One ring to rule them all! (okay, actually 2 rings...)

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
So here is the story. Married a number of years, and at some point, my wife lost her wedding band. The ring is a basic 6 mm thick gold band (comfort fit 14k). She was crushed. I replaced it in romantic fashion (with an identical one), and life has moved on.

Years later....and 2 houses later...

I never really thought the ring was lost. In fact, I had decided that I would not throw away a single moving box until I had searched every pocket, and inside every toy (our daughter likes to hide things) It has taken me six years, and going through almost a hundred moving boxes...but guess what? Yeah. I FOUND IT!

I couldn't believe it when it fell out of an old purse I was throwing away along with some old receipts. I was careful to make sure my wife didn't see, and I had it polished at a jeweler. Note: I have to mention that this ring is a half size too small for her now.

So here is the question part... what do I do?

Currently on the table are:

1) Make a video showing the ring (proving that I did in fact find it, and I'm not making up a story). Melt it down, and have something made from it for her. Pop the DVD in on Xmas and when I get to the climax of the iMovie, pop out the jewelry box and surprise her.

2) Resize the ring to her current size, engrave it with something horribly sappy, and then pop the surprise on Xmas. Then have the replacement ring melted and made into something else.

3) Something else entirely.

My question... what would YOU do? I mean how often do you get such a cool opportunity?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Not Unlike Myself View Post

So here is the story. Married a number of years, and at some point, my wife lost her wedding band. The ring is a basic 6 mm thick gold band (comfort fit 14k). She was crushed. I replaced it in romantic fashion (with an identical one), and life has moved on.

Years later....and 2 houses later...

I never really thought the ring was lost. In fact, I had decided that I would not throw away a single moving box until I had searched every pocket, and inside every toy (our daughter likes to hide things) It has taken me six years, and going through almost a hundred moving boxes...but guess what? Yeah. I FOUND IT!

I couldn't believe it when it fell out of an old purse I was throwing away along with some old receipts. I was careful to make sure my wife didn't see, and I had it polished at a jeweler. Note: I have to mention that this ring is a half size too small for her now.

So here is the question part... what do I do?

Currently on the table are:

1) Make a video showing the ring (proving that I did in fact find it, and I'm not making up a story). Melt it down, and have something made from it for her. Pop the DVD in on Xmas and when I get to the climax of the iMovie, pop out the jewelry box and surprise her.

2) Resize the ring to her current size, engrave it with something horribly sappy, and then pop the surprise on Xmas. Then have the replacement ring melted and made into something else.

3) Something else entirely.

My question... what would YOU do? I mean how often do you get such a cool opportunity?

Nice story actually... I did something very similar to your option #1 when I proposed to my wife (thanks iMovie). It was fun to watch her get into the video not really knowing where it was headed and then to spring the engagement ring on her at the right time. She loved it and I enjoyed doing it. Also, she might choose to do something totally different with the original ring than you have in mind right now, so giving it back to her in original form leaves the ultimate decision on what to do, to her. She might appreciate that. Good luck. Sounds like you found treasure!
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Give it to her as a present on a gold chain. She might wear it that way, and has the option to remove it from the chain and do whatever she can to it (resize, repurpose, etc).

As you gave her a replacement in a romantic fashion, can't say whether that one may mean much more now.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Suppose I can tell that part of the story. She lost it 2 days before Valentines and we had to spend it 8 hours away from each other. (she had a family emergency she had to take care of)

I called her and told her I was going to class, and would call her late that night (which I always did from my cell).

I drove all 8 hours at 100+ mph and go there just before dark where she was going to spend the night alone. I called her in the car and spoke to her for over an hour and then rang the door bell. (all the while her not knowing I was en route)

I waiting on the phone as she came downstairs and opened the door. I kneeled and gave her a ring box. She cried. Then I gave her concert tickets for that night and we spent all night in the city having a wild time and at dawn I dropped her back where she was staying and drove the 8 hours back to school.

Totally hard to 1 up that... ya know?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Shit, man. I think it's time to start lowering the bar. 1600 miles? I sincerely hope that any girl I end up dating isn't a friend of your wife's.

I've come to the self-realization that I have no idea how the female mind works and probably never will, but I'm not sure surprise is the best strategy here. Seriously, I think you should go tell her now, and then save surprise for the last 10% of the process, once the basic idea is ironed out. There's a strong chance that she has already considered a dozen options, over the years, in regard to what she'd do with the old ring should she come across it.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    1. Buy an iPod Touch.

2. Make video of you finding ring.

3. Melt ring.

4. Put video on iPod Touch.

5. Use melted gold to gold-plate iPod Touch.

6. Enjoy

(Bonus points for putting your wedding/ first date/ etc

soundtrack onto special playlist preload into iPod Touch).

If you don't plan on having any more kids better get prepared

coz, boy, are you going to get .....................
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Maybe I should hang onto it until our 10 year?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I'd keep it as a replacement and not melt it.

I like the idea of giving it to her as a present on a gold chain

-t
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Not Unlike Myself View Post

...(our daughter likes to hide things) It has taken me six years, and going through almost a hundred moving boxes...but guess what? Yeah. I FOUND IT! ...

Did you ever establish your daughter hid it?

If so, now that she is older and wiser, maybe she might be able to help in presenting it to your wife.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Register the URL honeyIfoundyourweddingring.com and set up a web page walking her through a series of questions about what she'd like to do with it.