new macbook pros

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
when do we think they are being updated. Im going to buy one with leopord, but im willing to wait if its logical that an update will be soon.

Thanks,

Cato

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Cato,

It would be helpful if you did a cursory search before posting a new thread.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    i did and i didnt think that the information discussed met my questions. I decided to refresh the question and focus completely on it.

thanks for your advice though,

Cato
  • Reply 3 of 28
    I also am waiting to buy a new Macbook Pro.

Hopefully Apple can get the quad core mobile chips early enough (doubt it, but boy would that be spiffy)

The current state of Leopard, while perfectly functional is causing me to wait it out until Apple fixes the minor issues that are present and finalizes the UI which is currently a hodge-podge of old and new.

When a new Macbook pro or speed bump comes out, then I will buy.

There have been persistent rumors that this would take place in November, but this late in the year suggest MWSF to me.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    I think we'll see a speedbump at MWSF based on Penryn and an all-new design in May or June based on Montevina.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    May or June?? really so late???

I'm really afraid about that!! I planned to buy one on February '08... so close to June to be angry for a brand new release... while June is though so far to wait for a new Mac!!

• Reply 6 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4everskiff View Post

May or June?? really so late???

Intel are expected to ship notebook Penryns in January and Montevina in May or June. Nothing about Penryn requires changes to the case. On the other hand, Montevina will support HDMI and DisplayPort, one or the other of which will probably be supported by Apple. Also, the new wireless technologies supported by Montevina might require some reengineering of the case. So, if there is to be a case redesign, I would expect it to accompany Montevina rather than Penryn.

For me it's simple. I'll buy a new Mac when Apple offer one that weighs less and has higher screen resolution than my 12" PowerBook. I hope it will support 4GB of ram, but even 2GB would be an improvement over the 1.25GB I have now.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Intel are expected to ship notebook Penryns in January and Montevina in May or June. Nothing about Penryn requires changes to the case. On the other hand, Montevina will support HDMI and DisplayPort, one or the other of which will probably be supported by Apple. Also, the new wireless technologies supported by Montevina might require some reengineering of the case. So, if there is to be a case redesign, I would expect it to accompany Montevina rather than Penryn.

For me it's simple. I'll buy a new Mac when Apple offer one that weighs less and has higher screen resolution than my 12" PowerBook. I hope it will support 4GB of ram, but even 2GB would be an improvement over the 1.25GB I have now.

thanks for your specifications

I have a different problem, though. I don't want to buy a new Mac, but just... a Mac! I'm an (unhappy) windooze user, and I wish to switch to Mac. So, I don't actually need a Mac, I can continue for some months with my old PC, that's why i planned to buy a Mac on January or February... just the time to finish my final degree work at university (engineering) on my old PC, and waiti for a reasonable more stable version of Leopard.... but I would be very angry to spend 2000$ to buy a MPB and, then, have an old machine just few months later!!! HW changes are normal and logical... i don't care about that, if I would wait for new and better HW components, I would never buy a Mac or any other tech-product!!! HW features change faster and faster, but a brand new style release in few months would make the product so... old!!! that's what i mean.

thanks and bye

Marco
  • Reply 8 of 28
    4everskiff, I think late January or February would be a great time to buy a MBP. If you like the aluminium design, then what's the problem? I expect it will continue to be new-looking for a few more years.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

4everskiff, I think late January or February would be a great time to buy a MBP. If you like the aluminium design, then what's the problem? I expect it will continue to be new-looking for a few more years.

yes, you're right, indeed! sure, no problems on this way... but, look at this

I would be disappointed if, just few months later, MBPs would be like that. My MBP would seem actually overtaken...
  • Reply 10 of 28
    jimwajimwa Posts: 13member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

Hopefully Apple can get the quad core mobile chips early enough (doubt it, but boy would that be spiffy)

The current state of Leopard, while perfectly functional is causing me to wait it out until Apple fixes the minor issues that are present and finalizes the UI which is currently a hodge-podge of old and new.

When a new Macbook pro or speed bump comes out, then I will buy.

There have been persistent rumors that this would take place in November, but this late in the year suggest MWSF to me.

As to the timing of a quad-core Mobile Penryn (for the MacBook Pro OR the iMac), from talking to Intel, all I can say is: think LATE next summer (as in August or September), about the anniversary of the current Core 2 Extreme iMac's release. Now, a MacBook Pro with a Montevina motherboard and quad-core Mobile Penryn may be nearly a year away, but it will be one heck of a notebook.

I think the November rumors you heard about were for the MacBook, not the MacBook Pro, with the MacBook now about to get the Santa Rosa chip sets, which the MacBook Pros have had since their last rev.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Apple won't go with a quad-core Penryn in a MacBook Pro ever. Too much power consumption and heat generation for the slim casing.

Quote:

until Apple … finalizes the UI which is currently a hodge-podge of old and new.

Don't expect that to happen until 10.6, if ever.

