Apple and T-Mobile unveil iPhone rate plans for Germany

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 40
    No it does not count as part of that transfer.

    I read it somewhere on T-Mobile don't rember where
  • Reply 22 of 40
    pachpach Posts: 3member
    Anyways this is not what I would call UNLIMITED DATA TRANSFER
  • Reply 23 of 40
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pach View Post


    Anyways this is not what I would call UNLIMITED DATA TRANSFER



    Heh. In England, O2's iPhone plan is 200MB/month transfer... on all three plans (as far as I'm aware).



    5 gig is pretty generous. I could live with 1 gig without too much trouble. But 0.2 gig? Better not use that youtube feature...



    Amorya
  • Reply 24 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post


    Heh. In England, O2's iPhone plan is 200MB/month transfer... on all three plans (as far as I'm aware).



    5 gig is pretty generous. I could live with 1 gig without too much trouble. But 0.2 gig? Better not use that youtube feature...



    Amorya



    Really it ssays unlimited here http://www.o2.co.uk/iPhone-Tariffs.html



    But some kind of fair usuage policy applies whats that?
  • Reply 25 of 40
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Wow, this is daylight robbery



    I have no problem with the 399 EUR, but T-Mobile really overcharges on the textmessages and overtime minutes. No way I'm going to buy an iPhone right now. Unfortunately this probably means I won't buy one the next three years...
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post


    Heh. In England, O2's iPhone plan is 200MB/month transfer... on all three plans (as far as I'm aware).



    5 gig is pretty generous. I could live with 1 gig without too much trouble. But 0.2 gig? Better not use that youtube feature...



    Amorya



    This is what says in their Fair use policy:



    "What about excessive network usage?

    There is no limit on the monthly network usage. However if we feel that your activities are so excessive that other customers are detrimentally affected, we may give you a written warning (by email or otherwise). In extreme circumstances, if the levels of activity do not immediately decrease after the warning, we may terminate or suspend your Services"




    Source:

    http://www.o2.co.uk/termsconditions/broadband

    (click in Fair and acceptable usage policy terms & conditions)



    No sure if this is what applies to the Iphone tho
  • Reply 27 of 40
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pach View Post


    This is what says in their Fair use policy:



    "What about excessive network usage?

    There is no limit on the monthly network usage. However if we feel that your activities are so excessive that other customers are detrimentally affected, we may give you a written warning (by email or otherwise). In extreme circumstances, if the levels of activity do not immediately decrease after the warning, we may terminate or suspend your Services"




    Source:

    http://www.o2.co.uk/termsconditions/broadband

    (click in Fair and acceptable usage policy terms & conditions)



    No sure if this is what applies to the Iphone tho



    It would not surprise me. AT&T's iPhone policies are often exceptions to their standard policy.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pach View Post


    This is what says in their Fair use policy:



    "What about excessive network usage?

    There is no limit on the monthly network usage. However if we feel that your activities are so excessive that other customers are detrimentally affected, we may give you a written warning (by email or otherwise). In extreme circumstances, if the levels of activity do not immediately decrease after the warning, we may terminate or suspend your Services"




    Source:

    http://www.o2.co.uk/termsconditions/broadband

    (click in Fair and acceptable usage policy terms & conditions)



    No sure if this is what applies to the Iphone tho



    Well it does apply to the iPhone in the UK, and no thats not the same thing as in Germany.

    In germany you do not get a letter in Germany, in Germany they just slow down your internet to ISDN speeds once you reach a specific limit
  • Reply 29 of 40
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gsteeno View Post


    How difficult is Visual Voice to implement?



    If the voicemail system's back-end has been well implemented one needs to swap the voice-based front-end with a web-based.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluedalmatian View Post


    why is apple so hell bent on restricting the iphone to these overpriced,locked in contracts? doesnt it want to sell as many hardware units as possible? im a shareholder and i have grave conerns about this



    Apple's money is in the monthly plans, not in the hardware sale. By far.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post


    Apple's money is in the monthly plans, not in the hardware sale. By far.



    Best estimates are that Apple gets around $15/month, which is $360 over two years. Compare that to $399 at one time...
  • Reply 32 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AtomicGarden View Post


    good morning



    it's because t-mobile is one of the most expensive providers in germany. they always were - not only are their mobile phone rates overpriced, but their land line calls where hideous until competition started back in 1998. that's what you get with monopolies running any market. there are way cheaper rates out there, most on the e-plus network. i personally would never do the switch to t-mobile, just because this company is still way to influential over here.



    cheers,

    jan



    So, why are they still way too influential, despite being one of the most expensive in Germany?
  • Reply 33 of 40
    irelandireland Posts: 17,793member
    Good God that's a fucking rip-off.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    Good God that's a fucking rip-off.



