Meet the black iMac...err XPS One.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/23/d...h-out-gateway/

Maybe Jobs was right that everything is moving toward AIO.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I see this as a good thing for Apple. XPS One will be compared to iMac because iMac is the only thing around to compare to, and the iMac will win at everything because Apple has been in this game longer. It does put pressure on Apple to at least BTO Blu-Ray drives, though.

A mistake from Dell in my opinion. They are going right in the middle of iMacs when they should gather momentum and experience from a $800 machine at the low end where people don't need and expect as much, and/or go up a size class to be a true TV replacement that the iMac isn't.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Inovative design.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    It's not a bad system. Certainly better looking than the Gateway system

I'm actually happy to see a slot load Blu-ray drive. They're getting the drive sizes down so it's good so see this "miniturization" going on.

I'd rather have the 24" iMac with its full 1920x1080 display and of course Leopard :P
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Well said, Gon.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    smeesmee Posts: 195member
    I think gateways looks better than the dell, but NOTHING beats the iMac.

Dell just has to copy everyone don't they

Lol...
  • Reply 7 of 18
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

I see this as a good thing for Apple. XPS One will be compared to iMac because iMac is the only thing around to compare to, and the iMac will win at everything because Apple has been in this game longer. It does put pressure on Apple to at least BTO Blu-Ray drives, though.

A mistake from Dell in my opinion. They are going right in the middle of iMacs when they should gather momentum and experience from a $800 machine at the low end where people don't need and expect as much, and/or go up a size class to be a true TV replacement that the iMac isn't.

I don't know about that. The iMac is definitely going to win on price. Apple has a consistent price structure while Dell jacks on the price on XPS and Professional systems to make up for low margins on entry level machines. Dell also knows that this isn't supposed to be a large volume computer.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

It's not a bad system. Certainly better looking than the Gateway system

I'm actually happy to see a slot load Blu-ray drive. They're getting the drive sizes down so it's good so see this "miniturization" going on.

I'd rather have the 24" iMac with its full 1920x1080 display and of course Leopard :P

Panasonic has had a slot loading Blu-Ray drive for a while. Apple has just chosen not to use it.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:

I don't know about that. The iMac is definitely going to win on price.

It wouldn't win on price on the low end now that the 17" iMac is no more. Dell could go in way below Apple's price class.
    Quote:

Apple has a consistent price structure while Dell jacks on the price on XPS and Professional systems to make up for low margins on entry level machines. Dell also knows that this isn't supposed to be a large volume computer.

Hence, the suggestion for a larger (omgbignumbers) machine than the Apple 24" that would have a clear focus of its own (Full HD TV and playing media) and beat iMac in that department. Good enough to carry the XPS name and fetch even more than the iMac because it wouldn't be directly comparable.

After experiences from such machines, it would be much easier to approach the Apple lineup with a compelling solution of their own. Dell has enough oomph, but do they have vision and will?
    Quote:

Panasonic has had a slot loading Blu-Ray drive for a while. Apple has just chosen not to use it.

What do you wanna bet this will change? Apple will have to have content crippling measures in order to run Blu-Ray movies though.. could get interesting.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

It wouldn't win on price on the low end now that the 17" iMac is no more. Dell could go in way below

Like I said earlier, this isn't a cheap low end Inspiron, it's part of their flagship XPS series. It also has a 22" screen. Expect a price similar to Sony's LT series and the 24" iMac.

Quote:

What do you wanna bet this will change? Apple will have to have content crippling measures in order to run Blu-Ray movies though.. could get interesting.

To be honest, I'm not sure what to believe anymore. I'm not sure if the lack of a HD optical disk drive has more to do with the format ambiguity and Apple waiting for blu-ray/HD-DVD or they're just holding it back for some grand reveal in order to feed Steve Jobs' messiah complex. Either way, Apple was one of the first to adopt DVD-burners and pretty much on of the last to pick up HD burners. Even with the intel switch, product cycles are disturbingly close to the PowerPC days.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

Like I said earlier, this isn't a cheap low end Inspiron, it's part of their flagship XPS series.

So? I'm talking of two machines they should have released instead. They could have easily gone in the $800 category with a 19" widescreen machine.
    Quote:

It also has a 22" screen. Expect a price similar to Sony's LT series and the 24" iMac.

The 22" panels are to 20" what 19" panels have been for the 17". The same thing, takes more space. Going up in resolution costs a lot more.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:

Like I said earlier, this isn't a cheap low end Inspiron, it's part of their flagship XPS series. It also has a 22" screen. Expect a price similar to Sony's LT series and the 24" iMac.

To be honest, I'm not sure what to believe anymore. I'm not sure if the lack of a HD optical disk drive has more to do with the format ambiguity and Apple waiting for blu-ray/HD-DVD or they're just holding it back for some grand reveal in order to feed Steve Jobs' messiah complex. Either way, Apple was one of the first to adopt DVD-burners and pretty much on of the last to pick up HD burners. Even with the intel switch, product cycles are disturbingly close to the PowerPC days.

And remember almost everyone blamed Motorola and IBM! Can't blame them now!
  • Reply 12 of 18
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Even with the intel switch, product cycles are disturbingly close to the PowerPC days.

Yes, because getting a product refresh Yonah (2006) to Merom (2007) to Penryn (2008) is EXACTLY like the PowerPC days...so is going from dual dual Woodcrests (2006) to dual quad Kentsfield (2007) to dual quad Harpertown (2008).

My 2006 MacBookPro feels ancient now with a Yonah/X1600/802.11G in it compared to Merom/8600M GT/802.11N. My early dual 3 Ghz Woodcrest Mac Pro is going to feel the same when the Penryns come out early 2008.

How much shorter are the product cycles supposed to be anyway?
  • Reply 13 of 18
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/23/d...h-out-gateway/

Do you think that Dell could make that any uglier?
  • Reply 14 of 18
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig

Even with the intel switch, product cycles are disturbingly close to the PowerPC days.

what?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Glad someone said it
  • Reply 15 of 18
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
  • Reply 16 of 18
    haro!haro! Posts: 32member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

Do you think that Dell could make that any uglier?

My thoughts exactly, a fitting addition to the horrendous XPS line. Though it IS better than Dell's previous ideas of all-in-ones:

• Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Yes, because getting a product refresh Yonah (2006) to Merom (2007) to Penryn (2008) is EXACTLY like the PowerPC days...so is going from dual dual Woodcrests (2006) to dual quad Kentsfield (2007) to dual quad Harpertown (2008).

My 2006 MacBookPro feels ancient now with a Yonah/X1600/802.11G in it compared to Merom/8600M GT/802.11N. My early dual 3 Ghz Woodcrest Mac Pro is going to feel the same when the Penryns come out early 2008.

Macbook and Mini are still using the 945 chipset almost a year after everyone else switched to the 965.

Mac Pro hasn't been updated in almost 16 months despite updates in affordable quad core chips and graphics technology.

I expect more out of Apple than selling out of date technology to pad profits. I expect them to be at the forefront.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    double post