Study: HDTVs, Windows PCs crowd out Apple on holiday wish lists

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    I wouldn't want everyone to own a Mac.
  • Reply 42 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slogan621 View Post

AppleTV is a paradigm shift that isn't going to sell itself easily. People need to be urged to make the change. So, if I were Apple, I would use the high results for HDTV as a lever to getting more people to adopt AppleTV, by partnering with manufacturers to offer some kind of rebate or coupon if an AppleTV is bought within 30 days of the purchase of the HDTV.

Exactly what about the AppleTV is a paradigm shift? Assuming you already have a video-capable iPod, the AppleTV essentially becomes a $300 iPod video cable. Not exactly a paradigm shift. If you don't have an iPod, it's basically an unmoving iPod. Again, what paradigm shift?

A TiVo DVR, the Xbox 360, the PS3 and a slew of Windows Media extenders can do pretty much everything the AppleTV plus providing features above and beyond AppleTV. Gaming (360/PS3), HD Video (360/PS3), Web-browsing (PS3), Video/Voice/Text Chats (360/PS3), DVR functions (TiVo and maybe in the future PS3), direct rental/purchasing of videos (360/TiVo). What does AppleTV bring to the table to excite purchasers?

I can only assume the paradigm shift you're talking about buying TV shows via iTunes and ditching cable. That may work for maybe 5% of the populace, but I think most people would find that both in price and convenience it just ends up being better to stick with cable/satellite. My TV viewing last night consisted of Jeopardy, Deal or No Deal, and Bionic Woman. If I had to pay $1.99 each to watch Jeopardy or Deal or No Deal, I'd just skip them. How good do you think TV ratings would be if cable service was free, but each show required a $2 fee? I bet they'd plummet pretty quick.
  • Reply 43 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

How about a little critical thinking here?

Look at the women's score. 19% plan to buy a Windows laptop (ALL brands combined) while 7% plan to buy an Apple laptop. If they follow through, that would give Apple a 26% market share among women buyers.

Still, given Apple's current overall market share of 5-6%, a 26% share among women laptop buyers is a good sign. Amazing how these polling firms can manage to find bad news about Apple every where they look.

Excellent comment. Yes, I wonder how Sony vs HP vs Dell would come out compared to Apple if each brand were listed individually!!!

The same with TVs. Did everyone only want a HDTV vs a specific brand?????

Elder Norm
  • Reply 44 of 58
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eldernorm View Post

Excellent comment. Yes, I wonder how Sony vs HP vs Dell would come out compared to Apple if each brand were listed individually!!!

The same with TVs. Did everyone only want a HDTV vs a specific brand?????

Elder Norm

True, but Apple's problem, in this context, is that they are the only vendor for the Mac OS whereas Microsoft as many vendors for Windows. Apple will always be at a disadvantage because of that. However, I seem to remember that Apple is in third place for sales (laptops?) with Gateway in fourth.
  • Reply 45 of 58
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IHateRegistering View Post

Duh! People are retarded! Don't you know that yet?! Look at all the Windows users in the world!

95% of all home theater systems I've seen set-up in homes have all 5+ speakers up front. Half the time the surrounds aren't even hooked up... not to mention not SURROUNDING you. Or it's hooked up using RCAs and not the special Coax cable or optical. People bought it because "you got to get a Dolby Digital home theater!" Well, they got one. Kind of.

Same thing with High Def TVs. People got 'em allright. Sort of. Actually they got a really expensive, flat, standard def TV. Hahaha or they hook-up the TV using standard cablr coax or RCAs instead of component or HDMI. DUHR!!!

Kinda makes you wonder how the heck these people would buy an Appletv and get it working?
  • Reply 46 of 58
    I specifically made it known I DIDN'T want an iPhone because my family and friends know I'm a technology nut. I don't want to be locked into AT&T for 2 years with an expensive monthly fee, but the main reason is Apple's ruthlessness in zapping any third party apps on the phone. I'll just stick with my Treo that I can customize the way I want it, and I don't have to worry about Palm intentionally zapping my applications. I like Apple's products, but honestly, Steve Jobs makes Microsoft look benevolent by comparison with this iron fist. I understand he thinks that absolute control is what makes Apple's products more reliable, but recent quality control issues may not bear that out!!
  • Reply 47 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McDave View Post

Good point. Especially as things to plug into the HDTV seem to be way down the list. Is HD DTT that widespread in the US?

