Apple to launch TV downloads on iTunes Store Canada

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Considering that "pirating" shows for personal use is legal in Canada, I'm thinking bringing this content to iTunes.ca is a little too little, a little too late.

I mean, if you can legally get the content for free, why would you pay for it?

Unfortunately, this little number gets repeated now and again. The truth is that there was no law that covered the downloading of digital content until last year. When the press was circulating about this, people got it into their heads that this made it legal somehow, but it was simply a loophole and never made it "right". The laws have since been rectified and it is illegal to download commercial content. It has always been illegal to upload commercial content, since that falls under the law of making a copy and giving it to someone else. Every movie has the boilerplate text that covers that.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    Shows are up. Look like a nice little selection to begin including some surprises like Rick Mercer Report. I expect to see more added over the next while but it is nice to finally be moving forward on this. Bring on the Movies too!!
  • Reply 23 of 25
    So right now basically we have:

CBC -> Little Mosque on the Prairie, Dragons' Den, No Opportunity Wasted, Rick Mercer Report

Comedy Central -> South Park, Drawn Together, Sarah Silverman Show

CTV -> Robson Arms, Degrassi: TNG, Instant Star, Corner Gas

NHL -> Stanley Cup Classics

There appear to be a few others, such as "The Hills" and "Avatar: The Last Airbender" (?), but you can't browse every title, so it's hard to say what's there.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McDave View Post

Though they seem to have globalised content on the music store, hopefully they follow with video content. In fact they're screwed if they don't. There seem to be too many reasons for considering alternative services.

There used to be 400+ TV shows on the US iTS and surely no other country's broadcast networks can carry all of that - if a TV show isn't being marketed in an country with an iTunes store you'd have thought Apple would have been mopping up the deals and getting presence!

With all this NBC nonsense you'd also think that Apple were going to hit back with HD/Rentals/Global to adjust the balance. He IS Disney after all!

The music really isn't globalized as far as I'm aware, it's just available in more stores. It takes some silly tricks to be able able to order from other stores to get tracks that aren't available in a given region.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The music really isn't globalized as far as I'm aware, it's just available in more stores. It takes some silly tricks to be able able to order from other stores to get tracks that aren't available in a given region.

Yeah, we had a huge bump of 2 million to just shy of 6 million tracks here in the NZ store. I'm sure a lot of it was down to iTunes Plus & EMI being desperate but it's not far off globalisation. Obviously there's a difference in the top 10s but some of music tastes are just odd.

McD