I am joyfully dancing on the grave of Wikipedia

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Recently Wikipedia has been sucking badly. Trying to be more "academic" by ploughing in more references, and deleting simple informative articles as "spam" and not needing "references", and marking articles as "stub", "incomplete", "don't write articles about your friend", etc.

Good riddance Wikipedia, you were interesting in the first few years, now you're rubbish.

Long live "Knol" from our benevolent overlords Google. I anticipate this will bury Wikirubbish in about 2 years time.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2007/...ontribute.html

Hopefully in 2-5 years Google Knol technology will be a dominant platform for corporate, small-medium enterprise, and education networks knowledge management systems.

Wiki paved the way, but I am cheering Google on to finish the job with this knowledge management stuff.

The initial screenshots look promising, makes a whole lot more sense straight away then Wikipedia which has not really updated the interface for a long time, besides adding more and more warnings about "this is written in blah blah blah style needs to be cleaned up blah blah blah".

Warning, image below is very very "long".

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    It looks good. I don't know if it will overtake Wikipedia (regardless of quality). Wikipedia is a great tool to quickly find some general info about a topic. I don't think it was ever intended to replace scholarly research, but because it is quick and painless many people did use it for such research.

Besides, going to Google.com for everything just doesn't sit well with me.

Dave