Assuming that most of the US is at least as far along as the Midwest, DTT is as ubiquitous as analog broadcast.
  • Reply 48 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Thats because Steve Jobs doesn't live in a reality that the rest of us dwell in. Steve Jobs believes that everyone should live in an all Apple world it's that belief that has kept his market share at 5% or less for oh lets say 30 years. A sub 200.00 mp3 player the sole exception.

What Steve Jobs has done is created the AOL version of computing. Service upon service for all the people that don't really understand how all this stuff works. Genius Bars that you can even pay extra for to get to the front of the line. .Mac overpriced for that whole 10gig of space.

Products and sofware that only work with other Apple products and software.

What Steve does have going for him are people that continue to buy his products based on a cult following. Its always been this way with Apple and always will be until he steps down.

You will never see Apple own 5-6% of the market until he moves on. You can't dispute that because decades of history have already proven this fact. Even with intel spikes they have not been able to break that barrier. Right now is about as good as Apple has ever had it and they are still 5% of the market.

You might want to do a bit more research in the future....

Fortune's Apple 2.0 Blog reports on an analyst research note by Berstein Research's Toni Sacconaghi Jr that reframes some of Apple's notebook marketshare numbers.

In breaking notebook shares into 5 separate price ranges (quintiles), Sacconaghi found that Apple's marketshare amongst the most expensive quintile of notebooks was as high as 29%. Of course, also based on his data, Apple lost marketshare amongst the bottom three quintiles (cheapest notebook sales).

Unfortunately, these numbers by themselves are near meaningless. However, the most interesting tidbit of information gleaned was when they excluded business sales: Apple's 29% notebook marketshare rose to 46% when counting only consumer + educational sales.

This may confirm anecdotal reports that Apple's marketshare appears to be booming amongst college campuses. As a result, Apple's consumer marketshare could be substantially higher than the traditional 5-6% marketshare numbers would suggest.
  • Reply 49 of 58
    If the survey analysis lumps brand specific items, ie iPhone, together with generic items, ie cell phone, then this is one meaningless survey. Simple fact is that a specific brand is expected to be smaller than the category as a whole. This story definitely has an anti-Apple spin to it.
  • Reply 50 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post

You might want to do a bit more research in the future....

Fortune's Apple 2.0 Blog reports on an analyst research note by Berstein Research's Toni Sacconaghi Jr that reframes some of Apple's notebook marketshare numbers.

In breaking notebook shares into 5 separate price ranges (quintiles), Sacconaghi found that Apple's marketshare amongst the most expensive quintile of notebooks was as high as 29%. Of course, also based on his data, Apple lost marketshare amongst the bottom three quintiles (cheapest notebook sales).

Unfortunately, these numbers by themselves are near meaningless. However, the most interesting tidbit of information gleaned was when they excluded business sales: Apple's 29% notebook marketshare rose to 46% when counting only consumer + educational sales.

This may confirm anecdotal reports that Apple's marketshare appears to be booming amongst college campuses. As a result, Apple's consumer marketshare could be substantially higher than the traditional 5-6% marketshare numbers would suggest.

All I got out of your statement was that if you divide the laptop market enough, eventually Apple's marketshare will look really good.
  • Reply 51 of 58
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

All I got out of your statement was that if you divide the laptop market enough, eventually Apple's marketshare will look really good.

Yes, it looks really good in the market segments Apple competes in and really bad in the ones that Apple doesn't. Gee...that makes sense.

Of course, glass half empty and glass half full folks will both point to that result and claim it supports their position...
  • Reply 52 of 58
    Quote:

Thats because Steve Jobs doesn't live in a reality that the rest of us dwell in. Steve Jobs believes that everyone should live in an all Apple world it's that belief that has kept his market share at 5% or less for oh lets say 30 years. .....

