What happened with the development of Desk Top Publishing at Apple?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
For more than two year 3 nothing happened in this field. The latest development was Colorsynk. If you look at the monitors with the flatpanels LCD, to my opinion are not an improvement over the RCT tubes.

I am looking for a four colour process monitors producing the real thing. Producing a smoot and racer sharp image, RGB and YMCK all in one. I like to be able to see on screen my designs on different types of paper or other materials. There are so many holes to fill there. There is nothing that indicates that brings screen and print more together. The DTP applications we have today are the same for years now. Nothing new there. What is I see on screen is what I want in print.

Anyhow, like I am saying, it?s all quiet out there!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I'm not sure how a company could create a CMYK monitor. That would certainly solve most of the problems of color accuracy though.

Apple toyed with this idea of FontSync in OS 9. They tucked it way somewhere, but I'm not sure where that stands now or really what it did.

Also, adopting the pdf spec for their display layer and creating Quartz compositing is a real breakthrough in display technology. Problem is, most of the software that people are using from Macromedia, and Adobe (and obviously Quark too) doesn't really use this technology to great advantage (yet). The pdf display layer is essentially, or maybe just theoretically, a more WYSIWYG (what-you-see-is-what-you-get) display too. Certainly, it ties the display closer to print output.

[ 12-05-2002: Message edited by: BuonRotto ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 5
    It would for Apple or any other company a smashing thing to develop. A real innovation like this would bring Apple back on top in the publishing world. I agree, how do you make such a device.

I don?t see it the way as you describing PDF getting closer to print. It would be the same as producing a high res tiff image form your lay-out. PDF is nice as a platform/resolution independent (besides the pixel images) document exchanger. Maybe it predicts in proofing how the type will come out but not the colours.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    What he means is an app that would show the color shift effected by printing on each type of paper-its possible to do,it involves basically using ICC profiles in reversethe only problem is going through the work of creating the ICC profiles from printed output.Truthfully you will never get completely accurate color matching between screen and print,because RGB and CMYK have different color gamuts.I do like the idea of the CMYK monitors,I think that could solve a lot of problems.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by Rick1138:

<strong>I do like the idea of the CMYK monitors,I think that could solve a lot of problems.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Considering that the CMYK colour model is subtractive, while RGB is additive, I'd say that it's impossible to create a CMYK monitor. Well, at least until someone invents something that can absorb mass amounts of light and can be triggered on and off easily.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Yeah, unless they develop this "digital paper" that reflects color rather than projects it, there would still be this kind of translation process that's required between screen and print.