Shredding program needed

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm interested in a shredding program that shreds not only files and folders but will also overwrite blank space on the hard drive (these blank spaces really aren't blank but contain old 'deleted' files). I checked Version Tracker and while there are several shredding programs listed, they seem to focus on shredding only files and folders without offering the blank space overwrite option. I used to use Burn 2.5 under OS 9, but those days are gone. Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    kwondokwondo Posts: 217member
    I haven't used it but saw it when I was using Unrease (was not able to recover my file!). It's from NOrton Utilities 6 that I rebooted from OS 9.2.2. I have heard bad news for Norton 7 for X so...but under 6's Utilities, there is Wipe Info Utility that makes erased files unreadable and unrecoverable. I am guessing that Norton finds the files that you want to wipe and writes zeros on that specific sector so that it is unreadable/unrecoverable. Like I said, I have not used this part of program yet perhaps if I find my name on FBI list or something some day I will :eek:
  • Reply 2 of 5
    pepsipepsi Posts: 55member
    Can't you go to the command line (terminal) and use the -P option in the rm command?

do a "man rm" in terminal (without the quotes of course)
  • Reply 3 of 5
    i own and use one called shredX from mireth technology (www.mireth.com). it provides secure deletion using a choice of overwriting methods and you can also choose the number of rewrites (up to 10 times). drop a file over the shredder icon and it's toast.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    there is also a encrypting program that I run called pgp. It ius shareware and it overwrites files. You can even specify the number of times it overwrights something. I don't know if you can overwright free space, however
  • Reply 5 of 5
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Stuffit Deluxe ships with, I believe, a utility that does exactly (at least, I think it does) what you want. It is called Secure Delete, and works drag-drop just as expander or dropstuff and that ... stuff works.