You will never see Apple own 5-6% of the market until he moves on. You can't dispute that because decades of history have already proven this fact. Even with intel spikes they have not been able to break that barrier. Right now is about as good as Apple has ever had it and they are still 5% of the market.

Just checking. Would you be an MS Troll? You just do not seem to like Apple, Steve Jobs or Apple products. Well, not very much anyway. :-)

I just read a Business Week ONline story from 2001 about how Steve Jobs should just give up with this Apple Store idea. Dell aint doing it (and look how successful they are), Gateway is selling bottom line units and losing money, bla, bla, bla. :-)

Yep, Apple stores average more sales per sq ft than Tiffany's. (sp?) So I guess they must be a failure. :-) And 120 million iPods, yep no one wants them. :-) Boy, I think you should should sell any Apple shares right away. Laura Goldman(stock analysis) said sell at 118 cause Apple is going down and you know she must know what she is talking abut.

Hey, enough laughs got to go. LOL :-) snicker...

EN
  • Reply 53 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imacFP View Post

True, but Apple's problem, in this context, is that they are the only vendor for the Mac OS whereas Microsoft as many vendors for Windows. Apple will always be at a disadvantage because of that. However, I seem to remember that Apple is in third place for sales (laptops?) with Gateway in fourth.

Yes, but my original comment was about how Apple would fair if the "I want a PC" comment would be if it were broken down by "I want a Dell, HP, compact, etc". I don't think anyone ever says I will take what ever you have got, as long as its powered by Microsoft.!!" LOL

EN
  • Reply 54 of 58
    Quote:

Just checking. Would you be an MS Troll? You just do not seem to like Apple, Steve Jobs or Apple products. Well, not very much anyway. :-)

I just read a Business Week ONline story from 2001 about how Steve Jobs should just give up with this Apple Store idea. Dell aint doing it (and look how successful they are), Gateway is selling bottom line units and losing money, bla, bla, bla. :-)

Yep, Apple stores average more sales per sq ft than Tiffany's. (sp?) So I guess they must be a failure. :-) And 120 million iPods, yep no one wants them. :-) Boy, I think you should should sell any Apple shares right away. Laura Goldman(stock analysis) said sell at 118 cause Apple is going down and you know she must know what she is talking abut.

EN

Who said they were a failure?
  • Reply 55 of 58
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Who said they were a failure?

Don't be pedantic. You suggested that Apple is failing with 5% marketshare.

What you fail to see is that Apple owns the most valuable segment of the overall marketshare you mention. If we include only high-end machines with C2D CPUs or $1000 and up machines we see that Apple is top dog. We look at the consumer market, Apple's focus, and leave out the business sector we see Apple is top dog. Apple doesn't care that Dell are selling low-budget PCs or they would have entered that market. How is Dell doing these days, anyway?
  • Reply 56 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Don't be pedantic. You suggested that Apple is failing with 5% marketshare.

What you fail to see is that Apple owns the most valuable segment of the overall marketshare you mention. If we include only high-end machines with C2D CPUs or $1000 and up machines we see that Apple is top dog. We look at the consumer market, Apple's focus, and leave out the business sector we see Apple is top dog. Apple doesn't care that Dell are selling low-budget PCs or they would have entered that market. How is Dell doing these days, anyway?

Apple isn't the top dog at anything for the exception of iPods. Thirty years of history backs that up

By the way I was talking about their stores not being a failure when it comes to keeping them busy, as a overall leader in anything, yes they fail in many areas.

If they continue to do nothing but builds underpowered macbooks, overpriced macbooks pros, AIO and a true desktop system that most will not pay for they will continue only grab 5% of the market, and even less of the business world.

If you don't realize this then your parents are still buying your macbook and you are still living in their basement.
  • Reply 57 of 58
    Quote:

EN

No actually I own two current 24" iMacs and a Mac Pro along with two Winodws based machines. I just down bow down to Apple when I have an issue with somthing they do, same goes for anything I buy or use.

Just because someone isn't a blind fanboy doesn't mean they are a troll.