The MacBook Pro will be bumped to mobile dual-core Penryn CPU in January or February, and to Monteniva motherboard chipset in June/July/August. I expect one of those updates to deliver a case tweak/redesign as well.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Apple won't go with a quad-core Penryn in a MacBook Pro ever. Too much power consumption and heat generation for the slim casing.

You're right. Apple won't put a quad-core processor in a laptop until Intel release the successor to Nehalem in 2009 on a 32 nanometer process. Any quad-core processor on a 45 nanometer process will generate too much heat. Also, not so many applications that one typically runs on a laptop can take full advantage of more than two cores.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    wouldn't the best way to predict MBP updates now be to track their specs against rival notebooks from the likes of sony and so on?

there should be some sort of consistancy of competition by now.

maybe.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by james++ View Post

wouldn't the best way to predict MBP updates now be to track their specs against rival notebooks from the likes of sony and so on?

Updates generally occur when either new processors or new chipsets are available from Intel. Intel publish these dates months in advance. For example, it's a fairly safe bet that Apple will update the MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, and Xserve when suitable Penryn CPUs become available (November for desktops and servers, January for laptops).
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Based on past experience, the MBP updates will most likely follow the Intel roadmap. But if AAPL really intends to lead the market, they'll need to do more than bump the speed in January.

I'm in the market for a brand new 15.4" MBP that will have the capacity to edit HD video also two to three years down the line. Given that Leopard demands more of the graphic card, 256mb vram would indeed be a minimum for HD editing, but I'm not comfortable dishing out $500 for 128mb of vram and very slightly improved processor performance at current prices (the current differentiation is a joke ) So I wait & hope they get it right this time around.

I wanna see:
    • Penryn 2.5/2.6 with 2.8 BTO

• GeForce 8700M GT 256/512 WITH BETTER nVIDIA DRIVERS

• 2/4 gb ram

• new BluRay capable Superdrive as standard

• 200gb 5400rpm/250gb 7200rpm hard drives

• design evolution with keyboard update (media keys as seen in the MB) and integrated fingerprint reader

Good ol' Steve is really in a good position now with Leopard out to attract more switchers but the current hardware offering (cf. MP) leaves Apple trailing if nothing radical is done soon
  • Reply 16 of 28
    in january of course!!thats the update of mbp..

with leds,penryn,more v-ram ore 8700 gt(8800 unlikely to hapend)

And blueray.

if not apple is milking the people once again..(selling yesterday technology...when they could do so much bether with the pile of cash they have..steve jobs - "products before stocks".shure he not meant - "money before consumers??(the last option makes some sense...
  • Reply 17 of 28
    is Penryn better than Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Extreme?
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebeat View Post

is Penryn better than Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Extreme?

The main difference is that Penryn is fabbed on a 45nm process rather than a 65nm process so that it uses less power, runs cooler, and can be clocked faster. It also has more cache and other tweaks for improved performance that are made easier by the die shrink.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by funkyfoe View Post

I wanna see:
    • Penryn 2.5/2.6 with 2.8 BTO

• GeForce 8700M GT 256/512 WITH BETTER nVIDIA DRIVERS

• 2/4 gb ram

• new BluRay capable Superdrive as standard

• 200gb 5400rpm/250gb 7200rpm hard drives

• design evolution with keyboard update (media keys as seen in the MB) and integrated fingerprint reader

Penryn Mobile is expected Q1 2008 at 2.1-2.6Ghz

GeForce 8700m sounds good with 256MB of RAM and BTO 512MB options

4GB RAM support is a given. We have that now. I don't care what Apple ships standard

Blu-ray drive is NOT happening. The only slot load drive is a Panasonic playback device

A 200GB 7200rpm drive would be my choice. A Pro laptop should standardize on 7200 rpm.

No real need for media keys. That's hokey PC laptop kind of stuff. Front Row and a remote is all that's needed.

Fingerprint reader= corny faux security.

How about Apple hop on the DisplayPort bandwagon? Smaller connector and backwards compatibility with DVI make it a no-brainer.

Again..I'd love to see a dock. If I'm a road warrior I want fast and stable connections to my peripherals and network. Unplugging/replugging cables is so caveman.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by todA View Post

in january of course!!thats the update of mbp..

with leds,penryn,more v-ram ore 8700 gt(8800 unlikely to hapend)

And blueray.

if not apple is milking the people once again..(selling yesterday technology...when they could do so much bether with the pile of cash they have..steve jobs - "products before stocks".shure he not meant - "money before consumers??(the last option makes some sense...

Yeah because there are so many laptops with Firewire 800, 400 and DVI ports. I don't think Apple is milking anyone but rather they simply aren't catering to spec whores.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

A Pro laptop should standardize on 7200 rpm.

I hope not. I don't want a 7200rpm drive in my laptop. I prefer the quieter, more reliable, lower power consuming 5400 rpm drives.