Memory upgrade for iMac (mid 2007 aluminum)

Comments

• Reply 41 of 63
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Did you, perchance, check out the prices for 2GB and 4GB? Was the gig you picked up DIMM or SODIMM.

PNY 's prices were different for the two.

AI: Are the two interchangeable?

There were no 2GB or 4GB modules. I wanted 2GB. But at $40, I couldn't complain. And I assure you, my iMac sings. All this talk about higher quality ram is a little like the talk about high quality cables. If the ram works, it works. If it does not, or has defects, it does not or has defects. Wasting your money on brand name ram is a little like buying a Rolex instead of a Timex. Still, to each his own. I have had premium ram and cheap ram. When ram works, you will never know the difference.
  • Reply 42 of 63
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    Quote:

What was the selling price? OWC's site price is higher than the MacObserver's announced price.

$269 total
  • Reply 43 of 63
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    OWC prices still dropping:

4.0GB (2GB + 2GB Module Set) Upgrade kit for all Apple ...

4.0GB (2GB + 2GB Module Set) Upgrade kit for all Apple 'Core 2 Duo' 2.2GHz, 2.4GHz MacBook Pro "Mid 2007"

Brand: Other World Computing OWC Item # OWC53IM2DDR4GBK

\t

\t$179.99 \t

Techworks 4.0GB (2GB + 2GB Module Set) Upgrade kit for ...

Techworks 4.0GB (2GB + 2GB Module Set) Upgrade kit for all Apple 'Core 2 Duo' 2.2GHz, 2.4GHz MacBook Pro

Brand: TechWorks OWC Item # TWK12683P4GB

\t

\t$195.00
  • Reply 44 of 63
    wow! prices going down that much already!

oh, well!
  • Reply 45 of 63
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    paired RAM are better for performance rite?

i ordered Crucial 2 (1 x 1GB) for my macbook from amazon (shipped by crucial) to go with Leopard

iMac and MacBook architecture different in terms of RAM things?
  • Reply 46 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

paired RAM are better for performance rite?

i ordered Crucial 2 (1 x 1GB) for my macbook from amazon (shipped by crucial) to go with Leopard

iMac and MacBook architecture different in terms of RAM things?

I ordered mine from buy.com, 60.99 w/ 10 M.I.R (thusly 50.99) Shipped free, of course. Same memory.
  • Reply 47 of 63
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Is it OK if I order a Crucial 1GB and match the original Apple 1GB to make it totally 2GB for my coming 20' iMac?
  • Reply 48 of 63
    Am I missing something. Several of you ordered Ram ---- and, then, asked what AI members thought of your purchases. Isn't that putting the horse before the cart? What if AI said, "That's not the right choice?
  • Reply 49 of 63
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Isn't that putting the horse before the cart?

I think you mean the cart before the horse

(hint: the horse is supposed to go in front of (before) the cart)

Anyway, the point you are making is a good one. Certainly seems odd to seek purchasing advice after making the purchase

To Rokken, yes, as long as the Crucial RAM is the right RAM (use their memory advisor to ensure you get the correct RAM and the lifetime warranty), it'll work fine with the RAM already in the machine.
  • Reply 50 of 63
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Anyway, the point you are making is a good one. Certainly seems odd to seek purchasing advice after making the purchase

To Rokken, yes, as long as the Crucial RAM is the right RAM (use their memory advisor to ensure you get the correct RAM and the lifetime warranty), it'll work fine with the RAM already in the machine.

Thx a lot for the help ^^
  • Reply 51 of 63
    Anyone try the Micron MT16HTF25664HY-667 module yet? OWC sells a 2GB DIMM for only $101.00 USD....I think that's a really good deal.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Micron/53SDR2MIC2GB/

http://www.micron.com/products/partd...HTF25664HY-667
  • Reply 52 of 63
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    how about pairing??? i always thought you need a pair of RAM (same size, same capacity and buy as a kit) for perfomance?

i think lots of folks are going to get 2 GB (one stick) RAM for their iMac (with 1GB existing ones) to make it to 3GB

i am not sure 2 GB (2 x 1GB) VS 3GB (1 x 1GB + 1 x 2GB) which is better ...

any one?
  • Reply 53 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

A.

