my iPhone was stolen before i insured it (5 hours after purchase)

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hey all,

I'm here to warn anyone to get insurance as soon as you get your phone on the o2 UK network. heres my story:

I purchased the new Apple iPhone yesterday from The Apple Store in London, Later that day, I travelled to Glasgow for a gig. Before my flight I started the activation process via iTunes on my laptop. Got everything up and running in 15 minutes. nice

After my work had finished that evening, I was absolutely stunned to find that only a few hours after purchase, the phone had been stolen. I reported the theft to the local police, and hoped that Apple and O2 would be able to help me in some way, the next day. But no such luck, i cant cancel the contract, they're refusing to give me a new phone and have been quite rubbish in general. so im basiclly locked into a shiny new contract with no handset on a rubbish network with poor customer services, and for 18 month.

Any ideas? i only owned the thing for like 12 hours - WHAT A ARSE!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    You could try calling the number if you know it and see if it was actually stolen and maybe get an idea of who has it.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    haha, yeah. good idea. That was the first thing i done before i reported it. It rang but no one answered and no one made a call in the few hours before it was barred.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    steste Posts: 119member
    I don't blame them for not giving you a new phone -- I don't mean to sound callous, but it isn't their fault it was stolen -- but O2 could cancel your contract without charge. In fact, I would kick up a fuss until they did just that, if it were me. Is there no 14-day grace period written into the contract?

How on Earth did it get stolen in the first place? I mean, it's a phone; mine pretty much lives in my trouser pocket all day.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ste View Post

I don't blame them for not giving you a new phone -- I don't mean to sound callous, but it isn't their fault it was stolen -- but O2 could cancel your contract without charge. In fact, I would kick up a fuss until they did just that, if it were me. Is there no 14-day grace period written into the contract?

How on Earth did it get stolen in the first place? I mean, it's a phone; mine pretty much lives in my trouser pocket all day.

It was late, there was a free bar... Yeah i totally understand them not wanting to give me a new phone too its just the details with the cancellation i have a trouble with

I cant cancel my contract without returning the iPhone to o2, i dont understand why but without the phone a cant use the 14day cooling off contract thing. Plus the fact no insurance was offered to me at any point, via apple or the internal o2 iTunes activation process.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    steste Posts: 119member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mattrumble View Post

It was late, there was a free bar... Yeah i totally understand them not wanting to give me a new phone too its just the details with the cancellation i have a trouble with

I cant cancel my contract without returning the iPhone to o2, i dont understand why but without the phone a cant use the 14day cooling off contract thing. Plus the fact no insurance was offered to me at any point, via apple or the internal o2 iTunes activation process.

Expensive mistake.

I don't see why you should have to return the phone, though. My understanding of the U.K. deal (not that I've paid it too much mind) is that you bought the phone outright in the same way we did here in the States; it is not subsidised by the service contract. Therefore, the phone is yours to do with as you wish: use it, abuse it, and, in your case, lose it. (Sorry!)

I'd be on the phone swearing at some unfortunate manager. And it that didn't work, I'd be contacting a solicitor.

Good luck, man.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    i was on the phone to a manager for over an hour and got nowhere.

i have since filed an official complaint with the relevant department at o2. i'll keep you posted on developments, not that you're bothered someone might be though!
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Man that is a crazy situation... I'm bothered!!

The phone is yours to smash, lose etc...

Get a solicitor mate, they are taking the royal piss.

Make sure you keep us updated.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    If you bought the phone using a credit card (and what other way was there?)

Then your card company will probably have an insurance policy covering all new purchases.

Contact them.

C.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    unfortunately, i paid for this on my switch debit card so i'm not covered. Hmmm, Apple are being useless too.

Still waiting for a official response from o2 complaints department...

Matt