MBP battery has less power after turning it off and back on 1 day later.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I noticed my MBP battery lost about 8% of it's power after just one day of being off. Is this normal? I would think that losing a few percent over a week would be more normal. At my rate, my battery will die in about ten days.

Anybody else see anything similar with theirs?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Well, it sounds a little excessive to me, I know my iBook loses about 2% a day, however my beat up old battery only holds 15% charge.

You might want to get it checked out, but I wouldn't worry about it unless you don't use it for several days and then suddenly need to use it without the charger.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    When you say "off", you mean shut down, right?

It may take 8% just to boot it up, depending on what Login Items you have.

You'd have to leave it off 2 days and see if it lost 16%. Or alternatively, reboot twice in a row and see what it loses each time.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

When you say "off", you mean shut down, right?

It may take 8% just to boot it up, depending on what Login Items you have.

You'd have to leave it off 2 days and see if it lost 16%. Or alternatively, reboot twice in a row and see what it loses each time.

Yes, turned completely off and put away for the night in the laptop bag. It's NOT sleeping.

8% to boot up? I don't think I have many login items unless menumeters, little snitch, and iStats use a lot of power.

I will take another look at it when I get the battery recharged. It ran out last night and my son shredded my power adapter cord in the paper shredder. Apple isn't going to ship the new one until almost the end of Oct...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

...and my son shredded my power adapter cord in the paper shredder.

ummm...?

how exactly did that happen?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

ummm...?

how exactly did that happen?

Easy. The power block was lying on the counter because i had used it earlier to charge up my MBP. Just below it is the paper shredder and the cord from the block was left lying on top of the shredder. My wife asked our younger son to shred some mail and bam, a shredded cord.

The thing that kills me is that the new power adapter isn't even going to ship until late Oct. When I ordered it from Apple, they said it would ship much earlier than the date that is now on the order receipt. And I was also looking forward to running 10.5.