No one interested in Leopard?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
well, that's the claim made by Charles Arthur of the Guardian (UK)!

Read the story here.

Is this guy a general Windows-lover-Mac-basher? or is he just one among the millions getting too impatient, waiting for OSX Leopard?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajay View Post

well, that's the claim made by Charles Arthur of the Guardian (UK)!

Read the story here.

Is this guy a general Windows-lover-Mac-basher? or is he just one among the millions getting too impatient, waiting for OSX Leopard?

That guy and that publication are simply anti-mac and pro microsoft. It practilcally reeks of it for quite a while.

The thing is, the iPhone is new and so revolutionary, that it is the big news right now and Apple is hamming it up, while saying nothing about Leopard. Then came the new iPod line up, which requires its own attention. This is all very strategic of Apple. By the beginning of October, you can expect to hear more about leopard.

many are excited about Leopard, but we already know all that Apple wants us to know at this point.

No news and so the mindshare has dropped a bit. Pretty normal stuff. I for one hope Apple puts as much marketing into the OS as the iPhone. OS X 10.5 is what I am really looking forward to.

Also, comparing anticipation for an Apple OS update to the Vista wait is ridiculous. Apple updates its OS at a minimum of 2 years, while Vista took 6 years. The Leopard updated new features certainly are impressive for such a short turnaround. Vista took six years just to ape the OS X UI (and still looks bad) and to add flip 3D, which is pretty useless. big whoop.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    zoczoc Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

Vista took six years just to ape the OS X UI (and still looks bad) and to add flip 3D, which is pretty useless. big whoop.

I'm not really a microsoft fan (I love my mac and OS X), but I have to said that you're totally wrong on this point.

Almost everything, including the core part of Vista, was rewritten from scratch, to be more modular and consume less ressources (but it seems they didn't make a very good job on this last point )
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoc View Post

I'm not really a microsoft fan (I love my mac and OS X), but I have to said that you're totally wrong on this point.

Almost everything, including the core part of Vista, was rewritten from scratch, to be more modular and consume less ressources (but it seems they didn't make a very good job on this last point )

Apple on the other hand has come up with many useful features year after year and performance has actually increased with updates. I cannot wait for Leopard to come out, although I will probably wait a few months in order to be sure that it is stable after its break in period.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoc View Post

Not really. Vista was supposed to be a from the ground up rewrite but MS ran into too many problems and in 2004 decided to go with MS server 2003 as the kernel. Some have tried to resurrect the original Vista project but MS shut that down as well.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

. Vista took six years just to ape the OS X UI (and still looks bad) and to add flip 3D, which is pretty useless. big whoop.

Call me crazy but I like the aero look. I actually think it's pretty nice. Where I hate vista is with all the permissions needed to accomplish simple tasks. The Apple add 'accept or deny' is actually not much of an exaggeration. Functionally it's got a way to go but it looks nice, IMO.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Call me crazy but I like the aero look. I actually think it's pretty nice.

Really? Man, it just seems but ugly to me. Worse than XP.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Really? Man, it just seems but ugly to me. Worse than XP.

I liked Aero at first. Even better than OS X. It just doesn't seem to handle the passing of time very well. It looks like it is trying to be a video game and the transparentcy everywhere get annoying after a while. the transparent menu bar in Leopard looks just about right to me.

I also don't like the way graphics are handled in windows. OS X makes the windows look so smooth. vista has harsh lines when the windows end. it looks cheap in comparison.

the more I look at vista now, the worse it looks.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    ajayajay Posts: 117member
    Quote:

the more I look at vista now, the worse it looks.

touche!

if steve was just trying to divert our attentions away from leopard, then he's done a mighty impressive job (sorry! no pun intended!!) - first the iphone, then the family of ipods... keeps people from talking too much about the delay in leopard.... what it's got... what not... windoze users would keep saying why vista would be better .... you know? the whole commotion.

now that he's kinda successfully taken care of most of the whiners.... i'll bet the guys at apple have been working on some kick-ass feature in the background (shielded from all, by the noise about the iphone and the ipods)... & when leopard does come out.... its gonna gonna be one helluva hat-trick!
  • Reply 9 of 13
    I hope so... part of me still thinks that might be the case although another (bigger) part thinks they've been so diverted by the iPhone that what we see with Leopard now is what we'll get. Not that that's so bad... I think OS X is so polished already that I'm not looking to necessarily be gob-smacked by the next version, although the gizmo-happy part of me always wants something new... I prefer Vista to XP and I do like its transparencies and the way windows fade in and out, but other than that I think it's horrible compared to OS X... it's SOOOO busy... every window full of clutter and buttons everywhere. I hate the way I can pass my mouse over practically anything (especially in a folder window) without little popups getting in my face about what the file is and what type, etc.... sheesh, shut up already!
  • Reply 10 of 13
    ajayajay Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toxotes View Post

I hope so... part of me still thinks that might be the case although another (bigger) part thinks they've been so diverted by the iPhone that what we see with Leopard now is what we'll get.

well, the plan was to distract everyone else... not themselves... although i guess apple can pull off such a coup, would be sad if they get distracted themselves!

