OS upgrade question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm new to apple, well not quite yet, been waiting for leopard to come out to buy a macbook pro for the last 6 months.

Not being familiar with the base of Apple OS's and only used to windows... I am wondering what the effects of getting the laptop now and then upgrading to leopard when I can get my $10 copy in 10 days. That is to say, will there be remnants of the old OS leftover after the upgrade wasting hard drive space and using resources. In your past experience what kind of problems does this cause and should I just wait 10 days and get leopard installed cleanly is my question?

thanks, I'm really excited about my switch just getting really tired of waiting

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    The upgrade process is quite clean. As well as easy.

If you want the computer now... go ahead... upgrading should not cause you any concern.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    You can even save all of your information by choosing the archive and install option.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    If you buy a MBP now and upgrade to Leopard later you'll have to pay for an iLife upgrade as well.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    no.... if you order it, iLife '08 comes installed.

That's the newest version.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

no.... if you order it, iLife '08 comes installed.

That's the newest version.

Leopard and iLife '08 are sold seperately.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SushiP View Post

Leopard and iLife '08 are sold seperately.

Yes, but as pointed out, if he buys a NEW COMPUTER, it comes with iLife 08. Your comment about him having to pay for it is wrong.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Yes, but as pointed out, if he buys a NEW COMPUTER, it comes with iLife 08. Your comment about him having to pay for it is wrong.

Read my original post carefully, I said that if he buys a new MBP now he'll have to buy iLife '08 when it comes out.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    iLife 08 is ALREADY out. It comes on all new machines, including the one that he would buy NOW.