Of course, you're right. How many mistakes am I allowed to make and is someone keeping count?
  • Reply 54 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fletch View Post

Anyone try the Micron MT16HTF25664HY-667 module yet? OWC sells a 2GB DIMM for only $101.00 USD....I think that's a really good deal.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Micron/53SDR2MIC2GB/

http://www.micron.com/products/partd...HTF25664HY-667

Not really a good deal considering you can get two 2GB SODIMM OCZ modules for 129 A/R from Fry's (170 before Rebate).

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/528...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
  • Reply 55 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mindflux View Post

Not really a good deal considering you can get two 2GB SODIMM OCZ modules for 129 A/R from Fry's (170 before Rebate).

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/528...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I just looked at your link and see that Fry's RAM is PC2-5400 and Apple's specs say PC2-5300. Would the discrepency be an issue?

(Otherwise, you're right. It's the best deal out there)

Just had another thought... Will iMacs sold on Friday have Leopard pre-installed? (Curious how soon the new Macs will have it pre-loaded)
  • Reply 56 of 63
    At Fry's site, I could find only this 2GB memory for iMacs:

PATRIOT \t 2GB (2x1GB) PC2-5300 DDR2 667MHz CL5 200-Pin SO-DIMM Patriot Signature PSD22G667SK

$10.00 Rebate

Item # 4789099 \tPATRIOT \tSame Day \t\t

$54.99\t

Notice that it's 2 X 1 GB, not a 2 GB stick. It is cheap though.

The only 2GB (1 stick) was for dual channels:

CORSAIR \t 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 / 667MHz / 2x128Mx64 / Dual Channel / CL4 / 200-Pin So-Dimm / Corsair ValueSelect VS2GSDSKIT667D2

$30.00 Rebate

Item # 5001625 \tCORSAIR \tSame Day \t\t

$74.99\t

I don't believe the iMac is dual channel, but I think the Mac Pro is.

I'm not familiar with either Patriot or Corsair memory. I have been looking for brands espoused by other AI members like OWC, Crucial, Kingston, and some others I can't recall.

OWC is the cheapest I've found on line. A 2GB stick was $75 the last time I looked. The cheapest I've found locally is PNY 2GB at Best Buy for $75.00.
  • Reply 57 of 63
    Quote:

At Fry's site, I could find only this 2GB memory for iMacs:

PATRIOT \t 2GB (2x1GB) PC2-5300 DDR2 667MHz CL5 200-Pin SO-DIMM Patriot Signature PSD22G667SK

$10.00 Rebate

Item # 4789099 \tPATRIOT \tSame Day \t\t

$54.99\t

Notice that it's 2 X 1 GB, not a 2 GB stick. It is cheap though.

The only 2GB (1 stick) was for dual channels:

CORSAIR \t 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 / 667MHz / 2x128Mx64 / Dual Channel / CL4 / 200-Pin So-Dimm / Corsair ValueSelect VS2GSDSKIT667D2

$30.00 Rebate

Item # 5001625 \tCORSAIR \tSame Day \t\t

$74.99\t

I don't believe the iMac is dual channel, but I think the Mac Pro is.

I'm not familiar with either Patriot or Corsair memory. I have been looking for brands espoused by other AI members like OWC, Crucial, Kingston, and some others I can't recall.

OWC is the cheapest I've found on line. A 2GB stick was $75 the last time I looked. The cheapest I've found locally is PNY 2GB at Best Buy for $75.00.

Thanks for the heads-up. So, don't mess with the dual channel sticks? If not, I'll have to look at OWC...
  • Reply 58 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nedrick View Post

Thanks for the heads-up. So, don't mess with the dual channel sticks? If not, I'll have to look at OWC...

See post #39 on this thread.
  • Reply 59 of 63
    Quote:

See post #39 on this thread.

Got it. (Guess I glossed over that before)

Also, it's not critical to have matched pairs with this iMac, correct?
  • Reply 60 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nedrick View Post

I just looked at your link and see that Fry's RAM is PC2-5400 and Apple's specs say PC2-5300. Would the discrepency be an issue?

(Otherwise, you're right. It's the best deal out there)

Just had another thought... Will iMacs sold on Friday have Leopard pre-installed? (Curious how soon the new Macs will have it pre-loaded)

Faster ram should 'clock down'. Meaning your PC2-5400 would run at 5300. Should be no problems.