Any Information On Acrobat 6?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Dear Friends

Does anyone have any information on the new features and/or a release date for Acrobat 6? Adobe released 5.0.5 on December 20, 2001, so if Adobe wants to make annual releases, it's just about time.

Sincerely,

Jaddie

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I thought Adobe products were on an 18 month development cycle. Is Acrobat an exception to this?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    One feature that must make it... Native OS X DISTILLER!!!
  • Reply 3 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>One feature that must make it... Native OS X DISTILLER!!!</strong><hr></blockquote>

with all adobe apps able to save out to pdf natively, i wouldn't hold my breath on that one. why give the competition any help? perhaps a third party app will come along and fill the void.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    There already are a few, including open-source stuff.

[ 11-06-2002: Message edited by: BuonRotto ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Do the 3rd party stuff support press optimized (+2400dpi) and the adjusting of color and greyscale downsampling? I don't see anything on versiontracker.
  • Reply 6 of 15

<strong>Do the 3rd party stuff support press optimized (+2400dpi) and the adjusting of color and greyscale downsampling? I don't see anything on versiontracker.</strong><hr></blockquote>

there is no real hurry until quark is native, since that will be the biggest market. but knowing how quickly quark moves, i doubt it will be any time soon.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    jaddiejaddie Posts: 110member

<strong>One feature that must make it... Native OS X DISTILLER!!!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Dear Outsider &amp; Friends

An OS X-native version of Distiller would be worth the price of the full Acrobat.

PDFs saved from Quartz are very different from&mdash;and most often inferior to&mdash;PDFs created with Distiller. To make some PDFs, I have to boot in OS 9 and then run Distiller. For a reason that&rsquo;s currently unknown to me, PDFs generated from Distiller running in Classic just aren&rsquo;t the same as those generated while booted from OS 9.

Sincerely,

Jaddie

[ 11-07-2002: Message edited by: Jaddie ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Also with Distiller you can finely tune your PDF files while getting the maximum quality but less disk space taken up by the files. This is quite important when you send your files via something like Wamnet that charges by the size of files. Anything to lessen the amount of time it takes sending 80-100 PDF files over ftp is worth it.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    I think PStill from Stone is as close as it gets to Distiller. After all, it's also a distillery. I'm not sure about your professional needs, Outsider, but for my more casual uses at home, it does a fine job.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    If it doesn't, Andrew Stone's a great guy, and he would probably be receptive to feature requests.
  • Reply 11 of 15

<strong>Do the 3rd party stuff support press optimized (+2400dpi) and the adjusting of color and greyscale downsampling? I don't see anything on versiontracker.</strong><hr></blockquote>

NO. For "real" PDFs (aka press-ready, professional quality), you need to go to the mothership: Adobe.
  • Reply 12 of 15

<strong>Also with Distiller you can finely tune your PDF files while getting the maximum quality but less disk space taken up by the files. This is quite important when you send your files via something like Wamnet that charges by the size of files. Anything to lessen the amount of time it takes sending 80-100 PDF files over ftp is worth it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

wamnet. now there's a name i haven't heard in some time. too lazy to see what they've been up to. they tried to sell me on some of their newer services, back a 2 or 3 years ago. couldn't see a need for them at the time seeing how we had a nice fat net connection. do they still have the cute little purple boxes with the sgi guts in them?
  • Reply 13 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by running with scissors:

<strong>

wamnet. now there's a name i haven't heard in some time. too lazy to see what they've been up to. they tried to sell me on some of their newer services, back a 2 or 3 years ago. couldn't see a need for them at the time seeing how we had a nice fat net connection. do they still have the cute little purple boxes with the sgi guts in them?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yep and there's a rubber chicken in them if you open it up.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by dstranathan:

<strong>

NO. For "real" PDFs (aka press-ready, professional quality), you need to go to the mothership: Adobe.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thank you. For companies who rely on PDF for their workflow, the 3rd party solutions out there are a joke.
  • Reply 15 of 15

<strong>For companies who rely on PDF for their workflow, the 3rd party solutions out there are a joke.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Is there a specific, that is, a technical reason for that? Or is it a branding/trust issue for insisting on Adobe?

Adobe may not have an interest in Distiller since all their apps make this stuff natively without needing a distillery to translate the files. I imagine they could use this to force some turnover/upgrading to their other big products, especially InDesign and Illustrator.