Apple to fire up Penryn-based Mac Pros

Comments

• Reply 41 of 398
    Anybody want to know why Apple is REALLY upgrading their Mac Pro's?

One guess.

NEW OS THAT HOG'S THE PROCESSOR SPEEDS AND NOW YOU NEED TO UPGRADE JUST TO USE THE BASIC, BUT BLOATED OS!

Yeah for Leapord.

haha! C'mon people... you know its true. Don't be a hater.
  • Reply 42 of 398
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Not likely Troll. The basic system requirements are from an ancient 867MHz system. Being that 90% of computer users agree that time to upgrade your system is when technology has doubled in speed over your current system. A single core 867MHz box is so freaking unbelievably slow by todays standards it's amazing that it works. I would have expected a dual 1GHz system at the least. BTW, your foot is so far down your mouth is already shot out your ass. Have a nice day.
  • Reply 43 of 398
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    It seems a lot of posts are complaining about two things. 1) Apple needs a mid-size tower that is affordable 2) more and faster GPU options.

As someone with a dual G4 1.2 GHz desperate to upgrade, I couldn't agree more. For example, Gateway has a new computer with the 2.4GHz Quad core, I think it is called the Q6600. It sells for about $950. It looks like a typical PC POS, but in terms of the specs alone, it would be perfect for my needs. No one can convince me that Apple could not build something similar, even if they charge $1,400.

Apple basically has two lines of computers, workstation and portables. The iMac and Mac Mini are basically laptops in many respects. Where is a desktop with the extremely fast and inexpensive dual and quad core Conroe's? Even the top end iMac at 2.8 GHz is really slowed down by an 800MHz bus IIRC. Some newer Conroe's, or whatever they are now called, now use 1333 bus just like the Xeon and even the older ones use 1066MHz buses.

The only way we have any hope at all to change their minds and finally give us a desktop Mac is to let them know. Complaining about it here will accomplish absolutely nothing. Please take 30 seconds and send them some feedback about this. If they receive thousands of emails requesting an affordable Mac between the Mac Mini and Mac Pro, we might at least have a slim chance they will listen.

Here is the Mac Pro Feedback link

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
  • Reply 44 of 398
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lookingglass View Post

A $1,000 Mac, please??? Hello?

Your in the WRONG thread. The words $1000 and Mac Pro don't belong in the same thread.

Well, it's good news. We should see new Mac Pros sometime early in 2008, hopefully MacWorld or soon after.
  • Reply 45 of 398
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BEatMaKeR View Post

One guess.

NEW OS THAT HOG'S THE PROCESSOR SPEEDS AND NOW YOU NEED TO UPGRADE JUST TO USE THE BASIC, BUT BLOATED OS!

Yeah for Leapord.

Vista using Troll that has never used MacOS in his life.
  • Reply 46 of 398
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

Vista using Troll that has never used MacOS in his life.

He's just scared Leonard.
  • Reply 47 of 398
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

It seems a lot of posts are complaining about two things. 1) Apple needs a mid-size tower that is affordable 2) more and faster GPU options.

As someone with a dual G4 1.2 GHz desperate to upgrade, I couldn't agree more. For example, Gateway has a new computer with the 2.4GHz Quad core, I think it is called the Q6600. It sells for about $950. It looks like a typical PC POS, but in terms of the specs alone, it would be perfect for my needs. No one can convince me that Apple could not build something similar, even if they charge $1,400.

Apple basically has two lines of computers, workstation and portables. The iMac and Mac Mini are basically laptops in many respects. Where is a desktop with the extremely fast and inexpensive dual and quad core Conroe's? Even the top end iMac at 2.8 GHz is really slowed down by an 800MHz bus IIRC. Some newer Conroe's, or whatever they are now called, now use 1333 bus just like the Xeon and even the older ones use 1066MHz buses.

The only way we have any hope at all to change their minds and finally give us a desktop Mac is to let them know. Complaining about it here will accomplish absolutely nothing. Please take 30 seconds and send them some feedback about this. If they receive thousands of emails requesting an affordable Mac between the Mac Mini and Mac Pro, we might at least have a slim chance they will listen.

Here is the Mac Pro Feedback link

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html

There is a whole tread about it here

Your right though. It's time for some Mac Pro Feedback.
  • Reply 48 of 398
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BEatMaKeR View Post

One guess.

Yeah for Leapord.

Yes, because my 6-year-old 800MHz G4 iMac is 67MHz away from being able to run the full version of Leopard (minus the 2% of features that require an intel proc.) the OS is a resource hog. Meanwhile, my 2-year-old PC laptop is incapable of running the full version of Vista, a 1-year-old OS. How sad is that?

-Clive
  • Reply 49 of 398
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Just an FYI, My Quicksilver was originally only 733MHz, upgraded with a dual G4 1.2 GHz and Leopard runs fine. It doesn't care what your original speed was, only what the current speed is, so upgrades are supported.
  • Reply 50 of 398
    my mac pro is still shipping so apple best announce then new one right NOW.