Quote:

Not that that's so bad... I think OS X is so polished already that I'm not looking to necessarily be gob-smacked by the next version, although the gizmo-happy part of me always wants something new...

would be hard for windows to keep up with mac in terms of providing a stable OS. but then again, would be foolish to expect the guys at apple to get complacent just because they're better. they still need a bigger market share & the only key is innovating & improving... i.e. business as usual!

Quote:

I prefer Vista to XP and I do like its transparencies and the way windows fade in and out, but other than that I think it's horrible compared to OS X... it's SOOOO busy... every window full of clutter and buttons everywhere. I hate the way I can pass my mouse over practically anything (especially in a folder window) without little popups getting in my face about what the file is and what type, etc....

ha ha ha ha!

in retrospect xp does feel & work better than vista! sure, vista has a slick interface but no point if it's gonna hog the system resources... especially, on lower end machines, i guess you don't even get a feel of the slickness - this is where windows goes horribly wrong. in comparison, OSX is still retro-compatible to a greater extent - tiger would still run on G4s almost as smoothly as in the core 2 duos!

Quote:

sheesh, shut up already!

have a good weekend!
  • Reply 11 of 13
    I'd hardly say that the particular article reeks of anti Mac sentiment, but he's not exactly a big fan right bout now. He does raise the point that the internet is a really exciting platform right now, instead of being excited about Windows Vista, I'm interested in Silver Light. Go figure.

That being said, I disagree when he says that we don't need Leopard. I, for one, will benefit hugely from the features like Spaces, Quick Look, Time Machine, even the updates to iCal and Address Book are a bonus. And of course the additional eye candy is all good too . I just hope the OS is stable once it hits stores, because from what I've heard and seen on this forum it's just not ready yet!
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael528 View Post

I'd hardly say that the particular article reeks of anti Mac sentiment, but he's not exactly a big fan right bout now. He does raise the point that the internet is a really exciting platform right now, instead of being excited about Windows Vista, I'm interested in Silver Light. Go figure.

That being said, I disagree when he says that we don't need Leopard. I, for one, will benefit hugely from the features like Spaces, Quick Look, Time Machine, even the updates to iCal and Address Book are a bonus. And of course the additional eye candy is all good too . I just hope the OS is stable once it hits stores, because from what I've heard and seen on this forum it's just not ready yet!

the whole tech section is anti mac and that has been know for a while. the article is so biased and full of lame assumptions and comparisons, you have to wonder where they found this guy.

in any case, it doesn't matter. leopard is coming out and if it is indeed stable by 10.5.1 then it will have officially blown vista away. the interface as we know it so far is already an improvement and the features are enough that ms will have nothing left to do but try to reinvent the gui for windows.

As far as the internet as a platform... no thanks. too many technologies and besides that is how it was in the IBM mainframe days. i don't want to be bound by my ISP. i want a standalone computer that can do everything offline as well as have the content bonus when i am connected.

silverlight is merely a microsoft attempt to get back in the spotlight. it is nothing that is not already available from adobe. and most people already have the flash plugin to play a variety of compatible content. silverlight is just one more proprietary plugint o download and deal with. it reminds me of the early IE vs netscape days. and it took a netscape resurgence in firefox to help out with that. adobe is already coverting flash to the h.264 codec, so any silverlight advantage will be moor anyway. Adobe jsut needs to combine flex with flash and silverlight will go away.

silverlight is not needed and not wanted (expect for the competition to push adobe to make better prodcuts at better prices). nobody wants to go back to the dark ages of internet where you had to download a proprietary plugin for just about every website you visited. if content were on standardized formats, the internet would be a better place. as it is, flash or h.264 for video and mp3 for audio are great standards to work with.

i am glad to see a full and feature rich Os like Leopard on its way so that I can have all the power of an OS without being tethered to the internet.

the internet is best as an information adn content source. i don't want my apps gone when i am struggling with the bills or when an isp is having problems. you should have the option of using net apps, but always be able to go back to untethered computer. the only thing that should be REQUIRED to run your computer is a power source.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I for one am excited about Leopard, at least the time machine app. My kids seldom to never back anything up. I just bought a Western Digital 1TB My Book to connect to our base station, so I won't have to constantly upgrade their hard drives or worry about them deleting part of their iTunes library.