Lacie dvd burner. Please help.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just bought a Lacie Porsce dvd burner. How do I eject the tray? It doesn't show up at all as a drive. I just went to the Lacie site and saw nothing in regards to this. Can anyone help?

thanx in advance

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    You can do this using CD/DVD burning software like Toast. Possibly Liquid CD.

You can do it via the command line using drutil.

Using /Applications/Utilities/terminal type in:

drutil list

When you hit return, it shows connected burners and a drive number.

then just use:

drutil -drive <number> tray eject

I have two burners on my computer so I could use something like:

drutil -drive 2 tray eject
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

You can do this using CD/DVD burning software like Toast. Possibly Liquid CD.

You can do it via the command line using drutil.

Using /Applications/Utilities/terminal type in:

drutil list

When you hit return, it shows connected burners and a drive number.

then just use:

drutil -drive <number> tray eject

I have two burners on my computer so I could use something like:

drutil -drive 2 tray eject

thanx

that worked but when u have an internal burner (iMac intel) how do i eject the Lacie with the button on the key board?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vagrant Pistol View Post

that worked but when u have an internal burner (iMac intel) how do i eject the Lacie with the button on the key board?

I don't think you can as there's no way for one button to know what drive you mean to eject so it tends to just eject the internal. I can't remember if it ejects both drives if you have discs in them. I never use the eject key to eject discs.

I have an external Lacie burner with a button on it and I use that to open the tray and to eject it and the internal slot loader, I just use the Finder eject icon in the sidebar.

I do have customized keyboard mappings though and I used a piece of software called ControllerMate. That would allow you to bind any of your keys to a shell script that opened the tray you wanted. You can probably also map alt-eject to mean the other tray - you might want to check if alt-eject does what you want first, Apple like to use alt and control at random to deal with multiple options.

You could just put a shell script on your desktop or dock with execute permissions and when you clicked it, it would eject the drive.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I don't think you can as there's no way for one button to know what drive you mean to eject so it tends to just eject the internal. I can't remember if it ejects both drives if you have discs in them. I never use the eject key to eject discs.

I have an external Lacie burner with a button on it and I use that to open the tray and to eject it and the internal slot loader, I just use the Finder eject icon in the sidebar.

I do have customized keyboard mappings though and I used a piece of software called ControllerMate. That would allow you to bind any of your keys to a shell script that opened the tray you wanted. You can probably also map alt-eject to mean the other tray - you might want to check if alt-eject does what you want first, Apple like to use alt and control at random to deal with multiple options.

You could just put a shell script on your desktop or dock with execute permissions and when you clicked it, it would eject the drive.

Thanx Marvin,

You were very helpful!!!