Safari a focus of Apple's latest Mac OS X 10.4.11 build

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brianus View Post

Uh.. dude. You need to take a look at Safari 2. Yes, I'm talking about 2, not 3, I'm talking regular Tiger Safari. Open it up, hit Command-T or look in the File menu. It's right there, "New Tab". Or right-click on a link and select "Open Link in New Tab.." c'mon dude, pay attention!

The only thing Safari 3 adds is the ability to rearrange the tabs or create new windows from them by dragging. But the tabs themselves have been there for more than two years.

Where is the New Tab again? I'll try to upload an image. It ain't under my file menu in Safari 2.
  • Reply 42 of 52
    brianusbrianus Posts: 169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Where is the New Tab again? I'll try to upload an image. It ain't under my file menu in Safari 2.

Do you have it disabled perhaps in the application's Preferences? There's a "Tabs" panel in there.
  • Reply 43 of 52
    Here's some pics I took of my screen.

Safari

Camino

pic2
  • Reply 44 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brianus View Post

Do you have it disabled perhaps in the application's Preferences? There's a "Tabs" panel in there.

You're right. I enabled it and it seems to be like Camino. Thanks for the tip.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

You're right. I enabled it and it seems to be like Camino. Thanks for the tip.

Checking preferences before confidently and indignantly announcing that a feature isn't present is a good idea.

LOL. Pretty funny exchange.
  • Reply 46 of 52
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Checking preferences before confidently and indignantly announcing that a feature isn't present is a good idea.

LOL. Pretty funny exchange.

Although I couldn't understand was back2mac was talking about in the first instance, it's true that tabbed browsing is off by default although it's the first thing I change when I set up a Tiger Mac.
  • Reply 47 of 52
    mdcatmdcat Posts: 79member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lenny View Post

Which version of Safari do you have? I've been using Safari 3.0.3 Beta for over a month and I don't remember it crashing.

Safari 2 almost never crashed for me, but Safari 3 does, about once every other day.

And v3. still doesn't fix the memory leak. I have had to relaunch Safari almost daily to get back the memory it sucks up on my 1GB RAM Mac Mini
  • Reply 48 of 52
    Quote:

Safari 2 has a bookmark bar. Is that what you refer to as tabbed browsing? Nowhere in Safari is the word tab. There is no menu that has the 'open as tab' command. Are you talking about version 2 or 3 of safari? Safari version 3 is supposed to have tabbed browsing.

In camino I can open multiple links(web pages) at once and switch between them. That is what I refer to as tabbed browsing. The pages update in the background.

The bottom line is that in safari only one link or web page can be open at a time (version 2). In camino I have multiple web pages opened at the same time and can switch between them. Tabbed browsing.

Dude, there is a tab in the preferences pane called Tabs!

In Safari 2, you must first activiate the browser tabs before you can use them
  • Reply 49 of 52
    Quote:

Safari 2 has a bookmark bar. Is that what you refer to as tabbed browsing? Nowhere in Safari is the word tab. There is no menu that has the 'open as tab' command. Are you talking about version 2 or 3 of safari? Safari version 3 is supposed to have tabbed browsing.

In camino I can open multiple links(web pages) at once and switch between them. That is what I refer to as tabbed browsing. The pages update in the background.

The bottom line is that in safari only one link or web page can be open at a time (version 2). In camino I have multiple web pages opened at the same time and can switch between them. Tabbed browsing.

In menu Safari>Preferences open the Tabs pane and check "Enable Tabbed Browsing" and any other options you want. Look at key combinations. Close.

Learn something new every day.
  • Reply 50 of 52
    The only I switched to Firefox is because my computer is too old for Safari.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    I use a small free program called MemoryCell to keep tabs on how much memory Safari is using and when it gets up to about 250+ MB I close and reopen Safari. I rarely have crashes because of this and since I have Saft installed, all my previous tabs reopen when I restart Safari. It's a pain that I have to do this but it works well for me. It also comes in handy when using iPhoto because it has a similar memory leak issue with large collections (it usually crashes when memory usage hits 1.3GB).

MemoryCell: http://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/
  • Reply 52 of 52
    Safari needs automatic session restoring instead of relying on a third party add-on. And also some sort of notification that a popup has been blocked. There's also no way to temporarily allow popups (without un-checking the menu item).