2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Little Big Disk.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lirand View Post

So if it's just for Time Machine - No reason to pay extra for Firewire?

Get the firewire I had a USB2 drive and a firewire 400 and 800 drive. I found with USB2 I was getting the colored ball all the time because of time machine. Going to FW400 made it better but going to FW800 corrected the colored ball (system busy) problem completely.

If you work with video/music you should get a FW800 drive.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    I second the G-Tech

I have a G-Safe and I love it. It's perfect!

G-Drive Q is very good I here. No fan so it's REALLY quiet. USB 2 for versatility, FireWire 400, 800, for speed, and eSATA for BLAZING speed.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    steste Posts: 119member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

I second the G-Tech

I have a G-Safe and I love it. It's perfect!

G-Drive Q is very good I here. No fan so it's REALLY quiet. USB 2 for versatility, FireWire 400, 800, for speed, and eSATA for BLAZING speed.

Yay, another vote for G-Tech. I'm surprised they aren't receiving more love here, but whatever.

Although it seems to be somewhat of a crapshoot which cables they send you, G-Tech actually bundled all four in the box I received: USB2, FW400, FW800, and eSATA. I connect at FW800, which is plenty fast for my needs.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

I use Seagate exclusively.

Same here Their Barracuda 7200.1 is one of the best drives around and it only cost 85.00 for a 320 Gig and 119.00 for 500 Gig. 16mb cache and their Perpendicular Recording technology is outstanding! Eventually all hard drives will use perpendicular recording but why wait?
  • Reply 26 of 34
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iHarry View Post

I picked up a Western Digital 1TB My Book at COSTCO and it works fine. You will have to partition it and format for Apple since it ships pre-formatted for windows.

My 500 GB Maxtor OneTouch Plus was the same way.

Only took a few seconds to reformat.

• Reply 27 of 34
    Maxtor HDD is the best for any kind and use. It is compatible with the every mother board as well as response time is very fast. i recommend u to go for it
  • Reply 28 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alicia View Post

It is compatible with the every mother board

All hard drives are compatible with every motherboard...
  • Reply 29 of 34
    I am using the Seagate "Free Agent" 250GB drive with Time Machine. It works fine, is super quiet, and USB-2 is more than adequate.

In fact, I am so pleased with this Seagate that I have ordered a second one.

Good luck to you, whatever you choose.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    yesmanyesman Posts: 1member
    I'm using the Seagate USB drive too... 500 GB version. Just got Leopard and a dual G5 tower.. seems to be working great. I have heard that it might have problems over heating (it gets really hot) because Time Machine keeps in on all the time, so I keep Time Machine off... and do a "Time Machine Back Up" every once in a while, or when I do something important.

But all it all, it works like a charm.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lugesm View Post

I am using the Seagate "Free Agent" 250GB drive with Time Machine. It works fine, is super quiet, and USB-2 is more than adequate.

In fact, I am so pleased with this Seagate that I have ordered a second one.

Good luck to you, whatever you choose.

• Reply 31 of 34
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Chiming in on USB vs firewire...

USB performance is vastly improved since switching to the intel architecture. FW800 is certainly quicker, but FW400 drives are now roughly the same speed as USB drives.

For time machine usage, i'd be more concerned about capacity and price than USB vs FW400.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    Whatever you get make sure it is Firewire because of its steady transfer rate!
  • Reply 33 of 34
    bclapperbclapper Posts: 237member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

For time machine usage, i'd be more concerned about capacity and price than USB vs FW400.

I'd agree, as it's pretty much a background function - apart from the initial set up - you won't notice the transfer rate. If you need to restore you'll be so glad regardless that you saved your data.

If you want to partition your drive and a fast transfer rate for your large media files is important, then Firewire becomes a better option
  • Reply 34 of 34
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bclapper View Post

If you want to partition your drive and a fast transfer rate for your large media files is important, then Firewire becomes a better option

More like: firewire 800 becomes a better option.

The real world bandwidth of usbB2 and fw400 attached disks are nearly identical on intel Macs. There are performance differences that cause fw400 to be better than usb for things like video editing. But average throughput isn't the issue.