Apple sub-notebook to retail for $1500, 3G iPhone by June - report

Comments

• Reply 81 of 140
    2 screen sizes is good. Hmm...I hope it will be similarly specced as the MBP which mean it comes with a dedicated graphic card, but I guess my hope is very thin.
  • Reply 82 of 140
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

3G with 16GB storage sounds good to me. I would sell my current iPhone and buy the new one.

If we can be certain of anything the sub-notebook will not have a dedicated GPU.

If it is late 2008 then it better be at least 32GB with GPS and a 5 megapixel flash camera.
  • Reply 83 of 140
    I for one, am excited about this coming out. Seemingly it will make for a great notebook to bring along around campus if only for the light weight and small dimensions. I've never had much use for large hard drives and my optical drive is seeing less and less CD's these days. I'm all for stripping these for the possibility of a 1/2" thin laptop. Go Apple!
  • Reply 84 of 140
    id love an ultraportable with a SSD....thing is...32 - 64GB is very limited....and if theres no optical drive then i may turn away...
  • Reply 85 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

unless there is some definite new features which were not in current macbook pro (except 12" screen size) then what is new here? can you call this as a new product and get interested?

What about "Weighs a kilo and goes a long time without charging" doesn't constitute as new feature-set?
  • Reply 86 of 140
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    I'm concerned about the possible lack of a GPU. What is the maximum resolution external monitor that can be driven by the X3100?
  • Reply 87 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmedia1 View Post

If Apple can get a 3G iPhone built that includes DUN, I'll buy it, until then, the lack of offically supported DUN is a deal breaker for me. AT&T is also an issue, but that's another post...

3G and DUN is where I jump in too.

There are a few other things that I'd miss on my trusty old Treo (List Pro, especially) but I'd get over 'em, and third party apps might eventually close those gaps too.
  • Reply 88 of 140
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    The more I think of it, the more likely I think it seems with a touch based device. If indeed this notebook would have the same specs as a MacBook just thinner, less storage, less ports and no optical drive then it just wouldn't make sense. All specs would be equal or lower than a MacBook except for portability. It wouldn't be enough cool to justify a pro price tag or the device's place in the lineup. I think it must have a unique selling point, and I'm more and more leaning towards touch. I can imagine touch navigation being the last delayed "big secret" of Leopard.
  • Reply 89 of 140
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Indeed. IMHO, a keyboard with its required key travel distance is a major contributor to thickness in Apple laptops. I really can't imagine how you could squeeze a decent full-travel (or even awful limited-travel) keyboard into something half as thick as a Macbook. Knock out the keyboard and it looks fairly easy from an engineering standpoint.
  • Reply 90 of 140
    Apple should use the OLPC screen to reduce cost and lengthen battery life.
  • Reply 91 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I'm concerned about the possible lack of a GPU. What is the maximum resolution external monitor that can be driven by the X3100?

On the 13" MacBook, it can get up to 1920 by 1200 external resolution.

I don't know for certain exactly what is meant by page 3 of this document:

http://download.intel.com/products/g...hics_guide.pdf

But one possible interpretation is that it can get external resolutions up to 2048x1536.
  • Reply 92 of 140
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

On the 13" MacBook, it can get up to 1920 by 1200 external resolution.

I don't know for certain exactly what is meant by page 3 of this document:

http://download.intel.com/products/g...hics_guide.pdf

But one possible interpretation is that it can get external resolutions up to 2048x1536.

It's possible through the analog jacks, but I think it's just beyond what the specs for single-link DVI allows. It's doable if you have a CRT, but everything is so small and it would be a bit blurry.
  • Reply 93 of 140
    Subnotebook huh? Slim like hell...wow yeah...NAND...great...battery life for a month...really?

Whatever!

What about the entry level user? Student? Or someone that's just fed up with windows n has been duiyinf for an Apple laptop? What abt someone that's not in business, just wants a fancy laptop for all the fun stuff things apple is famous for? Make movies n pass them on to friends? Share pix or copy cd's with music for his mates? What about someone that doesn't really care how much more battery a HD would suck coz he won't be travelling to Cambodia next thing in the morning where he probably doesn't even know what the wall sockets look like? In other words...

...WHAT ABOUT THE MACBOOK????

The laptop that has made Apple so recognisable? Everyone's been going on abt the sub notebook as if portability suddenly became the outmost feature of every laptop on the surface of this planet!

N the poor macbook has seen a design update since we didn't know what Carbon Dioxide is n everything was made outta plastic!

N please I've been collecting penny upon penny the money to get one exactly as I want it n before I click on "order" I have to wait till MacWorld. N above that no one will even care about a fun great looking regular MacBook!

Any updates.....? Please!
  • Reply 94 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mind_Fast View Post

Subnotebook huh? Slim like hell...wow yeah...NAND...great...battery life for a month...really?

Whatever!

What about the entry level user? Student? Or someone that's just fed up with windows n has been duiyinf for an Apple laptop? What abt someone that's not in business, just wants a fancy laptop for all the fun stuff things apple is famous for? Make movies n pass them on to friends? Share pix or copy cd's with music for his mates? What about someone that doesn't really care how much more battery a HD would suck coz he won't be travelling to Cambodia next thing in the morning where he probably doesn't even know what the wall sockets look like? In other words...

The laptop that has made Apple so recognisable? Everyone's been going on abt the sub notebook as if portability suddenly became the outmost feature of every laptop on the surface of this planet!

N the poor macbook has seen a design update since we didn't know what Carbon Dioxide is n everything was made outta plastic!

N please I've been collecting penny upon penny the money to get one exactly as I want it n before I click on "order" I have to wait till MacWorld. N above that no one will even care about a fun great looking regular MacBook!

Ummmm..... could someone please translate.
  • Reply 95 of 140
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Ummmm..... could someone please translate.

I think the poster craves a MBP in a 13" or smaller package for casual use 'N digital life applications, and won't invest savings until a desirable BTO configuration is achieved at a suitable price point.
  • Reply 96 of 140
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

None of this makes any sense at all. Are you throwing some bad AIM-isms in there? What the hell are 'N' and 'n' supposed to mean? I can make a guess but even doing that, it still doesn't make sense.
  • Reply 97 of 140
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Whatever!

Looks like mom and dad's hard earned money is being well spent on junior's tuition.

Not!
  • Reply 98 of 140
    Hmmm, guess we have to wait 1 more month to check the specs. Darn I wont be at my PC cuz I got National Service. ZZzzzzZzzzzz
  • Reply 99 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Looks like mom and dad's hard earned money is being well spent on junior's tuition.

Not!

I've actually worked very hard for these pennies backtomac n that's why I'm so eager.

If we could stay on the subject as well, I'd really appreciate it so...

...any updates on the fortune of the MacBook, please?
  • Reply 100 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

None of this makes any sense at all. Are you throwing some bad AIM-isms in there? What the hell are 'N' and 'n' supposed to mean? I can make a guess but even doing that, it still doesn't make sense.

N = and

Is there anyone out there actually reading what this is about i/o trying to comment on what I've written?

I didn't mean to make sound complicated but at the end of the day does anyone know the slightest thing about a MacBook update?

I have RSS feeds of every mac related site n I've been checking everyday since August to see when the all-time classic white MacBook will get a makeover...

...nothing, nowhere.