Compressing video file

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
How can i compress a video file, its 8GB & i need to put it on a 4.7GB dvd. I thought i could use disk utility to do this, but it wont compress when i try to make a "New Image" it says "Unable to Create, Resource is Busy"

any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Nope, you can't do this with Disk Utility. It sounds like you are copying a commercial DVD onto a single layer disc. You have to rip the movie using say Mactheripper and then compress the movie using either a requantizer (like DVD2one) or just re-encoding, the former generally loses less quality and is much faster.

Once you have an image, you can then use Disk Utility to burn it.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

compress the movie using either a requantizer (like DVD2one) or just re-encoding, the former generally loses less quality and is much faster.

Once you have an image, you can then use Disk Utility to burn it.

Im using toast to burn, I've got everything captured, I haven't used DVD2one in a while, should have thought about that, thanks for reminding me
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Are you using Toast 8? You can compress with that, or another Roxio program called Popcorn.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skybolt View Post

Are you using Toast 8? You can compress with that, or another Roxio program called Popcorn.

Toast 6, I have popcorn, im an idot