They gave us the iPhone 6 months ahead of release, why not give me 20 days to convince the company that i really dont need a mac pro until the beginning of december and that an upgraded version will be coming out soon.

at least i didnt have to pay a cent.
  • Reply 51 of 398
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

Apple, take a hint:

The gap between iMac and Mac Pro is so huge you could fit two product lines and semi truck in there.

Really there isn't a good reason not to make an xMac/MacPro Mini/Mac Plus? (aside form your monetary greed, aparently). Intel's CPU offerings include a wide range of processors between those in the iMac and those in the Mac Pro. For prosumers, the iMac is too weak, has crappy graphics an NO EXPANDABILITY, meanwhile the MacPro is a waste for doing anything less than video-editing, 3D rendering and Photoshop filtering, simultaneously. Call it hyperbole if you want, but the main idea is still true. We aren't all either "idiot consumers" or professionals. Ergo, we need a computer that can fit our needs. Desktop-class processor, video card, a PCI slot or two, extra HDD bay, extra optical bay.

It's not too much to ask so for the love of Trogdor, just do it.

Oh yeah, "please."

-Clive

Wrong thread. Discussion of the next generation Mac Pro with high ends is definitely not the thread to request Apple deliver a barebones Core2Duo system with multiple GPU options and 8 Gig RAM with G33 chipsets onboard.
  • Reply 52 of 398
    Make it G35 with pci pci-e x16 and pci-e x4 with firewire and gig-e each over the 2 left over x1 links
  • Reply 53 of 398
    This is great news. I'm not too fussed about the graphics card options, but faster CPU and better memory is always welcome.

Always loved the design of the G5 Powermac/Mac Pro, can't see how they can improve on it vastly, but fingers crossed eh?
  • Reply 54 of 398
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Wrong thread. Discussion of the next generation Mac Pro with high ends is definitely not the thread to request Apple deliver a barebones Core2Duo system with multiple GPU options and 8 Gig RAM with G33 chipsets onboard.

wow... snoot alert...

I think it's perfectly relevant. If these specifications are anywhere near true, Apple has widened the gap between iMac and MacPro with these upcoming updates that it's PC product line is beginning to look like an amputee.

"Uh...... you're.... missing something."

How isn't that gap and its consequences relevant?

-Clive
  • Reply 55 of 398
    Quote:

Mac Pro should debut anytime after mid-November and almost certainly by Macworld Expo in January.

Which means MWSF to me. Unless they have a smaller computer to accompany it like a standard desktop. I wouldn't release a Mac Pro before the holidays. It's not priced to sell well during the holiday season knowing that most people wont get their kid a computer that costs that kind of scratch.

But January on the other hand is a much better time because of the upcoming tax returns, which is when, and why I always buy a new computer.

Quote:

wow... snoot alert...

I think it's perfectly relevant. If these specifications are anywhere near true, Apple has widened the gap between iMac and MacPro with these upcoming updates that it's PC product line is beginning to look like an amputee.

"Uh...... you're.... missing something."

How isn't that gap and its consequences relevant?

-Clive

Because there is already a thread about it, and this isn't it. We don't need two discussion threads about the same topic.
  • Reply 56 of 398
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Then you should be applauding them and praying they go even further in taking the Mac Pro upmarket.

Because until there an absolutely huge space between the iMac and Mac Pro markets, there will be no Mac solution in the middle.
  • Reply 57 of 398
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Then you should be applauding them and praying they go even further in taking the Mac Pro upmarket.

Because until there an absolutely huge space between the iMac and Mac Pro markets, there will be no Mac solution in the middle.

Your right! It does appear they are widening the gap. I hope they keep it going an add some serious graphics cards in there to help it along.
  • Reply 58 of 398
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Which means MWSF to me. Unless they have a smaller computer to accompany it like a standard desktop. I wouldn't release a Mac Pro before the holidays. It's not priced to sell well during the holiday season knowing that most people wont get their kid a computer that costs that kind of scratch.

But January on the other hand is a much better time because of the upcoming tax returns, which is when, and why I always buy a new computer.

I hope you are wrong on the timing. I am hoping for a more immediate Pro fix...say mid-Novemberish. But I guess we will all know soon enough. Like in 30 days or so.
  • Reply 59 of 398
    eroseros Posts: 23member
    Right, now where are the new displays

Hope they accompany the new mac pro's, but probably not.
  • Reply 60 of 398
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

but in years 3 - 6, it needs a new graphics card (it needs that anyway), a new BluRay Reader / DVD burner, and a bigger HDD. Solution: throw the computer out the window and buy a new one beacuse you can't upgrade the damn thing.

You don't throw the computer out the window because you can't upgrade the damn thing ? you can upgrade any computer.

You throw it out the window because you realise that there's a point where it just doesn't make sense financially to upgrade it.

This true of all computers, even of the current top-of-the-range Mac Pro with 16GB of RAM and 8 processor cores will be so long-in-the-tooth some day that it will also be uneconomical to upgrade. That's the price of progress.

It has nothing to do with the iMacs' form factor. Try sourcing a decent card that will work in a 6 year old G4 tower (the most expandable machine at the time) and you'll soon realise that it's an exercise in frustration.