    In what way?
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    Hmmm.... I am waiting to hear from all our "we're-oh-so-advanced-and-inexpensive" European brethren to explain how T-Mobile can get away with these prices!



    By comparison, I can say that I am getting a great deal from my $60 (= 41.67 euros) ATT iPhone plan: 200 SMS, 450 day+3000 wknd & nite mins, and unlimited data.



    Can't wait to hear the entrails of the plans in France and the UK. I have no doubt there are a couple of more surprises waiting to happen!



    T-Mobile Germany are very expensive. So are O2 in the UK though not so much as T-Mobile Germany. Add to that Apple's kickback from the carrier and the contracts are extortionate.



    If you want something advanced and inexpensive, buy a Nokia or SE not an Apple. You'll get a free phone, better contract and more advanced handset.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    So, why are they still way too influential, despite being one of the most expensive in Germany?



    Well why are people still using Windows?

    Or Apple for that matter, its also expensive after all.



    T-Mobile is first of all teh standard choice as it was the monopoly of the state, and for landline t-Com still has this monopol you usually don't have a choice and have to use T-Com if you want a proper landline.



    So its just in people's heads to use T-Mobile.



    Also By law they have to have the most wide network and cover all of Germany.



    Other providers like E-Plus only cover metropolitan areas, and even there usually not so well.



    So T-Mobile has a lot of investments but also the best coverage.



    Some people appreciate that and prefer to pay more to get the best coverage.



    And 3rdly E-Plus and Vodafone themselves are actually not that cheap, and there are actually some good contracts from T-Mobile which are not offered for the iPhone.



    The realyl cheap providers, run under other names but use the E-Plus network those include, Aldi, Lidle, Simyo, Blau, Base and probaly a lot more.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    spezispezi Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thorsten View Post


    T-Mobile is first of all teh standard choice as it was the monopoly of the state, and for landline t-Com still has this monopol you usually don't have a choice and have to use T-Com if you want a proper landline.



    So its just in people's heads to use T-Mobile.



    That is true for fixed line phones, but I don't think it's true for mobile phones. When GSM started in 1992, there was competition right from the start (and before GSM, normal people would not even think of getting a mobile phone). And for the first couple of years, D2 (later bought by Vodafone) was actually the market leader. T-Mobile got into the lead position only later.



    Quote:

    Also By law they have to have the most wide network and cover all of Germany.



    I never heard of that. The license conditions are similar for all license holders. They had to cover a certain percentage of the population within a certain time. You probably confuse that with the fixed line service (T-Com has to give you an ISDN land line wherever you are in Germany, for the same price).



    Quote:

    Other providers like E-Plus only cover metropolitan areas, and even there usually not so well.



    You call that "covering metropolitan areas"? :

    http://www.gsmworld.com/cgi-bin/ni_map.pl?cc=de&net=ep



    I often hear that T-Mobile is better on the countryside than Eplus, but saying Eplus only covers metropolitan areas is really a bit unfair...
  • Reply 38 of 40
    irelandireland Posts: 17,793member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    In what way?



    In cost.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spezi View Post


    That is true for fixed line phones, but I don't think it's true for mobile phones. When GSM started in 1992, there was competition right from the start (and before GSM, normal people would not even think of getting a mobile phone). And for the first couple of years, D2 (later bought by Vodafone) was actually the market leader. T-Mobile got into the lead position only later.







    I never heard of that. The license conditions are similar for all license holders. They had to cover a certain percentage of the population within a certain time. You probably confuse that with the fixed line service (T-Com has to give you an ISDN land line wherever you are in Germany, for the same price).







    You call that "covering metropolitan areas"? :

    http://www.gsmworld.com/cgi-bin/ni_map.pl?cc=de&net=ep



    I often hear that T-Mobile is better on the countryside than Eplus, but saying Eplus only covers metropolitan areas is really a bit unfair...



    I didn't say its true for Mobile pones, what I meant is because people have T-Com as their landline they tend to use T-Mobile.

    Uups sorry I actually sad that a bet wrong about the coverage of E-Plus what I meant it that E-Plus concentrates on Metropolitain areas because thats is where you can actually make money.
Sign In or Register to comment.