dvd output to TV

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I don't have s-video out on my video card. I want to know if there is software that can output my computer screen through firewire. I want to output the video through my dv camera and than into my TV. is there software that does this? and if not could there be?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    It cannot be done presently. Further, this a feature that obviously would allow the copying of DVDs. I don't think it would be done for just that reason alone (under the Digital Millenium Copyright Act or something like that). There is a piece of software, however, that allows you output Quicktime movies and Photoshop files through your firewire port made by a software company called Echo Fire.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    umm... you can output your screen to a TV, or any other video device for that matter, with a firewire bridge. Dazzle and Formac and Sony make them. I've heard Formac's is the best.

These devices provide a cheap option to hook up an analog TV or VCR to your computer. I plan to use it to create a cheap NTSC monitor system for After Effects...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    This is one thing about Apple that really infuriates me. After wasting precious R&D resources on developing their silly ADC feature, Apple STILL lacks a convenient way to display images on a television.

What about Apple's efforts to portray Macs as the prime computers for digital video editing?

What about iMovie?

Obviously it is neither difficult nor expensive to put S-Video ports on Macs, since the iBook has S-Video out. Most, if not all, video cards used by Apple support S-Video out, but they don't actually have it. Why? Because there isn't room on the back of the card for S-Video output, since the ADC connector takes up so much space.

In other words, Apple decided that mac users would rather have ADC than S-Video output.

This is a gaping hole in Apple's feature set and it's a shame because it would cost Apple next to nothing to add S-Video output to Macs. The problem for Apple is that they would have to drop ADC in favor of an industry standard. Imagine the consequences of such a move: Wintel users would be able to buy Cinema displays, more Mac laptop users could buy Apple's LCD displays, basically Apple's entire world would come crashing down if they ditched ADC.

Anyways I just had to rant about Apple neutering their video cards and giving up a truly useful feature like S-Video output for the AMAZING? Apple Display Connector.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by DHagan4755:

<strong>It cannot be done presently. Further, this a feature that obviously would allow the copying of DVDs. I don't think it would be done for just that reason alone (under the Digital Millenium Copyright Act or something like that). There is a piece of software, however, that allows you output Quicktime movies and Photoshop files through your firewire port made by a software company called Echo Fire.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Link?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

[QB]Obviously it is neither difficult nor expensive to put S-Video ports on Macs, since the iBook has S-Video out. Most, if not all, video cards used by Apple support S-Video out, but they don't actually have it. Why? Because there isn't room on the back of the card for S-Video output, since the ADC connector takes up so much space.[QB]<hr></blockquote>

There is plenty of room on the back of a PCI slot for all the neccessary connectors. My mac has DVI,VGA, and SVideo ports on its agp2x slot. ADC is about 6 milimeteres wider and would definately fit. They must be leaving it off for another reason. They could also provide only ADC and SVideo along with a tiny ADC -&gt; VGA adapter.

I suspect video output isn't included since most video cards' TV-out circuitry isn't good enough for professional video production work. Also, most current video cards will effectively halve your video memory when booted with an Svideo cord plugged in. It would be a nice feature but not absolutely neccessary.

Although my radeon has TV-out, I use an external scan converter instead. This allows all 64 megs on the card to be used for one display with the TV mirroring this display. It also allows higher resolution output. You should be able to find a 'scan converter' for less than a hundred bucks. It simply plugs in between your monitor and computer, giving you RCA and Svideo output.