

Congratulations! a_greer;1144785 . Your insightful comments have just earned you a nomination to this exclusive club. Thank you. And remember you got to play to win!
  • Reply 26 of 39
    I was looking forward to Office 2007/8 to replace the age old Office 2004, but now that I have iWork 08, I couldn't care less about MS Office.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Steve, or someone inside of Apple is ruining it...quickly, the company has changed directions in the last few years

Mac will die in 2011, and OSX will be abandonware because Steve will never open it!

This has to be a joke right? ROFL
  • Reply 28 of 39
    What a joke. I don't seem to have any problems finding Photoshop features yet they achieve this without having to pasted every fucking button on the screen. Idiots.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Quote:

Looks rather cluttered and confused to me...

The www.macoffice2008.com comes up as completely black to me, the flash doesn't play (Windows, Firefox).

The problem we have here is that the Flash application is huge and takes forever to load. Not good site design IMHO.

Why can't some people in marketing realise that if not done right Flash hurts.

As for Office, I just hope they have a price for non-business users this time around.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by astro View Post

or is it the microsoft strategy to throw it out there and see how shitty it is before fixing it?

This has always been Microsoft's software distribution strategy. Even with operating systems, amazingly.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

The best software gets the f--k out of the way and allows me to do my work.

A Computerworld article recently made a really insightful statement like this about Windows and Macs generally:

"You're not conscious of your TV while you're watching it. That's the way it is with a Mac. I found that much harder to achieve on Windows PCs, which are constantly drawing attention to themselves."
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trevorlsciact View Post

give it a few min. then it comes up

LMAO at how slow and confusing Mafia$oft's website is. Ummm, yeah. Reassuring for how Office will run.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    The only thing I want from Office Mac is 100% compatibility with Office for Windows. Can't they just port it over and leave as is. Why try to make it more Mac friendly - it's MS Office for 'cryin' out loud'? Just make it so we can open and save documents transparent to the operating system. That might be worth buying.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vulcan1 View Post

....ahem, what about aluminium, or whatever colour Mac's been using the past decade? Yeah, sure, that's a different story cause it's a Mac. If Mac came in brown it would be fashion colour.

The point is 'everybody' except Microsoft and Adobe generally follow what Apple is doing in interface design so that their interface doesn't stand out like a sore thumb. Microsoft just seems to be 5 years behind what Apple did with Mac application design.

All Microsoft need do is look at the iWork and iLife applications and they've the perfect model for how applications should look and behave to be Mac-like. Even last years Apple application style would be years ahead of Microsoft's. Or look at Panic, Red Sweater, Omni...

Or they could just ape the Windows interface as it's often compatibility with Windows that is the only reason people are still using Office.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Quote:

The colours are tied to the application. Word is blue, Excel is green, PowerPoint is orange. There's also a grey mode if you decide that you don't like our blue or orange.

Regards,

Nadyne.

--

Nadyne Mielke | user experience researcher

Microsoft Corporation | Macintosh Business Unit

http://blogs.msdn.com/nadyne/
  • Reply 36 of 39
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Hey a MacBU employee on AI! That's great. Maybe the new interface isn't perfect but that's a nice touch. Thanks!

As long as you can customize things, turn them off, etc. it's okay. Good to know colors can be muted as well.

My opinion: menus were invented because after several buttons, there are just too many buttons. Too many palettes are annoying as well. I can't stand Photoshop sometimes. These applications are very complex and powerful, and there will always be trade-offs in terms of user interface. I just look forward to Word opening in under 30 seconds again now that it's Universal!
  • Reply 37 of 39
    I've never had under 30 seconds. It spends at least that saying 'Optimizing Font Menu' for me. I've usually got a few hundred fonts installed and switched on.

Same for Excel. Very annoying.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

I've never had under 30 seconds. It spends at least that saying 'Optimizing Font Menu' for me. I've usually got a few hundred fonts installed and switched on.

Same for Excel. Very annoying.

You should try clearing your font caches (using Onyx or Tiger Cache Cleaner) and also delete your font cache file in the Microsoft preference folder in ~/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Office Font Cache
  • Reply 39 of 39
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Also, if anyone is interested, there is a new MacMojo post today about the new Office Interface with better screenshots.

Here are direct links to the shots: Picture 1, Picture 2, Picture 3, Picture 4

Interface: not bad. Whoever is doing their tool bar icons is doing a good job though. I'm not sold on the Elements gallery but I'll tell you what; it looks a LOT like the stationary in Leopard Mail.

Entourage: The lack of Entourage screenshots indicates a couple things. One of them is that they are revamping the interface and possibly coding it from scratch. They already have lots or reworking to do in transitioning to Xcode.