Installing a DVD RW

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I want to install a new DVD RW in my G4 tower. Does anyone know of a good brand and model? Will I have to do anything to make the outer door on the G4 function or will that be automatic?

Would It be better to use an external and what would you recommend?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,333moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I want to install a new DVD RW in my G4 tower. Does anyone know of a good brand and model? Will I have to do anything to make the outer door on the G4 function or will that be automatic?

I personally like the LG drives. They are very cheap and I've burned over 100 DVDs on mine with hardly a single failed burn. Most of those I burned over the course of a couple of years and I recently copied them all to an external hard drive and almost all 400GB of data was intact. I only lost about 20MB of data on one disc.

Some drives aren't supported in apps like itunes and imovie but my LG drive is. Even DVD-Ram is supported. DVD-Ram discs behave like hard drives. They are also used in my DVD-video recorder so I can read those (that's actually why I got it).

Pioneer usually get a good reputation for quality but they tend to be more expensive. Lite-on (Sony) is quite good too and that's what Lacie tend to use but like I say, I don't know about compatibility with the iapps.

The outer door should function automatically, my dad has a G4 tower and he put an IDE drive in his and the door works fine.

Quote:

Would It be better to use an external and what would you recommend?

I use an external simply because if a burn hangs up, you don't have to wait on your computer freeing itself up again. Hardware devices are outside the system's protective layer so you can't force-quit programs that are waiting for hardware events. So your system will hang up completely - this can happen if you try to force-quite Disk Utility or Toast during a burn. With an external, you just pull the FW or USB plug out and the system frees itself up instantly.

Internal drives save space and cable clutter though. Plus you have to get an enclosure for an external if you don't get a pre-built one. But pre-built ones are more expensive. Lacie external drives can be 5x the price of an IDE drive on its own.

I'd say to get an IDE drive and install it internally first. If you find any trouble with the system hanging or whatever then you can try an external but I think the internal should be fine and it will be the cheapest route to go.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827136120

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827136134
  • Reply 2 of 7
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I personally like the LG drives. They are very cheap and I've burned over 100 DVDs on mine with hardly a single failed burn. Most of those I burned over the course of a couple of years and I recently copied them all to an external hard drive and almost all 400GB of data was intact. I only lost about 20MB of data on one disc.

Some drives aren't supported in apps like itunes and imovie but my LG drive is. Even DVD-Ram is supported. DVD-Ram discs behave like hard drives. They are also used in my DVD-video recorder so I can read those (that's actually why I got it).

Pioneer usually get a good reputation for quality but they tend to be more expensive. Lite-on (Sony) is quite good too and that's what Lacie tend to use but like I say, I don't know about compatibility with the iapps.

The outer door should function automatically, my dad has a G4 tower and he put an IDE drive in his and the door works fine.

I use an external simply because if a burn hangs up, you don't have to wait on your computer freeing itself up again. Hardware devices are outside the system's protective layer so you can't force-quit programs that are waiting for hardware events. So your system will hang up completely - this can happen if you try to force-quite Disk Utility or Toast during a burn. With an external, you just pull the FW or USB plug out and the system frees itself up instantly.

Internal drives save space and cable clutter though. Plus you have to get an enclosure for an external if you don't get a pre-built one. But pre-built ones are more expensive. Lacie external drives can be 5x the price of an IDE drive on its own.

I'd say to get an IDE drive and install it internally first. If you find any trouble with the system hanging or whatever then you can try an external but I think the internal should be fine and it will be the cheapest route to go.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827136120

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827136134

Thanks Marvin. As usual, you come through.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    If the drive you choose isn't supported by iTunes etc, there's an app called Patchburn which solves it. I used it recently when I fitted an Optiarc (Sony/NEC) drive to my G3 PB after the OE LG failed due to a split ribbon. I opted for this drive as there was a firmware fix available to make it RPC1 multiregion for DVD playback.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Yes I think Marvin's suggestions are very good for you.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    To date, I'm using Panther 3.9, but intend to upgrade to Tiger after installing the DVD burner. Do you know if Tiger iDVD supports a non-SuperDrive? I don't think Panther iDVD does. As my computer is an 800 G4, it won't support Leopard. If Tiger doesn't support 3rd party DVD's, what software would you recommend? I don't want to put a lot of $$ into this DVD venture.

I plan to give this computer to a lady friend after I get the NEW MID-TOWER Jobs will introduce in January. I haven't made up my mind - Mini or iMac, but Marvin and SMEE have me leaning toward the Mini - if it still exists after January 15.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    My 400 G3 PB is running the Optiarc Superdrive perfectly well. Patchburn fixes the iApps and the firmware flashed to RPC1 for multiregion DVD playback, all for £26 ($55) IIRC.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,333moderator
    Quote:

To date, I'm using Panther 3.9, but intend to upgrade to Tiger after installing the DVD burner. Do you know if Tiger iDVD supports a non-SuperDrive?

It lets you save as an image so you can burn in Disk Utility or Toast. It's best not to use idvd for burning because I find it's not very reliable. It's also pretty slow.

Quote:

I plan to give this computer to a lady friend after I get the NEW MID-TOWER Jobs will introduce in January. I haven't made up my mind - Mini or iMac, but Marvin and SMEE have me leaning toward the Mini - if it still exists after January 15.

The iMac is technically the better machine but the Mini has a better form factor and is cheaper to run overall. Neither machine is ideal unfortunately but I think you'd prefer the Mini - we can only hope that Apple don't screw us over this year again.